• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand in Pakistan

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm just looking at it from a Pakistan cricket fan's perspective mate where they have their PM come out saying there was no threat, and media reporting that it's Covid related, the reaction is to be expected. I imagine NZ will release more details once the players are out of the country and on their way back home. Hopefully that will clarify the situation.
I suspect the Nz govt could give a blueprint of the attack and voice recordings of it being planned and I doubt would change many people’s opinions if their government is telling them what they want to hear.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yeah these replies from Pakistan fans and officials don’t have much logic to them.

Bringing Bangladesh into it which was totally different circumstances.

It’s a really sad situation, but NZ isn’t the enemy in this.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Cue all the two-bit T20 mercenaries calling it the safest place on earth. It's like the last month never happened. Good on NZ going back home in one piece, literally. Silly notions of heroism aside, nobody wants to play a game under this sort of cloud.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 'intelligence' was bad, sketchy, vague, maybe even wrong.

I mean what sort of resources do they even have ...

But once they've been informed, the leaders (White, or even the PM) , they have to act. Cant just wish it away.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
CDG called in a threat because he wanted to go home.

Seriously though, Pakistani security details in Pakistan are probably better than what we've got, but even if there's a 1% chance of something going down you've gotta get outta there, it's just a game of cricket.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Lightweight seekers of a good consumer experience better not shop at the wrong Countdown though.

duffer

I was reading the thread on the Pakistan subreddit last night and a lot of the people on there are saying that there's a TTP inspired insurgency gathering momentum in Pakistan and that attacks are becoming more frequent.

The vibe there seems to be that the intel would be credible, as disappointing as it is for us all.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Pakistan's grievance is legitimate insofar they claim NZ have refused to share even the nature of threat, much less the details of the same. The precedent it sets could be calamitous going forward.

Their emotional response is also understandable given they have worked for over a decade to host teams. To watch their efforts go up in flames based on undisclosed nature of threat would justifiably lead to such reaction.

If tomorrow India refuses to take the field in NZ - based on their own assessment of an impending white supremacist (NZ is crawling with radicalized white supremacists too) terror attack - and refuse to share any further information with the hosts, how would that go down in NZ and here on this forum?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
NZ have refused to share even the nature of threat,
To be fair, if the assessors believe sharing with Government could be part of the threat, this is totally understandable. Lets remember what Imran and then the foreign minister has had to say about the Taliban take over in Afghanistan, especially that foreign minister (??) saying something like it is in the best interests of other countries to recognize Taliban.

I do think most of the responses have been understandable, even if over the top. But certain people in positions of responsibility could have shown a bit more restraint in keeping with their positions. That is all.

sunilz

International Regular
Personally, I don't think Pakistani response has been an ounce more dramatic than ENG's meltdown in the aftermath of 5th test cancellation.
Then you are looking at wrong places. At certain forum , they are asking their intel agencies to attack IPL in Dubai and carry out terrorist attacks in India.

RossTaylorsBox

If tomorrow India refuses to take the field in NZ - based on their own assessment of an impending white supremacist (NZ is crawling with radicalized white supremacists too) terror attack - and refuse to share any further information with the hosts, how would that go down in NZ and here on this forum?
It would be pretty acceptable. Nice attempt getting an own in though.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Then you are looking at wrong places. At certain forum , they are asking their intel agencies to attack IPL in Dubai and carry out terrorist attacks in India.
Are you sure I am the one looking at wrong places? Of course there would be unhinged folks everywhere including India. If you go purposely to look for the worst of Pakistan (or any other country) on web, it's easy enough.

vandem

International 12th Man
Pakistan's grievance is legitimate insofar they claim NZ have refused to share even the nature of threat, much less the details of the same. The precedent it sets could be calamitous going forward....
If the warning came through the Five Eyes intelligence network (US, UK, Can, Aus, NZ) then NZ is unlikely to share details with a country outside the network.

... If tomorrow India refuses to take the field in NZ - based on their own assessment of an impending white supremacist (NZ is crawling with radicalized white supremacists too) terror attack - and refuse to share any further information with the hosts, how would that go down in NZ and here on this forum?
If a team from a Islamic country were wary of touring after the mosque attack we would understand. NZers know there are extremists from various edges of the political spectrum. While our gun laws are tighter than some (most?) countries, it is hard to keep weapons out of the hands of a lone-wolf style vigilante.

IIRC there has been one single person right wing terrorist act in NZ history (perhaps two if you count an anti-union bombing in the 1980s). Some right wing internet froth is not evidence of "crawling with radicalized white supremacists".

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
If the warning came through the Five Eyes intelligence network (US, UK, Can, Aus, NZ) then NZ is unlikely to share details with a country outside the network.
It could have dropped as a credible intelligence nugget from Twin Anus Network but can you not see what a ridiculous cover it provides for whimsical action based on made up information? Or are you saying the nations involved in that network have a such nice track record of credibility and transparency that they cannot conceivably conjure up a convenient threat like that?