• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZC Chief: 'A typical tour will be two Test matches', WI test dropped.

Howsie

International Captain
Sam Wells @Srwells7
NZC wants to reduce investment in the Plunket Shield citing cost yet their commercial team expands exponentially. Interesting priorities.

Aug 15
Replying to @Srwells7
Every NZ test player has played in the PS. Claiming Raval as the competition's only success is moronic.

Sam Wells @Srwells7
If NZC fails to invest in the competitions that produce BC's their business model is doomed to fail.

This man was just elected onto the NZ players association board. Perhaps there is some hope of saving us from David White

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sam Wells @Srwells7
NZC wants to reduce investment in the Plunket Shield citing cost yet their commercial team expands exponentially. Interesting priorities.

Aug 15
Replying to @Srwells7
Every NZ test player has played in the PS. Claiming Raval as the competition's only success is moronic.

Sam Wells @Srwells7
If NZC fails to invest in the competitions that produce BC's their business model is doomed to fail.

This man was just elected onto the NZ players association board. Perhaps there is some hope of saving us from David White
As long as those minds make it into the governing body. Heath Mills is a wonderful businessman and thinker, but his impact as NZCPA boss is a drop in the ocean compared to someone in White's position.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I've always found the bilateral limited overs stuff which is usually tacked onto test tours pointless. I rarely watch them.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Was a little rushed when I posted this yesterday.

It's a link to a petition asking for David White's resignation due to this absolutely lacklustre schedule and his attitude about it.
Signed.

Really I just want more test cricket and in particular proper 3-test series instead of worthless 2-test series, but as valuing test cricket and David White seem to be mutually exclusive then he has to go.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Signed.

Really I just want more test cricket and in particular proper 3-test series instead of worthless 2-test series, but as valuing test cricket and David White seem to be mutually exclusive then he has to go.
What his mooted plan is for all the money left once they cut the Plunket Shield to five rounds is also worth fleshing out. I haven't actually heard anything from White other than "more A tours". Ironically Sri Lankan pundits are in the news at the moment saying their Sri Lanka A team is always on the road, but it never really yields fruit like a stronger domestic structure would.

What age are NZC going to decide is young and malleable enough to actually mould and sophisticate as cricketers, I wonder. Would it be an Under-23 team that hosts plenty of touring sides and racks up overseas travel sporadically?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
What his mooted plan is for all the money left once they cut the Plunket Shield to five rounds is also worth fleshing out. I haven't actually heard anything from White other than "more A tours". Ironically Sri Lankan pundits are in the news at the moment saying their Sri Lanka A team is always on the road, but it never really yields fruit like a stronger domestic structure would.

What age are NZC going to decide is young and malleable enough to actually mould and sophisticate as cricketers, I wonder. Would it be an Under-23 team that hosts plenty of touring sides and racks up overseas travel sporadically?
It will be the occasional A tour consisting of 5 T20s, 3 one-dayers and a three-dayer with thirteen per side.

And perhaps some more PR training to learn how to say even less during interviews.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
As an aside, I assumed NZC's financials must be available somewhere as it's a public organisation. So I went searching, obviously with the unprejudiced premise of 'no money for test cricket you're wasting money on WHAT now?' and here we are: Publications.

Here's the 15-16 annual report for anyone that feels like some light reading :happy:. But in a shock twist, they've published it in some bizarre format that requires the installation of Adobe Flash.

Wtf? Truly there is no depth that David White will not sink to.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
@Kippax

So that ~$5M per year for domestic player payments is just eating away at David White huh. It's a COST, REDUCE IT. Never mind that it's the wellspring from which everything else eventually flows. It's also pretty small beans - not even 10% of the total costs listed.

And, while the good position of the accounts is largely down to the one-off World Cup hosting payment, it's all looking pretty healthy and you might be forgiven for thinking it's a good time to invest in the future by better funding domestic and grass-roots cricket.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Well tbf the concern about the Plunket Shield identifying a Peter Fulton or Jesse Ryder as still roughly the best in the business, or identifying the likes of Hamish Rutherford as being Test ready only to discover they're actually far from Test standard, is more than just a commercial man's idea of a problem. Someone like me would agree it's a problem.

Likewise how wet behind the ears our NZ U19's have started to look when they come up against the likes of Nepal or Afghanistan in foreign conditions. Whether NZC would benefit from allocating a lot more money to getting its best youngsters looking more worldly by the time they hit 20 (the way modern golf or tennis talent tends to be looking at that age) is certainly up for debate.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
There's room for debate on how exactly domestic cricket and pathways to the NZ team could be tuned and improved - for all of the six domestic sides, A-sides, U19s and club level. Others will know much more than me what good ideas are out there, what other countries or other sports do well and what we don't. And there is some truth that many of our current top players went from U19s to only a brief domestic stint before they did most of their development at NZ level (though there are plenty of counter points too - White is not right that Raval is the only success emerging from domestic cricket in recent years). So if there's an identified problem there, then try to fix it. A-level tours seem to me the obvious missing ingredient to bridge domestic cricket and international cricket.

And then there's the David White approach, to cut the amount of domestic FC cricket played. I don't think 'it's not working let's scrap it all' is a brilliant approach. You just can't get away from needing a sufficiently sized domestic pool of professional players who play lots of cricket all summer, and cutting the Plunket Shield in half really affects that. There is then much less cricket to develop young players, a lesser cricket culture, and much less cricket for NZ players to slot back into when they need match practice or to regain form and confidence. A decent domestic competition just has to be part of the picture, surely.