• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI all-time XI's for each nation

Howsie

International Captain
Watto an interesting call there.
I don't really like it either tbh :p IMO Watson's record as an all-rounder is to good to leave him out but I really don't like the fact I have to play him at seven to get him into the team. However his record at seven isn't too shabby (even if it's only 20 odd innings).

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia

1.Adam Gilchrist
2.Mark Waugh
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Dean Jones
5.Andrew Symonds
6.Michael Bevan
7.Shane Watson
8.Shane Warne
9.Brett Lee
10.Nathan Bracken
11.Glenn McGrath
That team is just about perfect. I'm just wondering whether it would be improved by having Damien Martyn instead of Jones. Bevan or Hussey is also a tough, tough pick. I think Hussey will surpass Bevan over the course of his career in most people's minds.

I might also go with Damien Fleming over Bracken if there is a bit of swing in the air. Bracken's accuracy probably better in batsman-friendly conditions, perhaps.

EDIT : Also, Mark Waugh was awesome and his batting style + bowling, catching/fielding makes him a big favourite but Hayden's partnership with Gilchrist and his superior numbers should not be overlooked.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wright averaged 26 with a strike rate of 57.

Greatbatch>Wright as an ODI batsman. So is Ryder.

Greatbatch opened
Ryder opens
Jones has batted at 3
Styris has batted at 4
Taylor has batted at 5
Oram has batted at 6

Don't see what you're getting at tbh.

Fair call on Parore, though there is no way he should bat at number three.
Yeah more of a statement at where they batted most of the time as opposed to batted at all. And I reiterate that Wright was a gun, looking too deep into the stats and strike rates of the older generation players doesn't have too much value IMO.

Howsie

International Captain
I suppose if you were to just look at the stats of both Hussey and Bevan and make your selection soley on that you'd see most people go with Hussey because he has a much better strike rate, but for me personally Bevan was an all-time great who seemed to win matches for Australia at will. Perhaps it's bias on my part because growing up as a kid he and Gilchrist were easily my two favourite players but he was just a machine imo.

Nathan Bracken's record for someone who played his entire career during the 00's is just outstanding, given he also gives variety being a left armer it would be pretty hard for me to leave him out.

TumTum

Banned
I'm just wondering whether it would be improved by having Damien Martyn instead of Jones.
Can I know why?

Bevan or Hussey is also a tough, tough pick. I think Hussey will surpass Bevan over the course of his career in most people's minds.
In terms of stats I agree (but just). However Bevan played in a time where scoring was much more difficult and was the first one who really made the role of a finisher (and not just a pinch hitter in death overs, but winning games chasing too). He also seems to hold that legend status at home, which I don't think Hussey has.

EDIT : Also, Mark Waugh was awesome and his batting style + bowling, catching/fielding makes him a big favourite but Hayden's partnership with Gilchrist and his superior numbers should not be overlooked.
I agree. But the problem is do you pick purely based on individuals or do you take into account partnerships as well?

Like the team of 07 already had great catchers and part timers that Waugh's fielding/bowling is really not that important. So if your team is mainly based on players from that time, it is the logical choice to keep them together.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand's 15 Man Squad

Jones just misses out.

This would give NZ a second XI of something like:

Wright
Jones (Edgar/Vincent unlucky)
Parore (+)
Taylor
Twose
McMillan
Oram
Mills
Larsen
Chatfield
Patel (BUT WHICH ONE ;))
Has to be someone better than Jones for the 2nd X1 - I grew up watching Jones play and the guy could not turn the strike over. We had a few slow coaches in the team such as him and Jeff Crowe. On paper Jones' SR of 57 might sound ok but he was painful to watch. We tried him opening but then they said we needed faster starts so they tried M Crowe opening instead. Then we stagnated in the middle with Jones coming in - so they dropped Crowe down the order to give us a better middle. In my minds eye what I remember of Jones is that he tried to line up to hit the ball for at least two runs every delivery he got. If he didnt get a ball he could hit for two or four he would defend it. A better batsman is thinking I will take what I can get off each delivery including singles. This memory is from twenty years ago so please don't refute this with an analysis on the number of singles he took!

Just some more on Jones. He was late to debut for NZ. He was talking to his girlfriend who was a psychologist about his (domestic) batting one day and the two of them figured something out - he never said what it was - but he never looked back. Everyone should hire his girlfriend I figure.

How about Ken Rutherford for the team instead of Jones he had a lower average but had a healthier SR.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can I know why?
Mainly because I'm a big fan. :p I think the numbers are close enough for the question to be warranted though. Martyn was awesome against spin in the subcontinent in the latter half of his career (so was Jones TBF) particularly the CT '06, and he has that innings in the WC final.

In terms of stats I agree (but just). However Bevan played in a time where scoring was much more difficult and was the first one who really made the role of a finisher (and not just a pinch hitter in death overs, but winning games chasing too). He also seems to hold that legend status at home, which I don't think Hussey has.
True... but I think it's pretty close.

I agree. But the problem is do you pick purely based on individuals or do you take into account partnerships as well?

Like the team of 07 already had great catchers and part timers that Waugh's fielding/bowling is really not that important. So if your team is mainly based on players from that time, it is the logical choice to keep them together.
Again a close one, shows the extent of Australia's ODI dominance that their 2nd XI would probably give many first XIs a run for their money.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, certain we've done this before, but always happy to play again. (I was wounded when in Knocked Up, my wife laughed at the guy sneaking off to do a fantasy baseball draft)

Australia:
Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Ricky Ponting
Dean Jones
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan
Shane Watson
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath
(Squad members: Matty Hayden, Mike Hussey, Nathan Bracken, Steve Waugh)

Watson's played 114 ODIs, averaging 40.29 with a S/R of 84 with the bat and 27.93 with the ball, with a S/R of 34.4 and ER of 4.88. Those are phenomenal allround stats, and enough for me to somehow exclude Mr Cricket :wacko: Give five genuine bowling options and two handy part-timers in Waugh and Symonds (who can both bowl medium or spin).

In response to Morgieb's earlier point, I really wouldn't call Symonds a bit-n-pieces player in ODIs. He was a top-class ODI batsman in and of itself - his occasionally handy bowling and awesome fielding are strictly bonuses.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah more of a statement at where they batted most of the time as opposed to batted at all. And I reiterate that Wright was a gun, looking too deep into the stats and strike rates of the older generation players doesn't have too much value IMO.
Why would you have him then?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Prove it.:p

He shouldn't be in the team. Tests yes, you have a case, but not the ODI team, or in this case the ODI 2nd XI.
3500 runs opening for NZ is alright by me. :cool: And I'd consider having him captain the 2nd XI as well.

Flem274*

123/5
Chris Martin has almost 200 test wickets, but he still has an obsession with bowling round the wicket.

Just because someone gets picked enough, it doesn't change much. James Marshall case in point.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Chris Martin has almost 200 test wickets, but he still has an obsession with bowling round the wicket.

Just because someone gets picked enough, it doesn't change much. James Marshall case in point.
Chris Martin would probably be in our near the 2nd or 3rd XIs of NZ Test team. James Marshall has been picked once.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
AUSTRALIA:

1. Adam Gilchrist+
2. Mark Waugh
3. Ricky Ponting*
4. Dean Jones
5. Michael Bevan
6. Mike Hussey
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Shane Warne
9. Brett Lee
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

Back-ups: Matt Hayden, S Watson, Greg Chappell/Damien Martyn, Craig McDermott/J Gillespie.

Simon O'Donnell used to be in this team alot for me years ago.

ENGLAND:

1. Graham Gooch*
2. Marcus Trescothick
3. Nick Knight
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Allan Lamb
6. Alec Stewart+
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Ian Botham
9. Graeme Swann
10. Darren Gough
11. Bob Willis

Back-ups: Eoin Morgan, Paul Collingwood/Graeme Hick, Dereck Underwood, Andrew Caddick.

WEST INDIES:

1. Desmond Haynes
2. Chris Gayle
3. Gordon Greenidge
4. Vivian Richards*
5. Brian Lara
6. Carl Hooper
7. Jeff Dujon+
8. Bernard Julian
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Michael Holding
11. Joel Garner

Back-ups: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Richie Richardson, Roger Harper, Curtly Ambrose.

PAKISTAN:

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Aameer Sohail
3. Zaheer Abbas
4. Javed Miandad
5. Inzamam-ul-Haq
6. Imran Khan*
7. Moin Khan+
8. Wasim Akram
9. Saqlain Mushtaq
10. Shoaib Akhtar
11. Waqar Younis

Back-ups: Sarfraz Nawaz/Umar Gul, Abdur Razzaq, Shaid Afridi, Mohammad Yousuf.

SOUTH AFRICA:

1. Barry Richards
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Clive Rice*
6. Jonty Rhodes
7. Mark Boucher+
8. Mike Procter
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Allan Kourie
11. Allan Donald

Back-ups: Lance Klusener, Brain McMillan, Hansie Cronje, Graeme Smith

INDIA:

1. Sourav Ganguly*
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Mohammad Azharruddin
4. Yuvraj Singh
5. Rahul Dravid
6. Ravi Shastri
7. Mahendra Dhoni+
8. Kapil Dev
9. Roger Binny
10. Anil Kumble
11. Javagal Srinath

Back-ups: Ajay Jadeja, Virender Sehwag, Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh

NEW ZEALAND:

1. Brendon McCullum
2. Stephen Fleming
3. Nathan Astle
4. Martin Crowe*
5. Roger Twose
6. Chris Harris
7. Chris Cairns
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Shane Bond
11. Danny Morrison

Back-ups: Scott Styris, Glen Turner, Dion Nash, Jacob Oram.

SRI LANKA:

1. Sanath Jayasuriya
2. Marvan Atapattu
3. Kumar Sangakkara+
4. Mahela Jayawardene
5. Aravinda De Silva
6. Tillakaratne Dilshan
7. Angelo Matthews
8. Chaminda Vaas
9. Ratnayake
10. Lasith Malinga
11. Murali

Back-ups: Dharmusena/Randiv/Herath, Thilan Samaraweera, Zoysa, Ranatunga.

ZIMBABWE:

1. Alistair Campbell
2. Grant Flower
3. Murray Goodwin
4. Doug Houghton
5. Andy Flower+
6. Neil Johnson
7. Duncan Fletcher*
8. Kevin Curran
9. Heath Streak
10. Paul Strang
11. Eddo Brandes