• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nasser Hussain

hang on

State Vice-Captain
like the chap but still haven't quite forgiven him for helping get rid off ramps just when he seemed to have got his act together, fina****ingly. unreasonable but hey.

massively coloured by the fact that he had the second best average in the 01 ashes. of course, completely erased the fact that he bombed in the india and new zealand series after that!

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was superb for what we needed at the time, somebody to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and lead by example, he did this well but when we got a better team he lacked the tactical nous to get the best of them. Stepped aside at the perfect time as a captain and as a player so it showed what a brilliant team man he was however grumpy he may have looked at times.

For the record Vaughan was a better captain but he had a better team.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I call him poor man's Allan Border in every possible way still massive respect a real nuggety character.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw Nasser Hussain yesterday, was at his absolute sarcastic best. He was signing autographs and signed one for a lady with a 3/4-year-old boy. He made some remark that the boy was very quiet as he'd gone all shy. The lady replied that actually the boy was completely awestruck meeting him, and Nasser went for a dry look and a "Yes, I'm sure" and then turned away and signed another.

Maybe you just had to be there, but it was really funny and classic Nasser. :laugh:

Woodster

International Captain
I'm a massive fan of Nasser Hussain the captain, the commentator, the batsman, and also (which has been overlooked so far) the fielder.

As captain he was the ideal man to lead England at a time when they were a poor Test side. We had a some talented guys but they needed a man with the drive, the passion, someone not afraid to tell them when they were playing rubbish and letting themselves down. He was a man clearly very proud to captain England and was the sort of man that wore his heart on his sleeve. Michael Vaughan in terms of temperament was the polar opposite, and he took the team on further, I don't believe Nasser was found wanting in terms of cricketing 'nous' when he had better side at all, it was the right time for someone to take the side on, they got it spot on with Vaughan. Nasser was the perfect man to lead England at the time he took over and did an outstanding job.

As a batsman you could tell on occasions he was so determined to succeed and score runs it did hinder his natural game to a degree. He had the shots, was an excellent driver of the ball and could pull or cut effectively too. Was susceptible to getting squared too often, but I enjoyed watching him play. Never shied away from a challenge, loved his passion.

His commentary and analysis on the game is always insightful, he's able to laugh at himself (mainly for his reluctance to get his hand in his pocket) and join in with the light-hearted moments.

When he fielded at backward point in his earlier days and during numerous ODI's he was electric. Probably not quite in the Collingwood class, but he was quick over the ground and accurate when throwing the stumps down. Took some breathtaking catches in that position.

An all round top man imo.

howardj

International Coach
I enjoy Nasser's commentary - makes a real effort to be analytical and informative. Doesn't just go through the motions like Bill, Tony etc etc

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh? There sounds like there's some beans crying to be spilled there...
Was picked up by AUCC for most of a season and apparently took 'all reasonable expenses paid' to mean 'I can rack up a few grand in speeding/parking fines and be covered'. Threatened legal action when AU balked. Worse, did SFA with the bat.

Last edited:

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Was picked up by AUCC for most of a season and apparently took 'all reasonable expenses paid' to mean 'I can rack up a few grand in speeding/parking fines and be covered'. Threatened legal action when AU balked. Worse, did SFA with the bat.
Mal Loye did the same thing at our club back in the late 90's. Scored **** all runs and was a **** coach to match.

Daryl Harper

School Boy/Girl Captain
He's turned into a bloody good commentator as well..
Nope, terrible jobs for the boys appointment. He actually has no ability for it whatsoever.

I cringe each time I hear him use a "scrambled brain" in every sentance he drones out. He's embarrassing to listen to.

Whatever happened to proper skilled commentators?