• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The standard of the Indian bowling is being reflected by how many runs John Crawley is scoring & so far he's been one of the best batsmen.

Im afraid that to be judged as a good team, you've got to win test matches and at the moment India can only win the shorter version which really is not in their best interests.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
looks like some of u guys are over reacting...

it is not like india were exactly the top test playing nation. They just performed normally..

You see our team has the following rules. This is a official excerpt from the BCCI rules of conduct.

Code of Conduct for the batting "dis"order:

1. One of the opening batsmen must commit suicide. We recommend you to fish outside the off stump as the official mode of suicide

2. If your name is Dravid you are supposed to make 20 runs every hundred balls. Under no circumstance should you cross the speedlimit.

3. If your name is ganguly any runs you make is a bonus.

4. At no time should any two batsmen play well during a innings. If you are worried about your average you can make up during a home series against zimbabwe.

Code of Conduct for and bowling "Attack" (oooh scary.. :P):

1. At all times only one bowler can "act" like you are bowling well.

2. If you are express quick (Above 50mph) you SHOULD bowl short and intimidate the batsmen.

3. As per our new policy bowlers should try to intimidate the batsmen. But please dont cross the limits of decency **(See Note)

4. You will be designated a swing bowler only if you can swing the ball to fineleg if it is aleft hand batsman or to wide third man if a right hand batsman is on strike.

5. If your are under any doubt immediately defer to rule no 1.

** Preferred modes of intimidation:

1. Pitch the ball short and rattle the knee caps of the batsmen. This is a unique strategy ..while the bats men expects the ball to come up to the throat we can surprise them with this strategy.

2. Bowl sudden, unpredictable and violent wides.

3. Give him one of woody allen style scary glares. ( well we are serious....what ? ..ok..thts a joke)

4. Surprise the batsmen by not spinning the ball.

5. If all fails bowl half volleys.

cheers

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oops.

Do I detect a modicum of cynicism?

Or reality?

I really hope that India can bounce back from what appears likely to be a bit of a drubbing (although on TMS today there were people ringing in saying that there was rain in the area, so who knows?)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
India should send Sachin as opener along with Sehwag, then Dravid one down, Laxman second down, Ganguly 3rd down, and then Kaif and whoever else they wanna keep.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Theoretically, Sachin as opener sounds great as he has the best technique in the team along with Dravid. Temperamentally, however, he has been alarmingly deficient especially in recent times. I thought Ganguly had turned a corner with the Windies series, notwithstanding the dubious decision in the 2nd innings, he seems to be back to square one. Dravid at best can keep one end up while Laxman(who has always been accused of being temperamentally suspect) is playing with a new-found maturity which is being largely wasted because he often ends up batting with the tail(which stubbornly refuses to wag, very unfriendly, these Indian tail enders). So, bringing in Kaif to shore up the lower order sounds sensible.

All these theories however, are being floated mainly because the batsmen in their designated positions, where they are supposedly most comfortable are just not doing their jobs. So, the odds really are against them performing better in new roles.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Sachin as opener because it would be a great challenge and I think he would rise to the occasion. This would be a bit of a wake up call for Sachin I think. And this England pace attack is though good, is by no means blinding, and there is no real need to protect Sachin. If he can set the tone early, it would change the complexion of the whole series.

Ian Chappell once said that the best batsmen should come in first, especially if the team is not clicking.

India over the years have gone with the approach of bottom heavy, as in middle order better than the top order, Laxman coming in at 6 is mind boggling. If bringing in Sachin to open is too radiczal then may as well try Laxman, atleast he would get a decent chance to bat, instead of him struggling with the tail.

I would sum this up as uninspired captaincy, Kaif who seems to be inform, and Laxman who has shown excellent form for a while are barely getting any chance to play. Ganguly seems to be waiting for things to change but he has to make it happen.

Ganguly is also a very good bat in his own right, but poor guy is obvioulsy not meant to be a captain, this is detrimental for both himslef and the team. This is obvioulsy affecting his batting too. Its unfortunate that if he can throw tantrums people think he is a good captain.

oyesachinoye

Cricket Spectator
INdia is gonna strike back, all of u guys are gonna eat ur words.India is still better than Poms, all they need to do is bring back Harb, send Laxman to open with Sehwag, send Kaif at no 6, and throw out Ratra and bring the other keeper in.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes all India need to do is get that bowler, drop that keeper, call up that batsman.

Until you get your head around the fact that you also need brains to play the game of cricket, you'll never get past this phase of building your team up and then continuously defending yourselves after the damage has been done.

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
anyone seen parthiv patel keep or bat?

hope he clicks or india is doomed to go down the drain.....................................

by the way, geoffrey boycott had a suggestion to the indian team ....play eleven batsmen................

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

[Edited on 7/29/02 by sir middle stump]

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately for young Ratra, his career could be over before it has even really begun. With the way the selectors go through keepers, I'd like to put a decent wager on Patel to start the next match.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no easy answer, but team spirit, leadership and a few bowlers would help.

India have not managed to apply pressure towards England at any time during the game.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
I dont think we need to really go for any kneejerk reactions.

I think we got a real decent and settled batting lineup. Jaffer should be given one more chance. Ganguly gets in the team purely coz he is the skipper.

The only change we should make is push laxman above ganguly.

As for the bowling plz drop agarkar and bring youhannan and get in harb too.

Hope this 30 something agarkar ( he is still going) made in the 2nd innings doesnt make him a allrounder to the media and team..hehe..

Oyesachin: If you would get ur head out of you know where and smell the coffee...hmmm...i dont think so.. :D

Oh i think dropping ratra would be cruel now. he must be given a extended run. The whole team failed including sachin and ganguly and the bowlers sucked big time. So lets hope for a improved show.
I still thinl we have the goods to beat this english team..

But whatever happens for f***sake dont let crap batsmen like hussain and crawley(duh!)make runs. If we have to give away runs give it to thorpe or vaughan atleast that wont be disgraceful..

Btw has any one noticed that every discard or outof form batsman gets runs against india..lol..we really are generous..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
At least the Indians are doing a better job of defending their wickets than Bangladesh currently are against Sri Lanka..

This should be an interesting tussle between Simon Jones & Laxman.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
91.8 mph is 147 k's so thats reasonably lively, but obviously not up with the other 4 quick's that have been mentioned before.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Infact Cricinfo has finally updated to show that Laxman after crashing a four plays a lazy shot off Jones to end India's hopes of saving this test.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Infact Cricinfo has finally updated to show that Laxman after crashing a four plays a lazy shot off Jones to end India's hopes of saving this test.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Despite the (inevitable) defeat, India should take some heart from this morning's play.

For a while, it looked as though Agarkar and Laxman were there for the day.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Pluses and Minuses for both teams from the first test:

India:

+ves:

1) Laxman has carried his form from the Windies series into this one.
2) "The Wall" is still quite solid.
3) Agarkar redeemed himself a little with a defiant century.
4) Sehwag started on his role as an opener on a positive note and distinguished himself.
5) Jaffer was not a total failure and should be persisted with.
6) The tail wagged after a long time in the 2nd innings.

-ves:

1) Sachin and Saurav absolutely disgraced themselves.
2) Laxman was largely wasted at no: 6.
3) All the bowlers sucked big-time with the possible exception of Zaheer on the first day.
4) Ratra had an average test as a keeper and a miserable one with the bat.

England:

+ves:

1) The batting overcame the loss of Trescothick and posted good scores with his replacement Crawley scoring a 50 and a 100.
2) The lower order batting was a revelation.
3) The second string bowling attack bowled to a plan and did exceptionally well.

-ves:

Not too many except maybe that Butcher and Thorpe did not fare well.

I might have missed some points over here, but I think I covered everything important.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The latest news on the Indian team.... 8D

AFP- July 29: A cut in the little finger has ruled out
Sourav, Sachin and Ajay Ratra for the remainder of the
n-power test series between India and England. It is
not known as yet, how they got injured. Team Physio,
Andrew Leipus said, 'It is a rare kind of injury,
known to affect low-scorers. There is no cure other
than rest, rest and more rest.'. At a press
conference, Indian Captain Sourav Ganguly said, 'We
will win the Test Series. May be, just one inch of
band-aid tape prevents me for performing for my
country'. Waving his hand at a non-existent group of
people he said, ' The team has good balance, and these
youngstars are performing fabulously'. Sachin was
packing his bags when contacted. 'I intend to catch up
on my advertising assignments. That will help me loose
a few kilos. Dont worry, I will be back for the world
cup'. Ajay Ratra intends to spend time with his
family. 'Too long I have been outside my State', he
said. 'I need to be there to motivate them to become
Indian Test team players'.

Indian Selectors are trying to contact Rahul Dravid to
assume the mantle of captaincy. "I refuse to lead this
sorry bunch of losers", unconfirmed reports quoted him
as mutterring under his breath, when alone, locked up
inside his hotel bathroom. However, after a nod from
Wright, Ganguly, Chandu Borde and others, he said 'It
would be a great honour and responsibility'.

John Wright was not available for comment. He was last
seen sitting in Padmasana, and rotating a string of
beads, and mutterring 'OM' in a deep voice everytime
Indian batsmen poked at deliveries outside the
off-stump. Sources say, that he has become an unusual
fatalist and strong believer in destiny since the
Natwest Final at Lords.

:D :D :D