• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bairstow should use this as a template for his future test batting he is not going to make test match runs by batting at tests SR .He should play Gilchrist role target a Sr of 80-85 it may help him to average 40 odd for rest of his test career
He just needs to convince every other test team to avoid his stumps at all costs.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Well that's just bloody unbelievable/unforgettable. Well played England! One of the all-time great test wins.

I look forward to the posting tomorrow morning. Been a while since the last great whine on this forum.

Last edited:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Still very shell shocked. I thought we won't have enough overs to bowl at England. They still had 20 overs to spare.

cnerd123

likes this
Great win but a few riders

> KJ injured so NZ down to three tired quicks and a part time spinner

> Road of a pitch

> Weird NZ selections - probably should have persisted with Ajaz. Made the mistake of not picking Henry in the 1st Test and overcorrected when Ajaz could have done a job here

> NZ generally uninspired in the field, Latham's captaincy was ordinary

> Once in a lifetime sort of innings from Bairstow

> England playing at home - they're always decent here.

But good news for England that Lees, Pope and YJB all got crucial runs. Batters scoring runs makes a big difference. Feels a bit like the cracks are being papered over, but if the runs keep flowing then it's a more sustainable fix.

NZ just suck now lol.

greg

International Debutant
He just needs to convince every other test team to avoid his stumps at all costs.
There was a lot of bounce in this pitch. He did very well in Australia last winter (obviously noted for bouncy pitches). Targeting the stumps is easier said than done on some pitches.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Well hey, this is nothing new. When you don't blood your spinners enough, don't incorporate a guy who can bowl genuine heat, you become a bit toothless in situations like this. I remember when stokes and buttler were batting on 210/4 in the odi final, it was lockie who broke through and brought us back into the game. Question is, will NZC learn this time in re: the test attack?

The test bowling attack in general has been pretty toothless in situations like this for a while. Its the same 130km + the occasional spinner who doesn't spin it attack. Now with boult + southee aging, wagner pretty much done, ajaz getting the occasional game, jamieson's honeymoon phase ending....I'm afraid its time for a deep look. This is an end of an era type situation for our bowling attack. They've won us a world cup. Maybe that was the right time for their peak. Could be time for the likes of a ben sears + ajaz getting regular games.

I know our batting is also at fault this series, but I'm strictly talking about the makeup of our bowling attack in scenarios where the ball does nothing + pitch flattening up. Not surprised one bit that they couldn't pull the game back once a couple batters started putting pressure on them.