• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

jcas0167

International Debutant
Ah the noughties, where we (ok John Bracewell) jerked around a succession of batsmen by making them open, none of whom went on to have long careers for NZ.
Vincent, Sinclair, Fulton, the Marshalls (briefly), have I forgotten any?

Yes, most listed would have struggled long term to make the grade anyway, but being opener or nothing can't have helped.

Young is a better batsman than those above I think, though debateable against the two that went on to rack up enormous domestic runs and may have contributed more to NZ if they'd been allowed a good run at preferred spots of 4/5/6 - Sinclair and Fulton.
Redmond?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah the noughties, where we (ok John Bracewell) jerked around a succession of batsmen by making them open, none of whom went on to have long careers for NZ.
Vincent, Sinclair, Fulton, the Marshalls (briefly), have I forgotten any?

Yes, most listed would have struggled long term to make the grade anyway, but being opener or nothing can't have helped.

Young is a better batsman than those above I think, though debateable against the two that went on to rack up enormous domestic runs and may have contributed more to NZ if they'd been allowed a good run at preferred spots of 4/5/6 - Sinclair and Fulton.
Absolutely, then add Guptill, Daniel Flynn, Rob Nicol if we're stretching etc. Even tried it with Stephen Fleming for a while.

And let us never forget that John Bracewell decided to bat Kyle Mills at 3 one day. Chasing 250 for victory. Against SA. In SA. That was the best.

Flem274*

123/5
Redmond, Flynn and Nicol volunteered at domestic level tbf. They were proactive fringe players who saw a job opening and had a crack.

Central and NZC have had very different views of how to best use Will Young, who only opened for us a bit last season and had to go to County for practice. It's not like Hay's opening partners have been dominant either, it was definitely a "he's by far our best #3 available".

Shady Slim

International Coach
First innings batting average of 22.03 over the past five years.
the openers who've been dismissed for **** all on the first morning of this illustrious period
keaton jennings
alistair cook
kraigg brathwaite
kieron powell
mark stoneman
m vijay in his late career
kl rahul
rory burns
jason roy
rory burns again
jason roy again
tom latham
will young

i put to you that aside from cook latham and kraigg b (who at the time was in a huge slump) all of these players are a bit ****

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Redmond, Flynn and Nicol volunteered at domestic level tbf. They were proactive fringe players who saw a job opening and had a crack.

Central and NZC have had very different views of how to best use Will Young, who only opened for us a bit last season and had to go to County for practice. It's not like Hay's opening partners have been dominant either, it was definitely a "he's by far our best #3 available".
Yeah I'd put middle order batsmen who consciously tried to adapt themselves into openers at a domestic level to make the NZ side in a slightly different category.

I'm pleased Young moved from 4 up to 3 for CD to test himself more against the new ball, but an NZ opener (or 3) he is not. Is he one of the best 4/5 batsmen in the country? Questionable when Conway, Nicholls and sometimes Mitchell occupy those spots, so comes back to difficult question of whether it's worth shifting Conway to open or not to make room for Young in the middle order.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I'd put middle order batsmen who consciously tried to adapt themselves into openers at a domestic level to make the NZ side in a slightly different category.

I'm pleased Young moved from 4 up to 3 for CD to test himself more against the new ball, but an NZ opener (or 3) he is not. Is he one of the best 4/5 batsmen in the country? Questionable when Conway, Nicholls and sometimes Mitchell occupy those spots, so comes back to difficult question of whether it's worth shifting Conway to open or not to make room for Young in the middle order.
In terms of ability I'd rank the selected

Williamson
Conway
CdG
Latham
Young
Nicholls
Mitchell
Bracewell

Results vary ofc. Latham routinely underachieves in SENA conditions. CdG is CdG.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The trouble was that we had a lot of good options for the middle order around that time (assuming McCullum at 7 and Vettori at 8); Fleming (also opened a bit, but did best at 3), Astle, McMillan, Styris, Oram, and late career Cairns. Then as those guys retired, young Ross and Jesse emerged.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
the openers who've been dismissed for **** all on the first morning of this illustrious period
keaton jennings
alistair cook
kraigg brathwaite
kieron powell
mark stoneman
kl rahul
rory burns
jason roy
rory burns again
jason roy again
tom latham
will young

i put to you that aside from cook latham and kraigg b (who at the time was in a huge slump) all of these players are a bit ****
KL Rahul is class. Didn't he get a century at Lords last year?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
keaton jennings
alistair cook
kraigg brathwaite
kieron powell
mark stoneman
kl rahul
rory burns
jason roy
rory burns again
jason roy again
tom latham
will young

It's OK to say you might not have got it completely right. I tell my mrs this every day.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
keaton jennings
alistair cook
kraigg brathwaite
kieron powell
mark stoneman
kl rahul
rory burns
jason roy
rory burns again
jason roy again
tom latham
will young

A) that's team average
B) why doesn't this apply at the other grounds then?

PlayersSpanMatInnsNORunsHSAveDescending
Old Trafford, Manchester2017-20205547191921140.82
Edgbaston, Birmingham2017-20214424132224334.78
The Rose Bowl, Southampton2018-20215535139226729.00
Kennington Oval, London2017-20214444109311227.32
Trent Bridge, Nottingham2017-202133338039726.76
Lord's, London2017-20229999198320022.03
Headingley, Leeds2017-2021444464410016.10