• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Lyon

cnerd123

likes this
Laker, Gibbs, Saqlain and Trumble deserve to belong in the conversation of ATG right arm offies.

If we include left handed versions then Herath, Verity, Bedi rank above Lyon off the top of my head.

Might be a name or two I'm missing as well.

Lyon's pretty gun. It's impressive how much he can adapt his bowling speed and release points to match what fits the conditions. He gets a lot of revs on the ball, very accurate, and has a beautiful action. Very simple in his method too, doesn't rely on a lot of tricks and variations, which TBF is probably what holds him back in limited overs cricket a bit.

Should end his career as a finger spinning ATG.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to have seen Lyon tour England, SA and NZ with the likes of early career Lakmal/Pradeep, Kulesakara, Welegedara and Eranga for company tbh

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are you taking ODIs into account as well? If not, Shah should be on that list and not Tahir.
More based on my impressions of them, which is likely confusing the formats. If course Shah should have been slotted in there but I haven't seen enough of him to rate him really.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Home track bully but yes, he's the best since Murali retired.

If you were asking me to rank spinners since the retirement of Murali I'd do it, twice.

In Asia:

Herath
Ashwin
Jadeja
Swann
Lyon
Tahir

Rest of the world:

Lyon
Tahir
Herath
Ashwin
Jadeja
Are you mixing up Shah and Tahir?

Got high hopes for Maharaj, hopefully he’ll be in discussion in another few years.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
More based on my impressions of them, which is likely confusing the formats. If course Shah should have been slotted in there but I haven't seen enough of him to rate him really.
Yeah he had a shocker down under a few years back but has bowled really well just about everywhere else at some point

DriveClub

International Regular
Herath can't do much in away tours to SA, Eng, NZ, Aus etc when the mediocre pacers are getting spanked at 5 an over. I don't think Lyons ever played with such a crap bowling attack. In most cases he will be the worst bowler in the team.

morgieb

I do wonder whether the DRS era makes things a lot easier for finger-spinners. Imagine peak Harbhajan, Vettori, Saqlain in this era, for example.

TheJediBrah

Easily got Swann covered. To have the record that Lyon has in Australia as a finger-spinner in this era is phenomenal.

Hard to compare him to Ashwin and Harbhajan, given that they both play/played most of their cricket in Asian conditions.

Murali wasn't a finger-spinner, he was an elbow spinner.

But pretty sure there have been plenty of better offies throughout history though, but of course always hard to compare between eras

flibbertyjibber

Wouldn't swap Swann for any other regular off spinner but not saying Lyon is no good but until he bowls his side to a win in India then Swann has him covered.

TheJediBrah

Wouldn't swap Swann for any other regular off spinner but not saying Lyon is no good but until he bowls his side to a win in India then Swann has him covered.
Everyone who's seem me post much re. Lyon knows how much I hate him, but even I'm not going to try and claim that Swann was better than him. I don't think it's even particularly close either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, of course.

OverratedSanity

Everyone who's seem me post much re. Lyon knows how much I hate him, but even I'm not going to try and claim that Swann was better than him. I don't think it's even particularly close either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, of course.
Of course. But you have pretty consistently idiotic opinions on cricket.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Murali was a wrist spinner, which is why he never had the success in India that bowlers like Michael Clarke and the like had.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Swann was a better match-winner all-round tbh, Lyon plays the pace battery side-kick role to perfection though

morgieb

It's pretty remarkable that people like Giles or Panesar (though the latter was probably comparable as an attacking spinner) were picked ahead of Swann for so long. I know his county performances were pretty meh but surely they could see how his bowling was (and as a bonus he could bat and field unlike Monty)