• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He wasn't going to be a black cap. Probably hunting a good normal job.
Yeah if you're not playing international cricket by your late 20s you're probably not going to be making a great living from cricket

The odd late-bloomer, or T20 franchise star aside.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Like the article says he wasn't sure if he was going to get a contract. Maybe his first love was keeping and he knew he'd fallen behind Chu and Jacob Cumming is the exciting new Otago opening option (and the son of an Otago great) if he kicks on (only 18).

Otago potentially has quite a decent top 7 for the first time in decades:
Rutherford, Cumming, D Phillips, G Phillips, Kelly, Foxcroft, Chu (wk)

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Like the article says he wasn't sure if he was going to get a contract. Maybe his first love was keeping and he knew he'd fallen behind Chu and Jacob Cumming is the exciting new Otago opening option (and the son of an Otago great) if he kicks on (only 18).

Otago potentially has quite a decent top 7 for the first time in decades:
Rutherford, Cumming, D Phillips, G Phillips, Kelly, Foxcroft, Chu (wk)
I think there is going to be more exodus from Otago is what I hear.

nzfan

Really happy to see Allen, Sears, Phillips and Rippon making the squads. Finally get to see some players who're under 30 making the squad. Still don't understand what is the point in playing Latham and Nicholls against Ireland.

Also happy to see Neesham, definitely don't think Macewell is good enough to make all formats ahead of everyone at the moment but good for him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Really happy to see Allen, Sears, Phillips and Rippon making the squads. Finally get to see some players who're under 30 making the squad. Still don't understand what is the point in playing Latham and Nicholls against Ireland.

Also happy to see Neesham, definitely don't think Macewell is good enough to make all formats ahead of everyone at the moment but good for him.
Latham scored 140 against Netherlands last summer, we were a great chance of losing if he didn't. He's in our best XI, and he's the captain. He has to play. Nicholls I'm not a massive fan of in ODIs especially as an opener, but they clearly think he's of worth in that format.

nzfan

Latham scored 140 against Netherlands last summer, we were a great chance of losing if he didn't. He's in our best XI, and he's the captain. He has to play. Nicholls I'm not a massive fan of in ODIs especially as an opener, but they clearly think he's of worth in that format.
It's not about whether he's good or not... he's bloody good but what's the point of him playing after the test series. He'll be mentally drained and it serves no purpose really playing against Ireland. These games should have been used to trial few more players from the domestic I feel. These opportunities don't come often (although looks like we are only playing these sides of late in white ball cricket).

jcas0167

International Debutant
Santner to captain the T20 side - can't recall him captaining any teams previously? I imagine he has the temperament and experience to do a reasonable job.

nzfan

Looking at those squads, all the players that went to IPL and played tests were not considered. Those that played tests were considered only for one dayers vs Ireland. Barring Macewell of course, he's been with the test squad all along and then both the white ball squads.

Tickener has got back in the squad and will be part of both the white ball squad. Duffy makes the one day squad after being dropped out of the test squad. Rutherford dropped out of the test squad, got back and sent back again. Rachin out of the test squad and not making the white ball squad. Good thing is he made good of county gig and he will now likely have a better deal with County going forward than Black Caps. Quietly he'd be thinking please don't offer me a contract next year. County deals are more valuable than black caps ones. Cam Fletcher injured and headed back home. Otherwise likely he'd have made the t20 squad I think. Barring Rutherford I guess everyone got a bit out of the tour.

Hopefully we'll play some good cricket, win the last test match and end on a positive note.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Reckon they'll continue with Nicholls opening with Guptill? Allen hasn't played a ODI yet and the Guptill-Nicholls combo has averaged 41 over 17 matches. I guess they're done with George Worker, who at 32, is not seen as the future despite hitting 4 list A tons last season at an average over 80. Do you think current location of players would have impact on squad choice, in terms of flight costs etc? By comparison, Allen averaged under 40, but I guess if he's there for T20s and he's seen as a prospect, he gets the nod over Worker.

Assume the first ODI XI will look like:
1. Guptill
2. Nicholls
3. Phillips
4. Young
5. Latham+
6. Bracewell
7. Santner
8. Henry
9. Milne
10. Tickner
11. Ferguson

With Allen coming in for Nicholls or Guptill at some point in the series.

Could also see Cleaver playing at 6 if Phillips plays and one of the seamers missing out. Don't see them not playing Latham, and imagine they'd keep him keeping so his skills don't diminish in the road to the WC.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Worker's career has been a bit harsh. He's definitely closer to your classic Modern Day ODI Hero than a "real opener" so I could understand not picking him based on FC record but a) they've shown no qualms about picking whoever they like regardless of FC record and b) when he briefly moved into our FC middle order he was really good before top order pressures pushed him back up top. Lack of good FC openers mean Auckland are also trying to make it work.

I used to think it was a structure issue. Like Guptill he can accelerate and hit the ball a very long way but tends to prefer batting through the innings like Guptill does. Worker is unsurpassed among Ford Trophy regulars for setting a platform and going big. However the Nicholls selection beyond the world cup knock outs emergency shows the selectors also have no issues with two platform setters.

He should definitely have had more opportunities with all the form loss and injuries to Guptill, Munro's long run of low scores, Nicholls being bounced around the order etc. Worker takes his opportunities in JAMODIs when he rarely gets them so I just think the selectors don't rate him. Hand on heart, I put him in the Modern Opener Who Will Fail In A Knockout Match If It Moves category as well but sometimes I'm wrong and I think we should have been giving him more of a look.

I think it's more symptomatic of the general contempt our management have for domestic cricket and that domestic cricket results in their view count as justification for picking players they already like but not for players they don't like. We've seen this pretty consistently since Stead and Larsen became a thing, because iirc all of Worker's games came under McHesson and/or Edgar.