• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New prodigy creates history

Teja.

Global Moderator
Tbh the speed demon argument is contradicted by Unadkat's selection.
I've given up on understanding the selection policies of the BCCI on fast bowlers tbh. On a general level, They pick dire bowlers who bowl at 130 kph and stick with them regardless of them continuing to be dire. Once in a blue moon, They pick a 125 kph bowler who's 20 for one game, notice that he's dire on his debut and use it as fuel to dump him forever.

Zaheer was a member of the initial group but he went and played county cricket and became a very good bowler. You have to do something like that to become a good test bowler for India tbh. There's no becoming one with the system the BCCI has atm. So I have to hope the selectors don't pick him next year for England where he might take some 5 wickets @ 50 and move the ball a little and win himself 3-4 years with the team as a dire unimproving bowler and I also have to hope that they don't unadkat him in a game against WI next year.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Basically if you can bowl even a few balls over 140 you are a guaranteed selection,even if it is a wide or a no ball or no matter how wayward you ball.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
As for Chahar he can get it up to 130 and has touched 135 too,according to reports on one off occasions.

With his ability as a swing bowler if he can average 125 Km consistently ,he will be a handful no matter what.
Look at Asif,Zaheer etc...

There is no point going for that extra pace and losing the swing ,which would be fatal.
He needs to strengthen his slight frame to solidify his action and handle the workload ,but not neccessarily look to do anything differently to gain pace.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think both him and Praveen would be good calls for the England tour, but i am worried what will happen after he is a success in england.

He will probably be played on flat tracks and ODI's like Ishant and Irfan and would lose confidence,try to add pace and change his action and lose his movement.

Do not want another bowler losing his confidence after being smacked around on flat indian ODI wickets which only favour the slower bowlers if anything. Infact i am worried about him playing in the IPL too.

First it was Irfan pathan who sufffered after a promising start and lost all swing,then it was Ishant Sharma who went the same way after a promising start.

Also he bowls way too many freebies trying to ball the wicket taking bowl still,and in International cricket could be really expensive. He still is not in control over his line and length and needs to improve it.

So i really won't pick him at the moment . Would be better to send him to the NCA or the MRF Pace academy and get him a fitness trainer.
Just to build on his frail body and just giving him confidence and strengthening his action ,before taking him to the national team. Just to make sure he can handle the workload ,not to add pace or anything.
He does not neccessarily require too much more pace,but losing the movement would be fatal.

At the moment i think Pankaj Singh is ready for a International call up,not Chahar and if we need a Swing bowler then pick Praveen Kumar.

cnerd123

likes this
Manee :D A familiar face.

Chahar will, at best, me a mid 130s bowler. But he's got an amazing skill to swing the ball both ways at his age, and that too even when conditions don't suit it. Some more time, experience, and fitness, and he'll be great. As long as he survives the way the BCCI handles young pace talent.