• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its to do with bowling

It is at first class level

Nothing to do with captaincy

A hint - others who share in the common thread are Jack Iverson, CB Fry and Ken Suttle

fredfertang

Yes

Not that it's a big clue but Arthur Carr, Reggie Spooner and PGH Fender as well

Let me know when you want the big clue!

stumpski

International Captain
Hmmm ... Blackham took two first-class wickets, and MacLaren one. I would say something like 'called for throwing' but I'd be very surprised, to say the least, if Verity ever was.

It can't be anything to do with a common opponent either, because Suttle's career began long after Blackham and MacLaren's had ended.

Before I search for the match in which MacLaren took his sole wicket, is it connected with the taking of a wicket in any way?

stumpski

International Captain
Brearley clinched it for me. I remember a report about him bowling underarm in a Championship match - presumably as some sort of protest - around 1979 or '80. Illegal now, isn't it?

All bowled under-arm in a first-class match? Even Verity?

fredfertang

Yes thats the link - there is a fascinating little book by Gerald Brodribb called The Lost Art which contains a list of all who have bowled lobs in a first class match - Verity is on the list but the bloody book has no index so i haven't got to the bit, if indeed it is there, where we learn when he did it.

stumpski

International Captain
I shall have a think and come up with something, it may have to be tomorrow though as I have to vacate the laptop soon. If someone wants to ask one before then, that's fine.

fredfertang

No it is there - Surrey v Yorkshire at the Oval in 1933 - Surrey batted all day on day one and when they batted on after lunch on Day 2 Verity started bowling lobs as a protest - clearly an ill-tempered match because following on Yorkshire refused to score runs to deny Surrey a new ball (which I think came every 200 runs in those days)

archie mac

International Coach
I might jump in with an easy one:)

Who am I?

I share a nickname with an Aussie great, although I was not happy with that!

I became a Test and FC umpire, and sometimes would walk around in circles at Square Leg and do "No.1s" or I would bring out a little bottle and do it on the field when no one else was watching:-O