• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon they'll continue with Nicholls opening with Guptill? Allen hasn't played a ODI yet and the Guptill-Nicholls combo has averaged 41 over 17 matches. I guess they're done with George Worker, who at 32, is not seen as the future despite hitting 4 list A tons last season at an average over 80. Do you think current location of players would have impact on squad choice, in terms of flight costs etc? By comparison, Allen averaged under 40, but I guess if he's there for T20s and he's seen as a prospect, he gets the nod over Worker.

Assume the first ODI XI will look like:
1. Guptill
2. Nicholls
3. Phillips
4. Young
5. Latham+
6. Bracewell
7. Santner
8. Henry
9. Milne
10. Tickner
11. Ferguson

With Allen coming in for Nicholls or Guptill at some point in the series.

Could also see Cleaver playing at 6 if Phillips plays and one of the seamers missing out. Don't see them not playing Latham, and imagine they'd keep him keeping so his skills don't diminish in the road to the WC.
Will Bracewell play ahead of Sodhi as second spinner? Santner-Sodhi combination is set in limited overs, isn't it?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Will Bracewell play ahead of Sodhi as second spinner? Santner-Sodhi combination is set in limited overs, isn't it?
Honestly don't know. I could see them playing all three with 3 seamers. Seems a more likely setup, especially with the next WC in India

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
1. Guptill
2. Nicholls
3. Phillips
4. Young
5. Latham+
6. Bracewell
7. Santner
8. Henry
9. Milne
10. Tickner
11. Ferguson
I know Santner batted well for ND last season but he still looks too high at 7. I'd rather have another batter/allrounder ahead of him. Shame they didn't pick Mitchell, Neesham, or Chapman in the ODI squad - would balance the team a lot (or give Nathan Smith a debut).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I know Santner batted well for ND last season but he still looks too high at 7. I'd rather have another batter/allrounder ahead of him. Shame they didn't pick Mitchell, Neesham, or Chapman in the ODI squad - would balance the team a lot (or give Nathan Smith a debut).
True. He has played most of his games at 8. If you were playing both Santner and Sodhi, but also wanted 3 seamers, Santner bats seven or...Henry does. I have a feeling, if Phillips plays 3, he'd be the 6th bowler instead of Bracewell, and we could see a lower order of Clever @ 6, Santner, Henry, Tickner, Sodhi, Ferguson.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bizarre that Neesham in the T20I squad but not ODI - imo he's probably still in our best XI for ODIs but is more borderline in T20s where his bowling is just too risky. Guess they're treating it as much as a development tour as anything else, so perhaps shouldn't read too much into the squads named.

Though we're firmly hitched to the M Bracewell wagon now, it seems.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Would have liked to see nathan smith instead of mike bracewell but can't complain....they look like some exciting squads! Lots of pace in there...love to see it on show. Ireland and scotland better have a speed gun for these fixtures because they usually don't

Mike5181

International Captain
Reckon they'll continue with Nicholls opening with Guptill? Allen hasn't played a ODI yet and the Guptill-Nicholls combo has averaged 41 over 17 matches. I guess they're done with George Worker, who at 32, is not seen as the future despite hitting 4 list A tons last season at an average over 80. Do you think current location of players would have impact on squad choice, in terms of flight costs etc? By comparison, Allen averaged under 40, but I guess if he's there for T20s and he's seen as a prospect, he gets the nod over Worker.

1. Guptill
2. Nicholls
3. Phillips
4. Young
5. Latham+
6. Bracewell
7. Santner
8. Henry
9. Milne
10. Tickner
11. Ferguson

With Allen coming in for Nicholls or Guptill at some point in the series.

Could also see Cleaver playing at 6 if Phillips plays and one of the seamers missing out. Don't see them not playing Latham, and imagine they'd keep him keeping so his skills don't diminish in the road to the WC.
This would be the first time Milne and Ferguson have played an ODI together.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not about whether he's good or not... he's bloody good but what's the point of him playing after the test series. He'll be mentally drained and it serves no purpose really playing against Ireland. These games should have been used to trial few more players from the domestic I feel. These opportunities don't come often (although looks like we are only playing these sides of late in white ball cricket).
OK, fair enough - my viewpoint would be he's an international cricketer, who actually hasn't been on the road that long. He's played 3 Tests, wasn't an IPL player, has been off the park since March, and that's the demands of international cricket. I think it serves a lot of purpose. We need a captain. We need runs, to win matches. We haven't played a lot of ODIs - if he's in our best XI, he needs to play.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought the same thing, he's flavour of the month too, seems odd...
I find that odd too, it has to be a rest thing. He was in the IPL although didn't play a lot. You'd think he's 100% in our best ODI side, and he hasn't played once since March 2021, so it is odd.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Really happy to see Allen, Sears, Phillips and Rippon making the squads. Finally get to see some players who're under 30 making the squad. Still don't understand what is the point in playing Latham and Nicholls against Ireland.

Also happy to see Neesham, definitely don't think Macewell is good enough to make all formats ahead of everyone at the moment but good for him.
Such a great contraction.