• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

National Stereotypes!!!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Really? Not going to ask which one you are?
pretty pointless, the vulgarity of the post was just glaring and i was left with no choice. Pot Kettle Black once more Banal Yogi.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
sledger said:
pretty pointless, the vulgarity of the post was just glaring and i was left with no choice. Pot Kettle Black once more Banal Yogi.
It was obviously a joke, and you know it.

I'd also appreciate you using my proper user name, rather than resorting to childish name calling.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Turbinator said:
I haf a question why does NZ play cricket more often.........I mean they play such little cricket
A number of reasons...
1) Our board seemingly has no interest in scheduling test series. Read how they dumped a test from the upcoming SL tour and replaced it with two 20/20 games. I'm mystified as to what they're thinking up there, after all the hard work in the late 90s/early 2000s to repair NZ cricket from the shambles it was in the mid 90s they're now doing there best to kill off the game in NZ.

2) Other teams seem to hate touring here. India don't like the pitches, Pakistan are probably the same, there was some minor incident during the last WI tour here (and of course the remnant ill-feeling from the 1980/81 tour here), SA moaned about being targeted by the public, the media, Stephen Fleming etc last time they were here, England haven't been here for a few years but they probably don't enjoy coming out to the 'middle of nowhere', SL have been over several times in the last few years and I seem to remember thinking that they didn't look to pleased to be here, and Australia don't like it if when our crowds get stuck into them (always amuses me that one considering the reputation of Australian crowds). Really, I don't see why they don't like it here, it's quite a pleasant place.

3) Other boards don't like scheduling longer series against us, because we don't bring as much money in as Australia/England/India etc. Look at the ridiculous number of three-test series we've played in the last few years compared to how many two-test series we've played. Just look at the number of tests our guys have played compared to other countries - e.g. Scott Styris has been a regular since his debut in 2002 (I don't think he's missed a test) and he's only played 27 tests. As far as ODI series go its not quite so bad though - e.g. the recent launch of the Chappell-Hadlee ODI series (our board actually has a reasonable relationship with the Australian board I believe).

4) There's still the perception in the cricketing world that NZ are a bunch of honest no-hopers that don't deserve to be playing against the superstars of other countries. IMO, this is another factor as to why we don't play much cricket, and also as to why other teams don't seem to like touring here (despite the fact that at home we can comfortably beat any other team bar Australia).

Most of all, I think its all about the money.

James

Cricket Web Owner
sledger said:
ha, if the mods here had a problem with the way i conduct myself then they would have told me, i have conversed regularly with the moderators on msn and have been assured my conduct is not a problem, just because you have crawled out of a hole and started whinging won't be changing that, everyone else here accepts it as my way, and that is that, have a nice day Mr Banal.
First I've heard of it sledger. I've no idea who you're referring to on the moderation team, but no one can be assured that their conduct is ok, no matter the situation.

And as a member who has been around a fair while, you should know better than to try and start a flame war by your first post in response along with Steds and Pothas who were obviously attempting to stir up trouble.

As per the forum rules "If you are a long standing member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather then attacking them. We look upon our veteran members to use this opportunity to teach the newer members the appropriate way to use these message boards.".

and

"3) Flame Wars - No tolerance will be given for this sort of thing. Just keep in mind that you are arguing via text on a public message board... Is there really a clean cut winner? I suggest you keep that sort of thing on someone else's board or some instant messaging service."

Sir Redman has put the thread back on track with his post, so let's here no more on it... or take it to email/msn.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
thx james and sir redman

I got one for newzealand

New Zealand: Regular producer of exciting stars surrounded by a pack of boring but honest toilers. Struggle to bowl a team out twice, but more than useful in one-dayers. Tactical Captains who lead by example. Good at home but mediocre on tour. Green seaming pitches.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Turbinator said:
thx james and sir redman
That will be $20, thank you.

I'll just edit this bit to make it correct:

Turbinator said:
I got one for newzealand

New Zealand: Regular producer of exciting stars who will all suffer serious injuries just when they look like producing the goods surrounded by a pack of boring but honest toilers. Struggle to bowl a team out twice, but more than useful in one-dayers. Tactical Captains who lead by example. Good at home but mediocre on tour. Green seaming pitches.
:dry:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Turbinator said:
thx james and sir redman

I got one for newzealand

New Zealand: Regular producer of exciting stars surrounded by a pack of boring but honest toilers. Struggle to bowl a team out twice, but more than useful in one-dayers. Tactical Captains who lead by example. Good at home but mediocre on tour. Green seaming pitches.
I don't think that's too far off the mark. We actually get some decent pitches here during the domestic season - we just like to spice them up with a bit of grass when the batting-heavy sides tour here... :D

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Voltman said:
I don't think that's too far off the mark. We actually get some decent pitches here during the domestic season - we just like to spice them up with a bit of grass when the batting-heavy sides tour here... :D
I was of the impression that pitches just are "getting better and better" (i.e. flatter and flatter ;) ) - though they couldn't be much worse than the ones India played on... :)

Another stereotype: England: the only country where a drawn Test match can induce coronaries

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
To be fair it was more than just the Ashes. We'd blitzed everyone for a while previous to the Ashes - hence the hype.
But after every series, we were told how it was all luck they won them and the opposition were underperforming!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
But after every series, we were told how it was all luck they won them and the opposition were underperforming!

Well other countries have their own versions of Scaly Piscines too, you know :).

Yea, England right after the Ashes were clearly the #2. Right now, they are still probably #2, but perhaps not clearly so. I would have said Pakistan would be #2, but they didn't do well in England (yes, they were injured, but so was England), so the mantle goes back to England.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Turbinator said:
thx james and sir redman

I got one for newzealand

Regular producer of exciting stars? This is New Zealand we're talking about right?

I would say something like:

Considerably lacking in quality batsmen, lots of mediocre bowlers who can bat and so have a very long batting lineup. Hard working side who make the best of what they have but ultimately don't win anything particularly important.

James

Cricket Web Owner
sledger said:
they know who they are.
Well it certianly hasn't come from me, and whoever gave you that assurance doesn't have the authority to give it, so it means nothing.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Scaly piscine said:
Regular producer of exciting stars? This is New Zealand we're talking about right?
Chris Cairns, Nathan Astle, Shane Bond, Stephen Fleming to name but a few in the past few years, with Ryder & Taylor coming through... Looking back to the 80's there were many world class cricketers too...

Scaly piscine said:
I would say something like:

Considerably lacking in quality batsmen, lots of mediocre bowlers who can bat and so have a very long batting lineup. Hard working side who make the best of what they have but ultimately don't win anything particularly important.
Maybe so, but we've lost almost all our best bowlers over the past few years to injury. If they had remained fit, a bowling attack of Allott, Bond, Nash, O'Connor, Cairns, Vettori would be pretty dangerous on the world stage.