• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
5 wickets averaging 16.4 on a pitch with the most boundaries ever surely is better than middling?
three of those wickets were gifted by NZ, he bowled average by his standards but got a good return. Not that I'm questioning his place in the side!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The power of the Baz, aye...

I've always been an unabashed Brendon fan, and my old mate TH should probably look away from this post, lest he throw up on himself. But this is classic Baz in action. He's one of the best man managers I've seen in sport. He knows how cricketers tick. In the space of 3-4 weeks, he's taken a team from near its lowest ebb to, I would imagine, reinvigorating Test cricket in the eyes of that team and the public. Nothing to do with techniques, or not really with team selection, but just by getting inside these guys' heads and backing them. I'd argue there's probably no coach in the world right now with the ability to get this side to do what it's done so far in this series.

Having said that, there's no point (although the media will) hyping this England side up like it is now capable of being the world's best. That's eons away. As great as he is, Baz never captained a side that went close to beating Australia in Tests. He never won a Test on the sub-continent as a captain. I think by my count, he captained us to 3 Test wins out of 17 abroad. What he did do, was make us bulletproof at home (only lost 2 of 14 Tests at home, both to Australia). I think England will happily take that right now, but it's a completely different thing to think they can go to India, or Australia, or even to Sri Lanka/Pakistan and win as well.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always been an unabashed Brendon fan, and my old mate TH should probably look away from this post, lest he throw up on himself. But this is classic Baz in action. He's one of the best man managers I've seen in sport. He knows how cricketers tick. In the space of 3-4 weeks, he's taken a team from near its lowest ebb to, I would imagine, reinvigorating Test cricket in the eyes of that team and the public. Nothing to do with techniques, or not really with team selection, but just by getting inside these guys' heads and backing them. I'd argue there's probably no coach in the world right now with the ability to get this side to do what it's done so far in this series.
Decent insight...

I just realize that I am Baz for the way that I handle GG CC

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Having said that, there's no point (although the media will) hyping this England side up like it is now capable of being the world's best. That's eons away. As great as he is, Baz never captained a side that went close to beating Australia in Tests. He never won a Test on the sub-continent as a captain. I think by my count, he captained us to 3 Test wins out of 17 abroad. What he did do, was make us bulletproof at home (only lost 2 of 14 Tests at home, both to Australia). I think England will happily take that right now, but it's a completely different thing to think they can go to India, or Australia, or even to Sri Lanka/Pakistan and win as well.
I mean we won in Sri Lanka twice under Root…take the rest of the point though

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Woke up to watch the football (we're losing) and off course checked the cricket score. Wow! Sounds like amazing hitting from Bairstow (and Stokes). Why didn't Mitchell get a bowl when everyone was smashed?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway congrats England. That's an amazing performance. A terrible looking batting lineup (sans Root) has absolutely destroyed us 3 innings in a row.