• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** 2018 Commonwealth Games

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can I just say how much of a disgusting globalist plight this is on my state?

Spark

Global Moderator
Someone's gotta get me a link of the Channel 7 presenters taking a dump all over the closing ceremony afterwards

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok so here's my take on the games as a resident of the Goldie

Some pretty good sport & people seemed to enjoy themselves and that's the main thing

Provided some much needed upgrades to sporting and transport infrastructure at what seems to be a reasonable cost

Seriously doubt whether the tourist numbers will be anything flash as the place is the quietest that I've ever seen it for school holiday period.

Have to imagine that the vast majority of attendees were either locals or day trippers from Brisbane and a truck load of people went away due to scare tactics employed by organisers

Opening & closing ceremonies were a complete embarrassment to the place and Australia as a whole

Can't say that I had a negative experience but a lot of operators will be annoyed that anticipated financial spin off didnt come to fruition

Oh and chances of me visiting Birmingham for 2022 edition are something less than zero after that ridiculous prom which was aired last night. A serious WTF on that one

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol how funny is it that Birmingham has the Games? In a country not known for it's blazing sunshine and airiness, Brum is about as grim as it gets. The Chennai of England.

I hope the mascot is

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Considering various Canadian cities have been hosts, I do not believe ''blazing sun'' is necessarily a prerequisite for the Commonwealth Games somehow!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but Canadian cities have the advantage of clear skies, glorious scenery and the great outdoors nearby.

Birmingham has the Bullring.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Does anyone actually care about opening and closing ceremonies? I'm just curious because in my small area of the world, people neither watch nor care. Big bore fests compiled by artists from kindergarten. And what is the point of watching athletes march in? I'll see them when they are competing. But I'm cynical. Anyone else out there enjoy this?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not really, especially for something like the Commonwealth Games, or single sport tournaments. The Olympics I'm interested in sitting down for (the Opening one at least).

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, and Port Steohens is near Maitland. Doesn’t make the latter anything but a dump.
I think you are suffering from having seen too many Ian Bell cover drives against your guys. Skewering your judgement on Brummieland.