• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Lyon

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
IMO, Ashwin is much more threatening than Lyon in favorable conditions while Lyon is slightly better in unfavorable conditions. I don't think Jadeja is on that level.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's pretty remarkable that people like Giles or Panesar (though the latter was probably comparable as an attacking spinner) were picked ahead of Swann for so long. I know his county performances were pretty meh but surely they could see how his bowling was (and as a bonus he could bat and field unlike Monty)
Fletcher hated him for being a tool on his first tour to SA just after taking over as coach. Took a long time to rid the troublemaker image and maybe the KP saga showed he never truly got rid of it.

Daemon

You know CW is in peacetime when you’re hating on TJB’s opinions. Remember when he was the voice of reason in the whole Hadlee debate?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Lyon probably the best offie post-Murali but ATG is definitely a stretch. We've had pretty poor spin bowling stocks in recent years which makes him look a bit better than he is.

ATG offies are guys like Gibbs, Tayfield, Laker, Saqlain etc who were all comfortably better than Lyon.

Not a diss on Lyon, who is quality, but he's a rung below ATG.

trundler

We've had a dearth of openers too. Pretty good fast bowling though and every team has 1 or 2 world class bat. No big name middle orders either.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Laker, Gibbs, Saqlain and Trumble deserve to belong in the conversation of ATG right arm offies.

If we include left handed versions then Herath, Verity, Bedi rank above Lyon off the top of my head.

Might be a name or two I'm missing as well.
You might also consider Prasanna, Tayfield and Ramadhin as right arm offies and Underwood, Rhodes and Shakib as left arm.

trundler

Underwood's effectiveness took a hit because of covered pitches so he'd have to be alongside Lyon, no? A rung or 2 below. Laker and Tayfield impressed in Australia as well as elsewhere. Tayfield never played West Indies, against whom Laker's record is markedly less impressive, however. And that is precisely why spinners will always remain second to fast men — because they're completely nullified by good players of spin. Imagine a world where Malcolm Marshall was hopeless against Border and Gavaskar, instead of the other way around.

Last edited: