• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really hoping the Panthers get up today. Got a fair few mates who are mange supporters and I want to troll the fu k out of them.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Really hoping the Panthers get up today. Got a fair few mates who are mange supporters and I want to troll the fu k out of them.
Go burgey go. Doing gods work right here.

**** I love beating them. They were just awful today.

Burgey

Yeah I was spending Sunday arvo at a local pub playing Jenga int he beer garden and saw parts of the game. They looked horrendous. So good.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst Des has a top coaching record, the decision to extend his contract was a punt as the team has been largely awful for the last year

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
They've got absolutely nothing in their spine. Hopoate is ok but Mbye, Lichaa and Frawley are fringe first graders at best. You can carry one guy like that in your spine (see Dragons) but not 3 of them. Reynolds is hardly a big in for them either. If their forwards have an off day they just wilt.

Burgey

Mange fans are having Hasler Out! rallies. Should probably refer them to a few Arsenal fans on here for guidance.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Mange fans are having Hasler Out! rallies. Should probably refer them to a few Arsenal fans on here for guidance.
It's weird. The guy can obviously coach but the team has pretty clear problems that you'd think would have been identified earlier. Foran is a big gain, but losing Kasiano for Woods is a sidegrade at absolute best. Not sure there's much light in the immediate future.

I love watching fans of traditionally successful clubs go absolutely bananas when they go through a mildly lean patch though. Awww you're missing the finals this year are you? Diddums...

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah it's pretty funny to watch. What I love is the way their fans in particular bang on about their great "winning culture". They've won two premierships since 1988, the last of those was 2004. That's not a winning culture ffs. Not when sides like the Broncos and the Drizzle have been there or thereabouts for ages.

Anyway, **** them. I would love nothing more than to see them fold. They're a horrible, horrible sporting club.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I feel like Dez is one of those coaches who sort of wears out his welcome after a few years. He's obviously quite good but his "**** you, I'm the boss and you do what I say" kinda schtick has to wear thin at some point with the players and head office.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel like Dez is one of those coaches who sort of wears out his welcome after a few years. He's obviously quite good but his "**** you, I'm the boss and you do what I say" kinda schtick has to wear thin at some point with the players and head office.
Yeah possibly. I'd have had Ricky in that boat prior to his current stint at the Raiders so there's hope for anyone.

social

It's weird. The guy can obviously coach but the team has pretty clear problems that you'd think would have been identified earlier. Foran is a big gain, but losing Kasiano for Woods is a sidegrade at absolute best. Not sure there's much light in the immediate future.

I love watching fans of traditionally successful clubs go absolutely bananas when they go through a mildly lean patch though. Awww you're missing the finals this year are you? Diddums...
I support the Rabbitohs, we're absolutely **** and I couldnt give a toss as there is obviously something wrong at the club that will be sorted out eventually (wash, rinse, repeat)

Then again, our prolonged period of success predates traditional success

Burgey

A win so bad I'm actually too embarrassed to rib my Canterbury-supporting mates about it.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
NRL is an absymal product.
This is a bit dramatic, but I do agree the game's not in the best place at the moment. Origin always deflates this part of the season and while there are a number of specific factors that have lowered the quality of play (Penrith being mismanaged, the Warriors putting the Kiwi spine behind a pack of puffs, St George getting hit by injuries as they were hitting their straps, Souths losing their two best players, Newcastle/Tigers being complete and utter filth) I think the problem is deeper than any of that.

IMO there needs to be an infringement prior to the penalty. Kick for touch + 6 tackles is far too blunt an instrument for the kinds of things refs need to adjudicate on. Ruck speed is probably the worst offender. You can find a ruck infringement near every set if you're looking hard enough, but it's not possible for refs to punish teams for it without making a call that does a lot of work in deciding a match. What you end up with is a rule that's selectively applied. While the refs picking and choosing when to enforce the rules is a bad enough look for how it feels when you're on the wrong end of it, it has the meta effect of providing too much benefit for the defense. There hasn't been a successful distinctly offensive team in the last decade (maybe longer). The great modern teams (Melbourne, 09-10 Dragons, 07-12 Manly, the recent Roosters/Souths/Sharks teams) have all been dominant defensively and it's warped the league to the point that event teams that don't have the players/discipline to pull it off aren't able to play any other way (the current iteration of the Tigers are a good example of this). The Storm are the blueprint for exploiting it but I don't think the phenomenon is going away even if they stop being a force when their ATG players retire/leave.

I don't know what the exact solution is. Something like an extra tackle added to the set for minor ruck infringements seems like a good idea but wouldn't work for things like kick chase blockers and being inside the 10 (more rules everyone breaks that are selectively adjudicated on) and I don't know about having as many different punishments as there are infringements. Awarding a penalty that doesn't restart the tackle count might be a good compromise.

One of League's historic strengths as a code is a willingness to overhaul rules to improve the quality of the product. I hope the modern administration still have the stomach for it

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Origin is a poor product as well now. I've probably just lost the taste for it, but the whole code is bad. Every game is over-refereed and there's at least one match-affecting decision every week. The player movement system is absolutely stupid, players shouldn't be moving middle of the season and signing contracts for other teams in the middle of the season. I can't think of any other sport that has such a poor system (if you consider it a 'system') for it.

At this point I'd rather watch Rugby in most instances, and that is saying something as I think Rugby is *********.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Origin 1 was actually an example of how good the game can be. The refs stayed out of it and it didn't look like either coach had prepared to exploit the consequences of that.

social

I've really enjoyed the NRL in the past couple of years

There have been some great games and some amazing athletes on show

Some of the refereeing decisions are mystifying but overall a very good product IMO

Biggest complaint are the ticket prices which are beyond a joke

Rugby (aside from the ABs, NZ teams in general and a couple of others) is generally **** these days and super rugby comp structure makes no sense whatsoever

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I still love watching 80 minutes of Rugby League and the viewing experience is terrific on TV as obviously you can watch every minute of every game.

I agree/dislike the mid-season player signings, the uneven draw and the at the ground experience. The biggest issue for me in Sydney are the matches at Stadium Australia. It is just a terrible ground to watch footy and damages the game seeing 15,000 at an 80,000 seat stadium.

On a positive there are so many exciting players to watch.