• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Vs Australia......

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun said:
At least a heavy caning from the Aussies can get that done.
Yeah ummm I think we've all seen enough of that. In the past 18 months I can't count the number of times I've copped crap from my Aussie mates. World Cup, TVS Cup, VB Series. :( Although the Adelaide and Sydney tests were nice. :)

I'm really looking forward to this game, and am backing NZ all the way because it'll spice up the tournament. If Australia get knocked out, we know we will have a new winner (as in not the previous tourny but rather since the WC, eh you get me), whereas with Australia in the semis they're likely to win it all. :@ ;)

However, I also agree with Slow Love, I think the biggest threat to Australia taking this tourny are Pakistan. NZ are a good team, but I don't feel their bowling is enough to beat Australia. However this isn't a best of 5 series, it's a one off match so they may do well on the day. For me, I'd love to see Australia and Pakistan knocked out, for my own personal benefit because I want India through without the threat of another Aussie whipping :D

biased indian

International Coach
lord_of_darkness said:
LMAO if we beat Australia.. then there would be no stopping us going on to winning the tournament.. i think India should be worrying rather..
i think that any cricket team in the world will be happy to face NZ than AUS on any given day

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well..tonight's the big clash between arguably the two top sides so far in 2004.

I rather get the feeling winning the toss will go a long way to deciding this match. And I also have a bad feeling that Fleming will lose the toss like he usually does in crucial matches.

Key Players

Aus: McGrath (NZ generally don't play him well), Symonds (top order collapse will mean his innings is crucial)
NZ: Fleming (Needs to get NZ off to a good start with the bat & his captaincy needs to be spot on), Jacob Oram (NZ will rely alot on Jake to bowl well)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Aus: McGrath (NZ generally don't play him well)

vs NZ bowling aves
McGrath - 19.83 - 20 matches
Lee - 20.27 - 10 matches
Gillespie - 48.5 (only 3 matches though)
Kaspa - 52 (only 1 match played)

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Arjun said:
That reminds me, why can't they be placed in the same group as the Indians? How many years, and how many defeats, will it take for the Indian team to realise that there are many problems that need to be addressed? At least a heavy caning from the Aussies can get that done.
It's actually quite the opposite. A caining from the Aussies wouldn't do anything as they always have that "there is no shame in losing to the best side in the world" excuse. The fact that they have been cained by the Aussies several times the last couple years and still nothing has changed proves it.

Now if they get romped by Pakistan on the 19th I bet you see some heads rolling.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The other point is that Bevan has saved Australia a few times recently against NZ. Bevan is no longer there so the onnus now falls on Michael Clarke to play that same fighting role.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
when was the last time nz and aus played ? and what happened ?

i cant remember :(

Also.. i think nz will win if we bowl first..

Raj123

U19 Debutant
MoxPearl said:
when was the last time nz and aus played ? and what happened ?

i cant remember :(

Also.. i think nz will win if we bowl first..
tri-series in india. nz lost 4(5) - 0

cbuts

International Debutant
people forget that before aussies run of the last 6 games, we had won 7 out of 9 against them. so its 7 out of the last 15 for us

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And if you go back even further....

Australia start favourites, but it should be a close one:

Mind you 15-8 NZ is very tempting...

Be interesting to see which 3 pacemen play for Aus.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
And if you go back even further....

Australia start favourites, but it should be a close one:

Mind you 15-8 NZ is very tempting...

Be interesting to see which 3 pacemen play for Aus.
mcgrath, lee, kasper ??

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hoggy31 said:
Dizzy and kasper will play, Hogg will come in for Lee or McGrath
Tough call, but I've heard similar rumours.

Lippy is quite a useful guy to bring in, I reckon.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Disaster for NZ being sent in.

19/0 after 5 overs though...impressive start.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
Disaster for NZ being sent in.

19/0 after 5 overs though...impressive start.
I'm not so sure - it could be that there'll be some cloud cover this afternoon. Gillespie has been very impressive so far, but McGrath has been abject in his first three overs.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Gillespie has bowled really well, McGrath struggling.
The longer NZ can keep wickets in hand the better.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
That was a superb follow up delivery mind you...but still, at least the first wicket fell at 7 rather than the 1st.