• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand- #1 ranked test side for the first time ever

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ have population of 5 million.
Let's not be too harsh on them. It is a tremendous achievement that they are extremely competitive in 2 major team sports cricket and Rugby.
They deserve their no.1 ranking.
They don't make ICC FTP.
World's best sailors too and pretty good in a number of other sports as well.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In that series we lost to Aus we lost the toss on 2 green tops (and a ball that bowled Voges was called as a no ball when it wasn't- then he got a double).
NZ wouldn't have beaten that Aus side (which wasn't even that good) despite what excuses you wish to find. Regardless, losing 2-0 is not quite "steamrolling everyone at home" lol.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I've looked at that footage of Lyon v Santner between 25 to 30 times, and I still don't see conclusive evidence that it was out.
Mark Craig if you don’t mind ...

Edit: Oh shoot it was Santner. My Craig love got in the way of the facts.

TheJediBrah

Were you busy in late 2015? NZ got monstered in Brisbane, but there was an even high-scoring draw in Perth and NZ came within 3 wickets and an ICC "we messed up the DRS" apology from ICC from squaring the series in Adelaide.
fair, still NZ have had the rub of the green with results touring Aus over the last 2 decades. Hobart 2011 wicket was very generous and managing to get out of 2001 with a 0-0 scoreline.

vandem

International 12th Man
Same was said after 18-19, :)
I think most experienced CW posters knew NZ would struggle on the 19-20 tour of Aus. Staying home in Nov to make some money from 2 tests against England on flaaaat pitches, then preferring NZ based under-lights training over a warmup game in Aus didn't seem to be a good way to prepare for playing on Aussie pitches.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I've looked at that footage of Lyon v Santner between 25 to 30 times, and I still don't see conclusive evidence that it was out.
The front on hot spot at 2:20 I always thought was pretty conclusive. You can see see the edge light up as the ball passes the bat. Not to mention that hot spots don’t just pop up out of thin air.

TheJediBrah

This thread has gone about exactly how I would have expected. NZ posters have been a bit too sensible and even-tempered though

Flem274*

123/5
back in the day we got trolled when we were really, really bad after heavy defeats. a few posters just haaaaated nz for whatever reason.

i think i speak for many of us, as self elected spokesman, that if you're gonna get trolled you may as well win a few games, so it's pretty easy to just counter bait or keep scrolling these days.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
back in the day we got trolled when we were really, really bad after heavy defeats. a few posters just haaaaated nz for whatever reason.
I always thought it was a pity that Scaly Piscine left the forum just a few months before Boult and Southee shot England out for 56.

TheJediBrah

How good would Australiasia be right now if they were a Test team instead of individual countries, like the West Indies. Or if we just let NZ be our 7th state.

Warner
Labuschagne
Williamson
Smith
Taylor (he's still good right?)
Green
Watling
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Wagner

TheJediBrah

CdG would be an average player at best in Melbourne club cricket and you can't change my mind

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
How good would Australiasia be right now if they were a Test team instead of individual countries, like the West Indies. Or if we just let NZ be our 7th state.

Warner
Labuschagne
Williamson
Smith
Taylor (he's still good right?)
Green
Watling
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Wagner
I love Wagner, but I'd go