• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 05 - 09 Feb 2021

Teja.

Global Moderator
They should just bat at a normal tempo and try to score 80-100 runs in the first session without losing a wicket.

If we lose two wickets in the first session, they should shut up shop.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think its easy to score 380 on this track and I feel England batted a while longer than needed (at least 10 overs or so), so the best we can hope for is a draw. But then again, with this side, you can never rule out them surprising us and coming up with a great win. :wub:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hadlee and Imran are the "good to great" stories there. Anderson is the "average to very good" story. Still unsure where Ishant ends up but as of now it reads "poor to good".

What amazes me is that Morne Morkel has the same improvement in his second half of his career as Jimmy A. Maybe he is the real underrated one around here.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Imran is the surprising one in that list. Didn't he become a trundler towards the end of his career and played mainly as a batting all-rounder in his last few tests? Or was that ODI-only phenomenon (I recall '92 WC)?

Woodster

International Captain
Big task for India, but love Ishant’s attitude in his interview which I presume is indicative of the side as a whole, they’re going for these runs and they believe they can knock this off.

That ambition could well be tempered if they don’t get off to the start he feels is imperative for them to mount a successful chase. Early wickets puts them under real pressure, but can only imagine Pant batting one way so maybe if/when we get rid of him they may have to look to save the game if they’re still some way behind. Until then it could be game on, though would be an incredible chase.

As for England’s declaration, I didn’t see the last hour or so of our innings where it seems we lost some impetus and stumbled our way to being bowled out. For me it’s scoring quicker at stages in the first innings which should be in sharper focus when the pitch was a bit of a road, rather than trying to slog a few on a pitch taking more and more turn and bounce. Think all thoughts were then on avoiding defeat rather than confidently setting up a score to go on and win the Test.

are underdogs in this series and that first innings still surpassed most England fans expectations, but we have been well on top for four days but still might not manage to force the win. An opportunity we can’t afford to let slip.

Woodster

International Captain
coz Wood was playing for his country. He will give his all every time.
& Archer is playing for his adopted country. He will not give his all every time.

Only true patriot would bowl at 90mph in Chennai heat.
I don’t believe that’s true. I think Archer believes there’s more to his bowling than needing to rely on pure pace, he may have a point, but I do tend to agree with Mackembhoy and I’ve voiced this sake concern in previous Test series. Perhaps with his lack of action recently we can allow him this Test to find his rhythm and fitness again, although expect a big effort on the pace front from him tomorrow.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran is the surprising one in that list. Didn't he become a trundler towards the end of his career and played mainly as a batting all-rounder in his last few tests? Or was that ODI-only phenomenon (I recall '92 WC)?
That was like his last 2 years. Where he rarely bowled. It's worth remembering him and Hadlee were both pretty meh at the start of their careers....they only became legendary around the late 70's or so.