• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at Brisbane

Spark

Global Moderator
It's hard to know what to make of Kohli tbh. It'd be harsh to call him a flat track bully but he'd want to score some runs against some decent attacks in challenging conditions soon to shake any suspicion.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Everyone seems to have forgotten about Kane Williamson, myself included, and you can't really blame them because I can't even remember the last time he played. If it was recent then it must have been against some other minnow team or something
New Zealand haven't played any Tests since like March or something ridiculous.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cummins maybe but Starc would be absolutely horrible to face under lights with the pink ball if it's swinging.
Yeah Starc was on fire against the Kiwis before breaking his ankle. If Starc actually remembers how to bowl and is less concerned with intent (ala the series he played against New Zealand and Sri Lanka) he'll be a nasty mother****er under lights.

morgieb

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Kane Williamson, myself included, and you can't really blame them because I can't even remember the last time he played. If it was recent then it must have been against some other minnow team or something
Yeah sadly David White and co look intent on ****ing over Kane. Just a bit too difficult to work out how good he really is given the lack of Tests New Zealand play.

Burgey

Root has been dismissed lbw a lot in his last half dozen or so tests - I think maybe 10 out of 15-18 dismissals or so. He occaionally falls over to a full one angling in and it’s been picked up.

TheJediBrah

Cummins maybe but Starc would be absolutely horrible to face under lights with the pink ball if it's swinging.
That's true, I was thinking more so of the general pitch conditions we're likely to get, ie. grass and seam-y. The kind of conditions that favour accurate nagging bowling where you just land it consistently and wait for the pitch to do something to get you an edge or lbw or something. Not so much the big left-armer that bowls all over the shop.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's true, I was thinking more so of the general pitch conditions we're likely to get, ie. grass and seam-y. The kind of conditions that favour accurate nagging bowling where you just land it consistently and wait for the pitch to do something to get you an edge or lbw or something. Not so much the big left-armer that bowls all over the shop.
The big left armer that bowls all over the shop would be the worst kind of bowler to face under lights IMO, because the defining thing about night cricket is that it's hard to see the ball. Peak Johnson probably would have taken ten wickets for about twelve, all off the shoulder of the bat over short leg and the slips.

OverratedSanity

It's hard to know what to make of Kohli tbh. It'd be harsh to call him a flat track bully but he'd want to score some runs against some decent attacks in challenging conditions soon to shake any suspicion.
His issue isn't that imo. He needs to prove himself when it moves in the air, yes, but he's inferior because he simply doesn't have the consistency of Smith. He's had some bad series out of the blue where he bats like a tailender. He's rectified some of the other issues he had (his conversion rate has gone through the roof and he makes his tons massive almost without fail now)... but he doesn't have that same aura Smith has because you probably feel he'll inexplicably have a few bad scores in a row.

vcs

There is evidence of this. He spanked Steyn-Philander-Morkel to all parts on a day 1 Jo'burg wicket in 2013. Was similar to Clarke's knock in Cape Town in the 47 a.o. match.

Spark

Global Moderator
Root has been dismissed lbw a lot in his last half dozen or so tests - I think maybe 10 out of 15-18 dismissals or so. He occaionally falls over to a full one angling in and it’s been picked up.
He almost got pinned a few times by just getting the bat down and squirting it through square leg before Haze did him eventually, so he had fair warning.

Spark

Global Moderator
There is evidence of this. He spanked Steyn-Philander-Morkel to all parts on a day 1 Jo'burg wicket in 2013. Was similar to Clarke's knock in Cape Town in the 47 a.o. match.
Oh yeah I'm definitely not saying he can't do it, but he'll be perceived that way given the contrast in his last two series against Australia, and his last two series against England.

His issue isn't that imo. He needs to prove himself when it moves in the air, yes, but he's inferior because he simply doesn't have the consistency of Smith. He's had some bad series out of the blue where he bats like a tailender. He's rectified some of the other issues he had (his conversion rate has gone through the roof and he makes his tons massive almost without fail now)... but he doesn't have that same aura Smith has because you probably feel he'll inexplicably have a few bad scores in a row.
Yeah this is what I mean, but people will read into when it happens.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, this was pretty noticeable when he toured India last year too

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, this was pretty noticeable when he toured India last year too
He used to have the problem that he wouldn't get across enough, and therefore would get bowled because he didn't cover his stumps or caught pushing away from his body. I wonder if he's overcorrected.

TheJediBrah

For me it's more that he virtually hasn't played outside Asia in what feels like forever. What was there like one series in West Indies against a **** side and that was on slow & low wickets anyway.

I rate him ahead of Root and KW but he needs an opportunity to show it

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was at the ground today so a few randoms

CA/Gabba couldnt organize a piss up at a brewery - gates were supposed to open at 8.30 but didnt open until 9.15 and there was literally nothing to do outside the ground unlike last year

Moeen is a super sweet hitter of a cricket ball

Cummins is an incredibly gifted athlete but he looked sore today and I doubt that he plays all 5 tests

Root doesnt like facing Cummins

Bancroft is technically well in front of Renshaw and other competition for the opening slot

Big one for me - during the lunch break, Overton was bowling off his long run to Malan in the nets and The Chadd (I think!) was bowling to someone in another. Obviously really good cricketers but I seriously doubt that any are international class atm

morgieb

For me it's more that he virtually hasn't played outside Asia in what feels like forever. What was there like one series in West Indies against a **** side and that was on slow & low wickets anyway.

I rate him ahead of Root and KW but he needs an opportunity to show it
Ehh he had three very good series away from home the last time he toured. He's probably a better batsman since then too. Reckon he'll be fine.