• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand- #1 ranked test side for the first time ever

aussie tragic

International Captain
Loving how the stars aligned up to enable this. But everyone loves the Gentle Landers so even facts like they haven't won a test match in SA, India, Eng or Aus in the last 5 years shouldn't be held against them strongly.
Pretty hard to win a Test in Eng in last 5 years when they haven't actually played there. They did in fact win the last Test they played in England, which was May 2015.

Howsie

International Captain
No need to get yourselves in twists mate, I am merely pointing out the issues with these rankings where a team can achieve 1st ranking without doing any good in half the test nations which matter.
New Zealand haven’t had an away series against India, South Africa or England in five years. It’s a bit difficult to go about winning there if you can’t even get invited.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
actually the rankings and the algorithm for it is pretty decent and well thought out from what I remember.

The issue is the lopsided calendars that the cricket boards agree to.

If fans of the Big 3 have any objection to NZ being number 1 they should go lobby their cricket board to play against them. TBT, India, Australia and England are just scared of being smashed by Williamson, Wagner and Co.
India will be shivering to play NZ in India ?

Flem274*

123/5
Indeed. My bad.
The last time NZ won a test match in India was in 1988, in SA was in 1994. Overall across Ind, SA and Aus, a grand total of three tests in last 35 years.
incidentally the number of tests india has been competitive down here in their entire history

you'll get your chance to gloat when we tour up there next summer, because ashwin and jadeja are almost invincible when it turns. if india lose though im sure you will stick around to discuss the series and not disappear like the glass jaw coward you are ay.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Pretty hard to win a Test in Eng in last 5 years when they haven't actually played there. They did in fact win the last Test they played in England, which was May 2015.
it's longer than 20 years mate. you have to go back to 1975/76 to find another indian test victory down here.

spare us the troll attempts bro, you're a fairweather fan with a glass jaw. i can't recall you being around last february.

as to nations that matter, looks like we do now :)
Last February ? Whats so big deal about it :ph43r:

One thing I am glad about this is that the biggies will start inviting NZ for more tests hopefully going forward. NZ deserves to play 3 match or 4 match test series in Eng, India and Aus more often than they are doing now.

Flem274*

123/5
Last February ? Whats so big deal about it :ph43r:

One thing I am glad about this is that the biggies will start inviting NZ for more tests hopefully going forward. NZ deserves to play 3 match or 4 match test series in Eng, India and Aus more often than they are doing now.
im looking forward to crying into my black caps shirt for 4 away losses in a row rather than 2, it's true

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
incidentally the number of tests india has been competitive down here in their entire history

you'll get your chance to gloat when we tour up there next summer, because ashwin and jadeja are almost invincible when it turns. if india lose though im sure you will stick around to discuss the series and not disappear like the glass jaw coward you are ay.
Lol, whats with making this personal bro. You are now no.1 so need to take banter in more relaxed way.

India has sucked in NZ no doubt. But given their much better records in Aus and SA for example (by much better it still isn't great either) seems more like lack of seriousness to take NZ as well as they take Aus for example.

This ranking should change that and give NZ the respect they deserve.

sunilz

International Regular
Indeed. My bad.
The last time NZ won a test match in India was in 1988, in SA was in 1994. Overall across Ind, SA and Aus, a grand total of three tests in last 35 years.
NZ have population of 5 million.
Let's not be too harsh on them. It is a tremendous achievement that they are extremely competitive in 2 major team sports cricket and Rugby.
They deserve their no.1 ranking.
They don't make ICC FTP.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
NZ have population of 5 million.
Let's not be too harsh on them. It is a tremendous achievement that they are extremely competitive in 2 major team sports cricket and Rugby.
They deserve their no.1 ranking.
They don't make ICC FTP.
Yeah. True that.

Although what is rugby

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
New Zealand haven’t had an away series against India, South Africa or England in five years. It’s a bit difficult to go about winning there if you can’t even get invited.
No, they toured SA and Ind in 2016 and Aus last year.

England was 2015, when they did one test.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
NZ deserve the ranking. I pointed out elsewhere, they have steamrolled everyone at home and been competitive away in the games they got to play. They may suck in Aus and Ind but Ind suck in NZ, SA and Eng and Aus suck in the SC. Its all swings and roundabouts. The rankings system is the fairest we have and NZ totally deserve the win. Well done to KW and the boys. I hope to see at least 3 test series from now, but onlly if the NZC chief sees dollars in it, I guess.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They seem to have that set template of winning games at home where they finally get the job done late in the last session of day 5 with a back-breaking effort by Wagner (this match was an exception of course).

vandem

International 12th Man
IIRC NZ haven't once even been competitive against Australia in Tests in my time. There was the one Test at Hobart that they won but that was super flukey on a green top shoot-out. Also they technically drew a series (and nearly won) in 2001-02 but that was 99% due to rain ruining the first 2 Tests where they were absolutely bullied....
Were you busy in late 2015? NZ got monstered in Brisbane, but there was an even high-scoring draw in Perth and NZ came within 3 wickets and an ICC "we messed up the DRS" apology from ICC from squaring the series in Adelaide.