• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil Fairbrother vs Roge Twose

Aritro

International Regular
Neil Fairbrother was one of my favourites as a little kid. Good player for the poms, and an unreal fielder. Also played a match winning knock in a tape we had of Lancashire beating Worcestershire in a Benson and Hedges Cup final which I watched far more often than it deserved.

Later came to Bangladesh to play in the big derby between Abahani and Mohammedan which used to have hype comparable to Real Madrid Vs Barcelona in those days. I think he made 60 or 70 odd in a low scoring affair and had a decent partnership with Tamim's legendary uncle Akram Khan. We won by 10 runs and just seeing an actual international cricketer playing in Bangladesh on TV was thrilling.

I don't remember anything about Roger Twose other than his stupid name. Also, wasn't he a bowler?

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't remember anything about Roger Twose other than his stupid name. Also, wasn't he a bowler?
No - over 300 runs at an average of 80 in the 1999 World Cup, and he got pretty close to the top of the world ODI batting rankings around that time.

Aritro

International Regular
From his Cricinfo profile:

Sensing the England selection door would never open, Roger Twose migrated to New Zealand more or less with the promise of Test cricket. With every reason, for Twose, a seasoned Warwickshire professional, soon displayed his wares as a crafty left-hand batsman, a miserly medium-pace bowler, and a shrewd tactical captain. Also, everything seemed a means to an end for Twose. As his commercial activities increased, Twose's cricket appetite slackened, to the point that he did not play Test cricket after the 1999 tour of England, where he starred in the 1999 World Cup. Twose was been an essential member of the New Zealand one-day squad, but his unavailability for one-day expeditions to Sharjah and Sri Lanka was followed by his retirement during the winter of 2001 to pursue other interests and a banking career.
Don Cameron

Another gun player lost to international cricket so he can ply his trade with some franchise on the banking circuit. :censored:

Zinzan

Both fine ODI players, so hard to separate.

It's often forgotten that Twose could hit an extremely long ball.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Easily Neil Fairbrother till the time Rozer Twose suddenly exploded around 1999 WC, after that he was a different man, that man can arguably walk into any alltime Odi eleven.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We need sixes, fours and Twose to win

As a kid just looking at scorecards in the paper with no Foxtel...(sigh) I assumed his name rhymed with rose

mr_mister

Fairbrother was cool though for being consistently decent the whole 90s. If England played more ODIs he could have been a real star player

flibbertyjibber

Fairbrother was cool though for being consistently decent the whole 90s. If England played more ODIs he could have been a real star player
This, one of our best ODI bat's ever but hardly played. Also one of our worst test bat's ever but we can ignore that. Great fielder too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Twose for sure.
Probably the 2nd or 3rd best ODI bat in the world behind Bevan at the turn of the millennium. Along with Cairns owned McGrath and Warne when we beat the Aussies in the 99 CWC. There is a great video on Youtube of him scoring 43 off 7 in Cricket Max while using a Duncan Fearnley.

When Brian Lara signed with Warwickshire Twose wrote him a note saying: "Welcome to the 2nd best lefthander in the club".

Incidentally Fairbrother's middle name is Harvey as his mother was a cricket fan who really liked the great Australian left hander.

mr_mister

Twose for sure.
Probably the 2nd or 3rd best ODI bat in the world behind Bevan at the turn of the millennium. Along with Cairns owned McGrath and Warne when we beat the Aussies in the 99 CWC. There is a great video on Youtube of him scoring 43 off 7 in Cricket Max while using a Duncan Fearnley.

When Brian Lara signed with Warwickshire Twose wrote him a note saying: "Welcome to the 2nd best lefthander in the club".

Incidentally Fairbrother's middle name is Harvey as his mother was a cricket fan who really liked the great Australian left hander.
It sucks that the innings of Twose you're referring to is basically the only innings of his on YouTube lol. Would love to see some of the knocks that got him to number 2 in the world. He's a bit of an enigma to me

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It sucks that the innings of Twose you're referring to is basically the only innings of his on YouTube lol. Would love to see some of the knocks that got him to number 2 in the world. He's a bit of an enigma to me
For Twose on Youtube there's also 103 vs SA 2000, 85 vs SA (partnership with Fleming) in the same series, and 80 (with Cairns) vs Aus from 1999 WC. It is too hard to post videos from my phone.