• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the SWALEC Stadium

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dfrinku 187
Furball 220
Gnske 260
Adders 272
91Jmay 277
morgieb 319
harsh.ag 339
Social 414
Riggins 415

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I know i have just said its an important innings for Voges, but I think it is the absolute last chance for Watto. Before this Test started I was definitely expecting we'd go with the bowling lineup we did and Rogers was going to come back, but the one I got wrong was that I thought Boof would go down the aggressive route and play Mitch Marsh over Watson. Watto's 13 overs 0/47 is really not that important and I think that those overs across 2 innings is not a big workload at all.

So.. I'm wondering should we just play Shaun Marsh at 6 for the extra batting or go for Mitch Marsh? I'm actually thinking Shaun more so now as I don't think it is that difficult to split Watson's overs. Just had a look and he has averaged 14.3 overs per Test over the past 10. They are handy overs, but I feel as though Lyon can take some of them and there is nothing wrong with Smith, Clarke, Voges or Warner bowling one or two (Voges/Clarke are more likely to keep it tight, the other two to jag a wicket). It is a shame that none of them bowl a bit of seam up, even if it was at a Quiney-like level.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I know i have just said its an important innings for Voges, but I think it is the absolute last chance for Watto. Before this Test started I was definitely expecting we'd go with the bowling lineup we did and Rogers was going to come back, but the one I got wrong was that I thought Boof would go down the aggressive route and play Mitch Marsh over Watson. Watto's 13 overs 0/47 is really not that important and I think that those overs across 2 innings is not a big workload at all.

So.. I'm wondering should we just play Shaun Marsh at 6 for the extra batting or go for Mitch Marsh? I'm actually thinking Shaun more so now as I don't think it is that difficult to split Watson's overs. Just had a look and he has averaged 14.3 overs per Test over the past 10. They are handy overs, but I feel as though Lyon can take some of them and there is nothing wrong with Smith, Clarke, Voges or Warner bowling one or two (Voges/Clarke are more likely to keep it tight, the other two to jag a wicket). It is a shame that none of them bowl a bit of seam up, even if it was at a Quiney-like level.
Reckon Warner bowls right arm mediums now.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain

I can see both Marshes happening if we lose. Which along with Siddle, if Starc is gimped, is a worse team IMO. I don't want Clarke bowling at all. Back won't take it.

NUFAN, I think that you're absolutely correct. I have this debate with everyone on cricket web, including possibly yourself on occasion. 6 best batsmen is definitely better than an inferior batsmen who bowls a few cheap overs with less chance of a wicket than the spinner and the main bowlers could bowl. England is somewhat different in that because there is no top drawer spinner, they play the best available spinner being a batting alrounder at 8, which means another batting allrounder can play 6 in Stokes with better balance than Australia doing something similar. For Australia to carry Watto in the top 6 like England do Stokes, they need M Marsh at 8 to be like Moeen Ali and drop one of Johnson, Lyon, Starc and Hazelwood. Not going to happen anytime soon.

For any English fans who take umbrage at anything I said, England with KP at 6 and say a pre-retirement Graeme Swann at 8 would look a better team would it not. But I write this before Moeen has the chance to destroy Australia in the fourth innings with 400 runs to play with and set up the return of the Ashes in 2015. Today may be the day Ali becomes a spinner of note and his batting a sweet sweet bonus.

Last edited:

Stace

First Class Debutant
Just a crazy thought at 5.10am, but what about opening with Watson and Rodgers (Watson has opened enough times to be capable)? Watson can go seriously hard at Anderson and Broad for quick runs and to try and put them off there line and lengths, the same as Warner would do but would protect the key 3 (Warner, Smith and Clarke). Even if it didn't come off its not much to lose and gives the management another reason to drop him (Which would please everyone).

You want someone to attack in the top order, so you'd hold back the best attacking opener in the world?
Ha. He wants Watson given a license to attack to save his career. He reckons the only place it can happen is if he opens. Take the lbw out of the equation but getting further down and driving the hell out of the ball and making the bowers bowl shorter at him. He would look daft doing it at 3 if he failed. He also wants to protect Smith and Clarke from the newer ball. I don't think Warner wants to give up the openers spot but if it was best for the team, a lot of Aussies like and think it a privilege to bat 3 don't they?

I am very very interested to see how Smith's leg stump, leg side catching practice goes this winter, or whether he exercises better control.

Last edited: