• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Trevor Molony, the last lobster, was the bowler, Percy Fender his skipper. http://cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/10/10058.html was the match
Yes. Well done.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Molony, Fender and the match is correct. The comment that he was 'the last lobster' is not totally correct. He was the last one to only bowl lobs and nothing else.. Here os what happened.

Having heard from DLA Jephson of Molony's effective bowling in a match for Cambridge Freshman, in which Hobbs threw away his wicket (in disgust?), Fender decided to include this lob bowler in the game against Notts. Surrey collapsed for 76 and Notts were comfortably ahead at 170 for 5 when he put Molony on for the first time. Molony was a lob bowler who . . .

"bowls leg-theory and bowls it accurately too. He varies the flight of the ball excellently and bowls an exceedingly good full toss at an awkward height.

There were four men on the boundary, an outer ring, and (JUST) one man on the off side at mid off. The attempts of the last few Yorkshire men were ludicrous, and evinced much laughter from the crowd, who showed their un mistakable delight in seeing a lob bowler go on. In any event, bowling as he did wide on the leg side, very few runs were scored off him, and in desperation several of the batsmen lashed out at his full pitches, with dire results, for they placed them right down the throats of the fieldsmen on the boundary"​

One batsman was caught at fine leg, another at deep square leg and a third
"attempted to execute an overhead tennis-serve shot through the unguarded cover and succeeded only in plunking the ball into Ducat's hands at mid-off"​

Another, Richmond,
"was halfway up the pitch to one ball, missed it, and scampered back, more or less alongside the ball, just in time to get into his ground. Both Richmond and Strudwick (the keeper) finished up lying full length on the ground. Rarely has such comic bowling been seen in first class cricket."​

Fender recalls one spectator shouting, "Dont take him off Fender, I want to go home and get my old woman. She hasn't had a good laugh for months."

Molony played just two more matches but the 3 for 11 he took in this innings was his best bowling. He ended up with four wickets in his career at 22.25 eac. He was never clobbered !!

By the way, others who bowled lobs after Molony included,
- PR May in 1926, played for Free Foresters against Cambridge University and bowled 10 overs of lobs over two innings. May was playing his first first-class match after 16 years.

- In 1931, Notts and England Captain, Arthur Carr, bowled at least one "most subtle lob" to Gloucestershire batsman, Eric Stephens, who, as his team were just playing out time, "was seriousness personified, even when Carr bowled him a lob, his expression of grim determination never altered, although the crowd roared with laughter."

- Carr again bowled five overs of lobs two games later against Warwickshire as they were piling on a massive 511 for 3.

- Johnny Clay, Glamorgan and England bowler, with over a thousand first class wickets, bowled lobs in .a match against Leicestershire Shipman was batting at 145 and Gloucetershire were struggling on a hot day when Clay decided to bowl lobs and clean bowled the well settled Shipman with one of these. "Clay was so jubilant that he did a sort of highland fling and the rest of the team flopped on the ground laughing convulsively."

- As late as 1953-54, Jack Iverson, bowled lobs on tour to India.​

You turn Tapi.

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
I am off on a long holiday in a few hours. So a very dull one - may not be back quick enough to check.

Bruce Yardley and Bruce Reid are the only Australian cricketers to - what ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am off on a long holiday in a few hours. So a very dull one - may not be back quick enough to check.

Bruce Yardley and Bruce Reid are the only Australian cricketers to - what ?
  1. Is it a feat on the cricket field (as batsman bowler or fielder?
  2. If yes, is it in a Test?
  3. Is it related to debut?
  4. If not, is it related to the last Test they played
  5. Is it something to be proud of ?

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
1. Is it a feat on the cricket field (as batsman bowler or fielder?

It is about not doing something

2. If yes, is it in a Test?

Yes

3. Is it related to debut?
4. If not, is it related to the last Test they played

No & no

5. Is it something to be proud of ?

Not good or bad

I have to speed this up

Hints etc -
Unique among Australian cricketers.
It is a combination of two things - among those who have done something, they are the only ones to ....
If he does well in India and in the Australian summer, Stuart Clark will (temporarily) become the third.
You are already warned that it is a dull question !

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Take 100 wickets without a 5-for?

EDIT: just looked them up on cricinfo & I'm clearly way off there...

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
I just found out by chance - both took over 100 Test wickets without playing a Test in England. I don't think Clark would be a member of that club for long though.

stumpski

International Captain
Just a quick one from me and I have a feeling it won't take long for someone to get it.

Who had 1497 first-class wickets to his name when he made his Test debut?

stumpski

International Captain
He can't have been far off can he, given that he'd been playing for 15 years - but no.

A postscript to the question about the 'lob' bowler is that Mike Brearley also bowled underarm on occasions during the 1980 season. He had a thick beard at the time which made him look even more like a player from the 19th century.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He can't have been far off can he, given that he'd been playing for 15 years - but no.
Ewart Astill.

He had 1490 wickets till the end of the 1927 domestic English season. He must have taken another 7 in South Africa that winter before he made his Test debut there that season.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Ewart Astill.

He had 1490 wickets till the end of the 1927 domestic English season. He must have taken another 7 in South Africa that winter before he made his Test debut there that season.

If Astill is also the answer, that is a remarkable coincidence - he wasn't the player I was looking for though. This man was also picked for a South African tour, late in his career.