• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

Howe_zat

Audio File
I am guessing it's someone like Misbah Ul Haq or Shoiab Malik having played a game against Hansie Cronje. Can't find an appropriate 'Z' though.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I may have misled you all when I said "much more recent" - while the relevant matches did take place decades after those for the Duff/Storer-Rhodes-Sealy trio, they aren't particularly recent now.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Time for a new question?

What do fast bowlers Charles Kortright, Roy Gilchrist, Frank Tyson and Jeff Thomson have in common?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I may have misled you all when I said "much more recent" - while the relevant matches did take place decades after those for the Duff/Storer-Rhodes-Sealy trio, they aren't particularly recent now.
haha I think you're just going to have to give us the answer for this mate.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Not sure it really fits the format, but here's a trivia question:

X played in a Test in which Y also played.
Y played in a Test in which Z also played.
X died before Z was born.
Who are X, Y and Z?

(There are three possible answers, though two of them involve the same Y and Z).
Final (pretty big) hint for the third answer: The test that X and Y both played in, the death of X and the birth of Z all happened in 1959.

ataraxia

International Coach
Final (pretty big) hint for the third answer: The test that X and Y both played in, the death of X and the birth of Z all happened in 1959.
Don't have time to completely figure this out, but Y would be Mushtaq Mohammad or Nasim ul-Ghani I'm pretty sure.

SeamUp

International Coach
And Your guess is correct !!

South Africa it is. With Dr.Ali Bacher who was South African Captain when it was barred from Test Cricket in 1971. Also SA cricket board president recently and I hope a potential ICC chairman in the future !!

Adam his nephew is another. I didn't know that Dale Benkenstein was jewish. There is another player called Mandy Yachad who played one ODI only.

Because my question had not been worded correctly , I expected someone to have a dig by answering Israel as the country to have most jewish cricketers play International Cricket. :D

Anyway your turn Boy Brumby. :)
I was never much of a history buff at school but in recent years I have grown to really take an interest all kinds of history.

World Jewry and their movement & history has been really interesting. It isn't surprising that SA has had the most Jewish cricketers considering the influx of in particular Lithuanian/Latvian Jews from the late 1800s. The Diamond/Gold industry was also massive for Jews/Brits coming to SA and becoming wealthy. But they were also extremely vital in building SA when you think of Sammy Marks/Saul Solomon and many others. So cricket eventually became part of their culture here. But then again, England/Australia could also possibly have had more than they did.

Besides those Jewish SA cricketers mentioned there were others.

Manfred Susskind
Normon Gordon (for a while the oldest living test cricketer)
Sid O'Linn (Famously played professional football in England too - Johnny Waite's best friend)
Dennis Gamsy

In isolation years there were quite a few on top of Bacher /Gamsy/Yachad. The most well known being.
Lawrence Seeff (Played for SA Rebels)
Terence Lazard

PS only have to look through scorecards over time to see there were loads more in FC cricket.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Name the Test player who, while playing for his country's 2nd XI, took all 10 wickets in an innings for just 29 runs and then made 157 not out.