• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

National Stereotypes!!!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
New Zealand are the team that everyone forgets about
who are you?

Well it certianly hasn't come from me, and whoever gave you that assurance doesn't have the authority to give it, so it means nothing.
James you blocked my MSN months ago, and if thats the case, i would have a word with your moderating team.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James said:
Chris Cairns, Nathan Astle, Shane Bond, Stephen Fleming to name but a few in the past few years, with Ryder & Taylor coming through... Looking back to the 80's there were many world class cricketers too...
Calling Fleming and Astle exciting stars is like calling Collingwood (without taking into account his fielding) an exciting star because of his batting... if you're going to set the bar that low then pretty much everyone is an exciting star at international level. Astle has a very occasional flash of brilliance and the rest of the time he's pretty dull and isn't a star (averages well under 40 in Test cricket, slow strike rate in ODIs), Fleming isn't a star either (mediocre record in Tests and ODIs).

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
James said:
Chris Cairns, Nathan Astle, Shane Bond, Stephen Fleming to name but a few in the past few years, with Ryder & Taylor coming through... Looking back to the 80's there were many world class cricketers too...

Maybe so, but we've lost almost all our best bowlers over the past few years to injury. If they had remained fit, a bowling attack of Allott, Bond, Nash, O'Connor, Cairns, Vettori would be pretty dangerous on the world stage.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: u must be joking all these people u named except vettori and flemming arre dangerous :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: a bowling attack of Allott, Bond, Nash, O'Connor, Cairns, Vettori would be pretty dangerous on the world stage8-)

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Turbinator said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: u must be joking all these people u named except vettori and flemming arre dangerous :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: a bowling attack of Allott, Bond, Nash, O'Connor, Cairns, Vettori would be pretty dangerous on the world stage8-)
That kind of dismissive attitude is a possible reason why India tend to perform poorly when they come here.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Turbinator said:
Of course it would be dangerous - a six-man bowling line-up would be a luxury... :ph34r:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
Of course it would be dangerous - a six-man bowling line-up would be a luxury... :ph34r:
lol good point and yoh mundane yogi give it up wow we lost in New Zealand BIG DEAL!!!!

Dick Rockett

Voltman said:
Nathan Astle - 222. Enough said.

Scaly just being his usual angry persona.
He'll say something along the lines of "what has he done since?" as if scoring the fastest double century in the 100+ years of test cricket isn't much of an achievement.

Dick Rockett

Turbinator said:
lol good point and yoh mundane yogi give it up wow we lost in New Zealand BIG DEAL!!!!
Lost? India were hammered.

If they can't beat our pack of pathetic no-hopers, exactly how do you expect them to beat anyone else?

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Mundane Yogi said:
Lost? India were hammered.
HOLY! wow ur so proud was that like ur only victory in a long time.......answer me one simple question the biggest stage of all THE WORLD CUP......how many has New Zealand won or even how many of the semis and finals has it come into.

Dont forget in 2003 in the last super six match between NzLAnd and India.......Nzland were begging us for to lose becuz we had already made it to the semis but had newzealand lost the match they wudve been out and srilanka wudve made it so cut ur crap!!

Dick Rockett

Turbinator said:
HOLY! wow ur so proud was that like ur only victory in a long time.......answer me one simple question the biggest stage of all THE WORLD CUP......how many has New Zealand won or even how many of the semis and finals has it come into.

Dont forget in 2003 in the last super six match between NzLAnd and India.......Nzland were begging us for to lose becuz we had already made it to the semis but had newzealand lost the match they wudve been out and srilanka wudve made it so cut ur crap!!
8-) There's no need to be like that. Grow up.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Turbinator said:

Nice attempt to shift the goalposts...

And I certainly enjoyed staying up until 4am back in 2000 to watch Cairns lead NZ to a win in the Champions Trophy final over... hang on, I'll have the answer in a minute...

Ah yes, that's right - India.

See what I've done there? I've shifted them again.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
Nice attempt to shift the goalposts...

And I certainly enjoyed staying up until 4am back in 2000 to watch Cairns lead NZ to a win in the Champions Trophy final over... hang on, I'll have the answer in a minute...

Ah yes, that's right - India.

See what I've done there? I've shifted them again.

WOW CHAMPIONS TROPHY are u serious? OMG wut an acheivement...........WOW THE CHAMPIONS TROPHY.....GOOD JOB u guys ROCK way to go!!!!

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
neways i dunt want to really start nething against Nzland becuz i actually do myself like the team..............they wud really be a good team if they start playing more games

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Turbinator said:
WOW CHAMPIONS TROPHY are u serious? OMG wut an acheivement...........WOW THE CHAMPIONS TROPHY.....GOOD JOB u guys ROCK way to go!!!!
It's one more of the ICC Tournaments than India have won in the last 23 years.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voltman said:
Nathan Astle - 222. Enough said.

Scaly just being his usual angry persona.
On a match where NZ lost and the pitch had gone flat and easy to score quickly on (as shown by Thorpe scoring 200* off 231 - Astle would have been on pace to do about the same if he'd batted normally), he was given license to slog and got lucky in a freakish match (not that it's particularly difficult to rattle Hoggard and Caddick and slog them). Presumably you're now going to call Collingwood a star based on his 100 and 6-fer in the same ODI?

If Astle was an exciting star he'd have a lot more appeal in county cricket (did anyone at the other county/counties he played for care that much? I doubt it), instead when he played for Durham I didn't really care - completely different to when someone like Shoaib or Botham played for Durham.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I take it you haven't seen much of Nathan Astle then.

Granted, he's had a fairly poor past 12-18 months which I suppose you're basing your argument on. He's coming towards the end of this career and is likely to retire following the World Cup next year. The loss form was related to his injuries in 2004 I'd say.

He plays one of the best cut shots in the game and has a more than respectable ODI and Test average for our conditions, along with scoring the most hundreds for any New Zealand player in one-day cricket.

Almost all New Zealanders would pick him in our best ever ODI team and would consider him one of our greats.

For our population base and playing numbers we produce more than enough quality cricketers IMO.