• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand 'A' 2020/21 Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I can report Joe Carter's batting wasn't at the standard you'd like to see during his 81 balls. McConchie's dismissal obviously had a bad look to it too (he is often beaten on his inside edge like that). His previous over did see him riding the really steep bounce from Oshane Thomas quite stylishly for a South Island batting product, that was one little bright spot in the knock. He seems very much the Frankie Mackay on the Canterbury men's side. There are some aspects of batting that his well above average cricket brain can give quite an artful quality to, and there are some where it could remain a big struggle.

Last edited:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Looks like an inside edge otherwise it was curtains.
No wonder but slightly high? Hitting the top of the knee roll on the front foot. DRS decision. Bowlers are always enthusiastic, anything that hits the pads they reckon it's out.

nzfan

Outstanding game so far for one of my other favorite young player, Nathan Smith. Starting to think he's a better batter than bowler now. Not a bad bowler but doesn't have the pace he promised in the U19 but very high utility player. His batting is quite good and definitely in the years to come it'll only improve. The only problem is we have so many all rounders of his skill it's going to take many special innnings with bat and ball for him to get close to Black Caps. Definitely one for future.

Immenso

I dont think other allrounders will be a problem for N Smith. He is significantly younger than the Neesham, Anderson, Mitchell, CdG glut. He is also still a long way off. So if he starts to rack up the performances, that will need to be at least 2 years body of work, by which time we may be gagging for him, or someone like him. In red ball.

Jamieson changes things if his batting continuesthis trajectory. Also part time spinner allrounders like Ravindra, Phillips could be his blockers.

nzfan

What an odd shot from Mayers to get out. 2nd or 3rd over the of the day. Last day with WI trailing by 182 runs with 7 wickets to go and he plays an over the top shot to get caught at mid off. If I'm in charge of the team he won't be in the playing XI next game. That's just carelessness written all over it.

nzfan

2 wickets for 2 bumpers for Nathan Smith. A ball he generally doesn't bowl in first class cricket and when he does usually he goes the distance. Here he's picking up wickets for short balls. I don't think WI is applying themselves here. When your top team is not doing well and there is such a good chance for someone in A side to stand up with a good performance they seem to be throwing wickets away. Surely if they put in some good performances here they will be picked up for the test side. Is that not a good enough carrot to bat proper?

Look at those WI A wickets package. Every wicket is pretty much a gift. Nothing out of the ordinary balls but most are chased or short balls.

Beamer

Tbf this is definitely not our A side. The only ones who would make an A side and n merit were Mosely, King, Pooran, Reifer, Da Silva and Shepherd. The others are there because they played the T20s.

Still, embarrassingly bad and watching those dismissals, I can think of about 3 or 4 that was down to good bowling. So many aerial shots.

nzfan

Meanwhile on Fox Sports is showing India A v Aus A. 3 day warm up match but accorded first class status. Shaw looking shocked at the bounce so far and Gill out first ball to Pattinson. There's a lot of bounce on the pitch.

We had proper WI near test side play NZ A and that was deemed not first class status. Shocker...

Chewie

FC doesn't depend entirely on quality of the teams playing but the rules they're playing under - more than 11 a side = not FC

nzfan

FC doesn't depend entirely on quality of the teams playing but the rules they're playing under - more than 11 a side = not FC
Yeah but they should clearly set it out as XI only considering how many games they had two games lined up prior test matches.

Shaw gone, easy wicket. Way outside the off and he poked at it. Honestly India are going to have some challenges this year with full strength Aussie squad.

Oh and fox sports covering it live on TV. Our NZ A games have fours and wickets highlights... Spark sport has so many channels why can't they show our NZ A games? Love to watch our fringe players right now, there's lots of talent and they haven't dropped a game in like 4-5 years.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Still, embarrassingly bad and watching those dismissals, I can think of about 3 or 4 that was down to good bowling. So many aerial shots.
Haha, you've gotta love Pooran's reaction to Powell's dismissal. I know he's played sfa FC cricket but I'd really love to see him get a run on Friday. So great to watch, a session where him and Blackwood get stuck in would be awesome.

thundaboult

International Debutant
I dont think other allrounders will be a problem for N Smith. He is significantly younger than the Neesham, Anderson, Mitchell, CdG glut. He is also still a long way off. So if he starts to rack up the performances, that will need to be at least 2 years body of work, by which time we may be gagging for him, or someone like him. In red ball.

Jamieson changes things if his batting continuesthis trajectory. Also part time spinner allrounders like Ravindra, Phillips could be his blockers.
Nathan Smith won't have to worry about competing with corey anymore, lol.

Immenso

So is the first Pakistan 'A' v NZ 'A' game ('test') still going to go ahead?
Was talk of Pakistan having an internal practice match instead? Because of delay getting out of quarantine.

Immenso

This article says:
The squad is expected to leave their managed isolation facility in Christchurch and fly to Queenstown on Tuesday, where they will train in the lead-up to the three-match T20I series that begins in Auckland on December 18.

Prior to the T20Is, Pakistan A, who are on a shadow tour, will feature in two four-day games against New Zealand A in the build-up to the two-Test series, which is part of the World Test Championship. The first four-day game begins on December 10 in Queenstown, with the second one from December 17 in Whangarei.

But cricket archive has the first 'A' game as being in Napier?

Immenso

2 NZ 'A' sqauds announced, 19 players in total with some overlaps. How on earth to they play the 2 games simulataneously v WIndies and Pakistan 'A's? (12 Dec and 10 Dec starting)

v Windies Av Pakistan A
CarterCooper
SeifertSeifert / Ravindra
ConwayConway
PhillipsPhillips
ChapmanChapman
McConchieNeesham
CleaverFletcher
Bracewell / SmithBracewell
KuggeleijnFerguson / Kuggeleijn
SodhiSodhi
Duffy / TicknerNuttall

nzfan

Pakistan A game is not happening. It's called off. Thank god for that otherwise our ford trophy will be like club comp.

There's an A game at Nelson vs WI A and then closer to Christmas another vs vs Pakistan at Whangarei.