• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at Brisbane

burr

State Vice-Captain
Well played Bancroft. Good to see form matter and rewarded and then a player making the most of that form. Now for Maxwell.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is Jason Ball usually this trash? Of all the random seamers England have tried out over the last few years, only Jade Dernbach has immediately stuck out as being less impressive.

EDIT: I guess he is coming back from an injury though.
Jake

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
With openers it's not that simple, but you're right he's a baby. Warner is likely taking up one spot for the next five years and if Bancroft successfully establishes himself well then that's that

That's why I thought it was a little cheeky the selectors saying Renshaw should just go and make some runs to force his way back. Maxwell is in a better spot as he can bat 3-6
Even if Bancroft eventually takes the gloves, you got Weatherald and Hughes coming through.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Geez, this has been a slaughter since Starc was dismissed yesterday. The ease with which Bancroft & Warner have batted shows how poor England batted. Sure, Australia bowled well but this is an excellent batting pitch and to fold so easily suggests gloomy times ahead for the tourists.

iirc on the podcast I predicted Oz would win 3-2 but 5-0 looks on the cards now. Australia’s pace bowling was patchy but they were still initimidating Eng with short stuff regularly and that could only get worse from here.
Aus winning at least 4 was always the likeliest outcome. England winning 2 was never going to happen. And that was even before Stokes' stupidity knackered the whole balance of the side.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With openers it's not that simple, but you're right he's a baby. Warner is likely taking up one spot for the next five years and if Bancroft successfully establishes himself well then that's that

That's why I thought it was a little cheeky the selectors saying Renshaw should just go and make some runs to force his way back. Maxwell is in a better spot as he can bat 3-6
Bancroft also has the advantage of being Western Australian which seems to endow cricketers with some untouchable quality according to our selectors, let alone when Langer's involved.

This doesn't apply to Behrendorff but he's from Camden.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
This is turning into a replica of Ashes 90/91 Test at the Gabba where it was tight on the 1st innings and despite being behind on the 1st innings, Australia managed to win by 10 wickets!

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This is so 2013/14.
**** no. We're not heading to Adelaide ****ting our pants.

This 4th innings is a big kick in the teeth for England. The test was lost before that but if our bowlers had have nipped out 6 or 7 wickets on the way we could certainly have taken a bit out of this test........as it is this is pretty convincing, but still not like 13/14.

I dunno what to expect of the Adelaide day/nighter..........it's possible it could work well for England.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weve won 4 out of 5 ashes... but when we r bad we sink to the depths.
Weve won 10 out 15 ashes... and when we win we win big

This 4th innings is a big kick in the teeth for England. The test was lost before that but if our bowlers had have nipped out 6 or 7 wickets on the way we could certainly have taken a bit out of this test........as it is this is pretty convincing, but still not like 13/14.

I dunno what to expect of the Adelaide day/nighter..........it's possible it could work well for England.
Anything can happen at the Adelaide day/nighter. The last few years have shown that. A few good spells from the quicks, even just having the luck of innings timing being right to get the new ball under lights can be decisive. Also Broad & Anderson have the perfect set of skills for conditions to suit them perfectly, whereas Starc & Cummins in particular do not (assuming a similar wicket is prepared to the last couple of years)

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator

Oh I just meant in terms of the late order collapse ---> 3rd/4th innings crushing.

OverratedSanity

That's kind of what happened in 2013/14 too. They put Australia under pressure by rolling over the top order cheaply, but Haddin and the lower order screwed them over every time.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If Root is in the conversation as the second best bat in the world, this test has confirmed that the gulf between Smith and the rest is ****ing massive.

The England camp are wondering how the **** are you supposed to get this **** out, while the Aussies got our main man out in the same fashion twice.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's kind of what happened in 2013/14 too. They put Australia under pressure by rolling over the top order cheaply, but Haddin and the lower order screwed them over every time.
Yeah, this England innings was very typical of 13/14 save for Sydney which was just an embarrassment all around. Typically a few batsmen got in and got starts, but it was bloody hard work scoring runs against the five-man attack, they chipped away at the top order and then annihilated the tail in five overs. 5 out all out.

The main difference here is that the difficulty in scoring quickly was more down to the pitch than super-disciplined bowling. It'll be interesting to see what it's like on a deck which is frankly less ****.

Last edited:

Motorwada

Banned
If Root is in the conversation as the second best bat in the world, this test has confirmed that the gulf between Smith and the rest is ****ing massive.

The England camp are wondering how the **** are you supposed to get this **** out, while the Aussies got our main man out in the same fashion twice.
Smith is way ahead of the other 3 who are relatively closer to each other.

TheJediBrah

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Kane Williamson, myself included, and you can't really blame them because I can't even remember the last time he played. If it was recent then it must have been against some other minnow team or something

Spark

Global Moderator
Weve won 10 out 15 ashes... and when we win we win big

Anything can happen at the Adelaide day/nighter. The last few years have shown that. A few good spells from the quicks, even just having the luck of innings timing being right to get the new ball under lights can be decisive. Also Broad & Anderson have the perfect set of skills for conditions to suit them perfectly, whereas Starc & Cummins in particular do not (assuming a similar wicket is prepared to the last couple of years)
Cummins maybe but Starc would be absolutely horrible to face under lights with the pink ball if it's swinging.