• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 1st Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 05 - 09 Feb 2021

Niall

International Coach
They're deadset picking Axar if he's recovered. Just a hunch but I think Kuldeep has cheesed off someone in that dressing room with his lack of intent/application/fitness. Get the vibe Kohli doesn't *want* him in the side anymore.

India could have a team with a number 9 who the actual batsman can trust against frontline bowlers.

Not had that since the demise of Bhuvi.

Kuldeep had a horrific IPL so yeah something has gone wrong their it seems sadly.

Chrish

International Debutant
If you wanna chase the big score on day 5, playing in Australia is your best bet where pitch can still remain relatively intact.

It will be near impossible to do it on a dust-bowl where wicket turns into powder.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Good time for the laundromats. Staying out there for thirty minutes makes you look like you're earning your keep.

Speaking of which, didn't England used to have the starched white kits for Tests? They seem to have switched to more of an Australian beige now. Or is it just for the SC tours to blend in with the grime?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well he played the two in Sri Lanka so guess they are seeing it as him playing the first three matches rather than just one, it is not like they went home between the two series. I think they have managed it really well so far, also kind of funny how loads of people wanted Foakes to play anyway and are now complaining that he is going to get a chance.
Yeah but I wasn't aware Joss was charging in off the long run for 18 overs a day in back-to-back tests in searing heat. FMD he's a keeper-batsman. Surely he'd jack up at this. We've come a long way from the days when keepers would play with fractured fingers because they didn't want to give a sucker an even break in taking the spot.

It's understandable you would take the opportunity to rest players from lesser series like these because you want your best XI available for the series which matters out here next Summer, but I can't help think this "resting" thing with Buttler is, as Cribb alluded to earlier, really cover for the fact he's been dropped. Dropped.

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

Dropped

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I know I've been tremendously negative toward India for the whole Australia series. However, I believe they can chase this. I don't know why. I know it is far too fast for a Test team to score. But I believe!
No way India can chase this down. If it was still a road then maybe but as of now, its more or less impossible.

Betting markets somewhat agree.

Draw 1.66
England 2.60
India 11.00

Betting on England would be value for money!

It should be more like

Draw 1.90
England 1.90

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i see no evidence of this at all tbh. he's not the first young player to have some intensity and attitude issues; kp meanwhile had issues in every single team he ever played in.
It is hard to explain what is basically a gut feel or an instinct but with KP, he always wanted to win. The problems happened when the wins did not happen. But with Archer, I feel sometimes the result does not matter to him. But I am obviously just speculating based on what the cameras show us when they are playing a game, so I am not insisting on this. Just wanted to post what I felt, that is all. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Is India expected to go with 3 spinners again? I'm not sure if they will. Though lack of Sundar in the 2nd innings indicates they don't have faith in his bowling as a second spinner so don't know...
The second test is also here and its obvious the seamers have nothing with this ball once the seam starts bursting out. It is supposed to help fast bowlers in theory with a more prominent seam but this is a new variety of the SG ball they are trialling and it does not seem up to the task, frankly. Fully expect Kuldeep to come in for Nadeem and that being the only change, irrespective of what happens today.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Never seen the shine wear off a cricket ball as fast as it has in this Test, saliva ban notwithstanding. Not lasting five overs, no exaggeration.

Daemon

The second test is also here and its obvious the seamers have nothing with this ball once the seam starts bursting out. It is supposed to help fast bowlers in theory with a more prominent seam but this is a new variety of the SG ball they are trialling and it does not seem up to the task, frankly. Fully expect Kuldeep to come in for Nadeem and that being the only change, irrespective of what happens today.
If Umesh/Shami were fit it'd be pretty tempting to go with one of them as the third seamer. Shami only fit for the 3rd Test though so Kuldeep for Nadeem it is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If Umesh/Shami were fit it'd be pretty tempting to go with one of them as the third seamer. Shami only fit for the 3rd Test though so Kuldeep for Nadeem it is.
Nah, I would rather play one of them ahead of Ishant/Bumrah, tbh. But definitely for the d/n test I think Shami will be very useful, if he is fully fit. Even otherwise, I wont mind Shardul coming in.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Like this field umpire Anil <surname>. Has a no-nonsense demeanor and doesn't choreograph his signals either like a lot of attention-whore umps on the circuit.

OverratedSanity

Leach bowling really well now and the turn and bounce has looked pretty alarming. Will be tough to save this one from here considering all the remaining batsmen are intent truthers.