• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI all-time XI's for each nation

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah but you need good leadership to guide this bunch if they come across a strong XI and Imran is the best captain

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Only a player whose place in the side is secure should become the captain IMO.

We don't want our captains get dropped now and then...

Having said that, I'll play both Dev and Imran in my Asia All-Time ODI XI. Playing an attack of Wasim, Imran, Waqar, Kapil, Muralitharan will do no harm to the side's batting either...

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
yeah but you need good leadership to guide this bunch if they come across a strong XI and Imran is the best captain
suspect that the dhoni style of more laid back captaincy would work better for this lot than the authoritarian "what i say goes" imran version.

in any event, i believe that the captain needs to be selected from the best 11.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
also imo ganguly instead of jayasuriya.

edit: and as brilliant as murali is in tests and ODIs. IMO the best ODI spinner ever is saqlain. stats seem to support this as well. so switch them.
Nah. There are nough Ganguly type players there. What that line up lacks is a dynamic opener.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
suspect that the dhoni style of more laid back captaincy would work better for this lot than the authoritarian "what i say goes" imran version.

in any event, i believe that the captain needs to be selected from the best 11.
Ha, ha, then Jayasuriya will be da man for that. Very laid back, somehow knows how to win.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
while it might not lie, it certainly does not say that he is a better leader than either dhoni or khan or even dev.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe. But Dhoni or Imran cannot do wonders if they lead Bangladeshis. Jayasuriya led in a difficult period where veterans of ODIs were retiring or going out of form (Arjuna, Aravinda, Dharmasena, Chandana etc), and with youngsters stepping in. If passive type of captaincy is what we are discussing Kapil Dev and Imran are out of the discussion. Dhoni vs Jayasuriya has some substance.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
not sure why the bangladeshis were brought into the discussion; the parallel with leading a team with some veterans is a specious one. additionally, passive and laidback are not the same thing, by any stretch of the imagination. don't think that anyone in their right mind would ever put forward jayasuriya's name to captain a team when dhoni or imran are present.

Dhoni vs Jayasuriya has some substance.
quite the opposite. basically, no discussion of captaincy with jayasuriya's name in it has any kind of substance whatsoever. the very idea is risible.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
not sure why the bangladeshis were brought into the discussion; the parallel with leading a team with some veterans is a specious one. Additionally, passive and laidback are not the same thing, by any stretch of the imagination. Don't think that anyone in their right mind would ever put forward jayasuriya's name to captain a team when dhoni or imran are present.

Quite the opposite. Basically, no discussion of captaincy with jayasuriya's name in it has any kind of substance whatsoever. The very idea is risible.
+1

Himannv

International Coach
quite the opposite. basically, no discussion of captaincy with jayasuriya's name in it has any kind of substance whatsoever. the very idea is risible.
Why is that? He wasn't that bad as a captain and he read the situation of the game quite well on the field. He was uncannily spot on when making certain appraisals and assessments of players and their abilities.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Why is that? He wasn't that bad as a captain and he read the situation of the game quite well on the field. He was uncannily spot on when making certain appraisals and assessments of players and their abilities.
should have made it clearer that it meant that no discussion of captaincy with jayasuriya's name in it when far better candidates abound has any substance.