• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand- #1 ranked test side for the first time ever

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I’m assuming Wagner’s unfit and I’m not sure about CDG.

If the world test championship was on tomorrow and everyone was fit, who would NZ put on the park?

James

Cricket Web Owner
I’m assuming Wagner’s unfit and I’m not sure about CDG.

If the world test championship was on tomorrow and everyone was fit, who would NZ put on the park?
Same team but Wagner in for Henry.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A nice 3-4 match series between NZ and Australia in NZ would be awesome. Then again, I was looking forward to last year's series and by the end it became torture..

I do think it would be very competitive this time though. Just don't gift wickets to ****ing Lyon, NZ..

Flem274*

123/5
latham
blundell
williamson
taylor
nicholls
watling
cdg
jamieson
southee
wagner
boult

ajaz patel on standby if we think lords is set to turn day 5

Flem274*

123/5
A nice 3-4 match series between NZ and Australia in NZ would be awesome. Then again, I was looking forward to last year's series and by the end it became torture..

I do think it would be very competitive this time though. Just don't gift wickets to ****ing Lyon, NZ..
it wouldn't be lol they're this sides kryptonite

i expected nothing last summer as was still disappointed except with bae wagner

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
i think australia would take it comfortably tbh, because australia seem to live rent free in the heads of the current nz generation.

jamieson is the first zoomer in the team i believe barring the phillips one off test, so hopefully the next gen can combine the fleming era scrap with the current eras talent.
Six months ago I would have agreed, but the way the Australian batting lineup has played I fear things could go seriously wrong on a lively/grassy deck.

If Smith.exe hasn't been reset to the last stable version Australia would be screwed

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Jamieson just makes the attack seem very very potent, four quicks plus CDG in support makes for a pretty oppressive time for any opposition bats

TheJediBrah

IIRC NZ haven't once even been competitive against Australia in Tests in my time. There was the one Test at Hobart that they won but that was super flukey on a green top shoot-out. Also they technically drew a series (and nearly won) in 2001-02 but that was 99% due to rain ruining the first 2 Tests where they were absolutely bullied.

basically I'm saying that no matter how good they seem to be, they never challenge Australia in a direct match-up

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Loving how the stars aligned up to enable this. But everyone loves the Gentle Landers so even facts like they haven't won a test match in SA, India, Eng or Aus in the last 5 years shouldn't be held against them strongly.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
In fact they have won just 2 test matches in the above 4 countries since 2000, one at Hobart in 2011 and the other at Leeds in 2015. Quite incredible.

vcs

Maybe pretending to not like Test cricket because it's not financially lucrative and not playing long series is the galaxy brain strategy to reach No. 1. :ph34r:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
india have a won just a single test match in nz in decades but we shouldn't hold that against them strongly...or should we?
Ah well there are exceptions.. (to my original comment). Yes, having won only 1 test in NZ last 20 years is indeed bad but at least won the series for India.

On the other hand, the last time NZ won a test in India was in 1988, Kane Williamson was not even born.

No need to get yourselves in twists mate, I am merely pointing out the issues with these rankings where a team can achieve 1st ranking without doing any good in half the test nations which matter.

cnerd123

likes this
actually the rankings and the algorithm for it is pretty decent and well thought out from what I remember.

The issue is the lopsided calendars that the cricket boards agree to.

If fans of the Big 3 have any objection to NZ being number 1 they should go lobby their cricket board to play against them. TBT, India, Australia and England are just scared of being smashed by Williamson, Wagner and Co.

TheJediBrah

TBT, India, Australia and England are just scared of being smashed by Williamson, Wagner and Co.
scared of Labuschagne getting stress fractures from batting so long maybe
it's longer than 20 years mate. you have to go back to 1975/76 to find another indian test victory down here.

spare us the troll attempts bro, you're a fairweather fan with a glass jaw. i can't recall you being around last february.

as to nations that matter, looks like we do now :)
He's doing a decent job. Crafting these posts very well.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Loving how the stars aligned up to enable this. But everyone loves the Gentle Landers so even facts like they haven't won a test match in SA, India, Eng or Aus in the last 5 years shouldn't be held against them strongly.
Pretty hard to win a Test in England in last 5 years when they haven't actually played there. They did in fact win the last Test they played in England, which was May 2015.

Flem274*

123/5
as to our ranking, i don't think any kiwi will deny it is not a slim victory by an imperfect side but unlike certain events of 2019, it is a clear points victory. if particular fans of other nations are concerned i suggest they look to their own overseas results, perhaps the ones outside their circle jerk with each other and the south african kid they begrudgingly let in.

imagine dropping tests in bangladesh. i think id stop watching.