• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Erm... I had hoped I was joking about the "Yorkshire bonus". Obviously not. Little Graveney...

I'm going to Top this thread so we keep all England-India Test Discussion here and not in X other threads.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
ok..i am f***in sick of my team now.

It alwys goes like this. One bowler bowls well while the others suck.

Every batsmen fails while one makes a classyy knock.(usually sachin)

why cant we PLAY AS A TEAM.

Agarkar: this guy has the goods but he has been given too many chances. Cant belive he bowled that badly. and nehra failed control his swing. (why am i not surprised)

I hate when a batsmen of hussains quality makes the runs.Damn why cant it be vaughan or thorpe..

ALso i have noticed that in every series there is one low quality batsman or flat track bully or a occasional quality player goes on to break records against india..

jimmy adams, gary kirsten,andy flower,jayasuriya,hooper,chanderpaul, nasty hussain,hayden,chris lewis,afridi.....all these players just seem to establish themselves or make records only against india...
gawd i am tired of this.Hope fully india wont screw up tommorow too...

hopefully

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that England have definitely shaded the first day. So long as there is no collapse of 'Englandesque proportions', a score in the order of 400 looks on the cards.

Then we will see how good the wicket actually is for batting. It looks to be sort-of 'half a peach' - there certainly seems to be something in it for all bowlers prepared to bend their back (or their fingers), yet it conversely doesn't look that difficult to bat on.

Three of the wickets to fall were a bit 'lame' from a batting perspective.

Weather forecast for the remainder of the game is dry, warm tending to 'The Sun' headline (phew, wot a scorcha).

Sachin to score a double hundred, my guess, and for the game to be drawn .

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well, India has done it again. Zaheer bowled well today, so he will probably give it away tomorrow while Nehra bowls better. It is really strange why they can't bowl well in tandem. Also, India, I think made a mistake by picking Kumble over Harb or both could have been taken and Agarkar dropped. Unfortunately, he will probably pick up some tail end wickets and be in the reckoning for the 2nd test too.

Overall, very disappointing first day if you are an Indian supporter. Hope, this doesn't set the tone for the rest of the series.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Well, India has done it again. Zaheer bowled well today, so he will probably give it away tomorrow while Nehra bowls better. It is really strange why they can't bowl well in tandem. Also, India, I think made a mistake by picking Kumble over Harb or both could have been taken and Agarkar dropped. Unfortunately, he will probably pick up some tail end wickets and be in the reckoning for the 2nd test too.

Overall, very disappointing first day if you are an Indian supporter. Hope, this doesn't set the tone for the rest of the series.

man!!! thts just whats gonna happen...i can murder some one now.

Agarkar is beyond pathetic...more than his bowling figures it is the utter lack of brain cells that makes me sick. For f**k sakes he has been playing for 5 yrs now and if he cant bowl even moderately well in england ...well i should stop swearing now

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's a good start for us, but there's a long way to go yet. With the weather forecast, and lack of depth of top-class spin, I can't see a result, barring a collapse. Though both teams are good at those...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Bad day for India , they should have capitalised more , i reckon even Tinu Yohannan would have done much better bowling, heck what the Indians needed was Harbajan Singh they make some wrong decisions at the wrong times .... Khan and Nehra and Kumble are doing well , but 3 bowlers in a test match ... isint helpful that much

depends england look forward to a total of 350 here or more easily i guess
lets see what day 2 brings us...

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
Man what a mistake it was to include Ajit Agarkar. He is not bowling at full pace and is now injured. All credit to him as a ODI bowler but his test record previously is not good. We saw how much of an impact Harbhajan Singh made on a variety of pitches in the Natwest Series. He decieved Sri Lankan and English batsman. He is a proven test match winner. His record overseas may not be great but he still a lot better than Agarkar. If Agarkar is to take wickets he needs to bowl like Zaheer Khan. He was brilliant, swing, pace and consistency. :)

Reg

Cricket Spectator
Hi ya dudes .. I'm new to this site.. never posted here before..
Seems like a clean, no nonsense bunch of guys here.. ( what..no ladies around) .

I caught a bit of the game after tea, yesterday. Seems like the Indians are a totally one side team and its all from batsman number three to six..thats four players. That rest of the team won't frighten many sides these days except for the youngster Khan..some nice swing and aggression with the second new ball.. read he opend the bowling the same way..???
I haven't included Sehwag as he should not be opening..the selectors are playing him out of position. India hasn't got opening batsman.. same as they lack a test captain.

Agakar is not a test bowler and shouldn't even be in the side.. what a pathetic replacement for Srinath.

England also has weakened bowling attack and maybe both sides will struggle to bowl each other out in the series. India will most definitely be the weaker bowling team.

Three nil to England and again India gets raped on away tours. CAN India drop lower in the test ladder after this tour?

Kudus to Nasser for a solid ton and Steward for most capped.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
finally the agony is over. we gave atleast 150 more runs. I think this pitch will give a result if england bowl sensibly.

As for the indian bowling "attack" the less said the better

Zaheer: good effort but should do better
Nehra :very disappointing.
Kumble : steady but harb would have been a better choice.

Agarkar : Allright thts it. THis f***ing a**h***e should be dumped in the english channel i cant beleive he still gets to play in the team. I will stop before i drag his whole family here..
Extremly irresponsible bowling.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
(it's ok LE Cork would have got a 100 right?;) )
Lifted from the 'Simon Jones' thread.

Touche. Little do you know, but....

I'm delighted that White got a fifty.

Equally, if he goes on to take a '7 for' and wins the match, then I will be the first to admit that he deserves to stay in the side, because he will have taken advantage his selection. If, however, he bowls poorly and fails to take wickets, I will be the first to call for his head - even if he scores another fifty in the second innings.

At the end of the day, you have to bowl sides out twice (normally) to win a game.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Buisness as usual. A opening bats man out in the first over...lol...we rule ..
man i wish they change the script..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag and Dravid are playing sensibly for now. Wonder how long it will last. Anyway, if we had to lose one wicket early(and that seems to be the norm these days) I am really glad it was Jaffer. As I foresaw, Agarkar managed two wickets. I hope the captain and the coach take into account the fact that he gave away nearly 5 runs an over for that and dump him next time around. India with its limited bowling attack needs atleast miserly bowlers and not spend thrift millionaires like Agarkar.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
England battling to save the game.....

I can think of no other explanation.

After just 6 overs, Ashley Giles comes on. His first 2 overs are bowled over the wicket, so that the ball is pitching over a foot outside leg stump.

No sign of Jones yet. I guess that they are waiting for the ball to go soft.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have just had a horrible thought....

The last time I can remember the media picking a real speed merchant for England (OK, 'suggesting' that a speedster should be brought in to the side) was in 1989.

My old hero Dev was the bowler concerned. He was raw but incredibly fast.

He made his debut in the 5th test against the Aussies at Trent Bridge - and took 1-166. Marsh and Taylor made 300 on the first day.

Maybe the wicket is a real plum after all, and England's 487 was a poor score. :undecided: