• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muttiah Muralitharan vs Sachin Tendulkar

The better cricketer

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Muttaih Muralitharan

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Would rank them equally

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
But Tendy's remarkable aspect is his consistency spread over 24 years. Is there any other great player who has played for 24 years?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voted Tendulkar because I find the fact that he, at some point did well against virtually every great bowler he faced during his career. Name any great 90s era bowler, odds on he scored atleast one good hundred against them. He's the most versatile player I've seen.He was capable of tearing into the attack and go on a burst of quick scoring. 155 against Warne and the hundred against SA at Bloemfentein also incidentally 155, (in which he scored 8 fours in 15 balls IIRC at one point). He could also buckle down like Gavaskar and Dravid in tough situations and see out the best bowlers. Pacy, seaming, swinging, spinning conditions, he's done well across all possible conditions. That's the reason I'd pit him slightly above Murali, the fact that he was never consistently found out by any opponent he faced ( bar Anderson :ph34r:). Murali did have his problems against Australia, Lara, Sehwag, Sidhu, Azharuddin and indeed, Tendulkar himself. Then of course there's the longevity. He spans era like ko other cricketer and apart from a few bad years at the end, which happens to everyone, he played at a world class level in a manner that was exciting, beautiful and virtually flawless in terms of aesthetics for 20+ years

Personally think he's the best Indian cricketer and batsman ahead of Gavaskar and Dravid by a considerable distance. That would probably be a better topic to discuss right now... Greatest indian batsman/cricketer

OverratedSanity

I was kidding... It's sad that most threads seem to devolve into fabricating faults in achievements of great players, and passing off personal opinion as facts instead of balanced discussions

Howe_zat

Audio File
Minor digression: When will we next see the leading Test wicket taker bowl to the leading Test run scorer?

Will we ever?

OverratedSanity

It is not like there is daylight between Gavaskar and Tendulkar tbf
Personally think there's a sizeable gap in favor of Tendulkar. If "daylight" is the gap between the 2nd tier of batsmen (after the Don) and the tier below that, then yes, there's daylight between them imo. Tendulkar achieved and was capable of everything Gavaskar did and quite a bit more

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yeah, Murali is unarguably the greatest cricketer to come from SL, while Sachin has reasonable competition from Gavaskar
Out of curiosity, why does that affect who is greater though? You can use that to say Andy Flower > Tendulkar and Lara.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Because you can only be a product of the system that made you I guess, whether or not that affects greatness I don't know

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because you can only be a product of the system that made you I guess, whether or not that affects greatness I don't know
Then how did the system of Sri Lankan cricket make Murali?

Happy to say "Tendulkar had Dravid, Murali didn't have an equivalent bowler", but to say "Tendulkar had Gavaskar" is odd. May as well say "Ponting had Bradman, so I rate X player better"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Out of curiosity, why does that affect who is greater though? You can use that to say Andy Flower > Tendulkar and Lara.
You're being generous to the argument by using Flower as an example. You could use Shakib Allison. Or Bart KIng. Or Michael di Venuto.