• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muralitharan big spin

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
OK few more clips. This is the off spinning version of Basit Ali dismissal. Actually, Basit Ali dismissal was the elgspinning version of McMillian one, because this happened five years earlier.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
OK few more clips. This is the off spinning version of Basit Ali dismissal. Actually, Basit Ali dismissal was the elgspinning version of McMillian one, because this happened five years earlier.

Nutmegged or it actually went past his back foot and hit the stumps? Not very clear, maybe poor internet my side.

And I miss that color of helmet cap and jerseys for Sri Lanka.. Way too many blues going around now.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nutmegged or it actually went past his back foot and hit the stumps? Not very clear, maybe poor internet my side.

And I miss that color of helmet cap and jerseys for Sri Lanka.. Way too many blues going around now.
It Went through his legs.Unlike Basit Ali's, those are legs of some proportion.

smash84

The Tiger King

Lol, how thin is murali in this video.

Would give Upul Chandana a run for his money.

Aaron510

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
unplayable!!

Unpopular opinion here

Murali was the best spin bowler in the history of the game.

He bowled more unplayable deliveries than warne.. in fact at his peak he was the hardest to play.

Shady Slim

International Coach
interestingly enough in his autobiography warne has kumble as his first choice spinner in his world xi against whom he played (though does have murali as his backup spinner with no second thought); must be the leggie connection

a massive zebra

International Captain
unplayable!!

Unpopular opinion here

Murali was the best spin bowler in the history of the game.

He bowled more unplayable deliveries than warne.. in fact at his peak he was the hardest to play.
I don't think that is an unpopular opinion here. In mr_mister's thread where we all voted for the best spinners ever, I believe Murali got more #1 votes than any other bowler.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Murali at his best could make the ball quiver in the air and snap off the pitch like no other spinner I've seen. Can't imagine the amount of work (in terms of revs, body, etc) he put on the ball to make it talk like that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Remember those videos of him bowling with the brace and then hitting a coin on top of off any which time he wanted to. Amazing amazing skills. Just in terms of skills, I don't think I have seen a better spinner.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

That's the worst duck animation I've ever seen.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
interestingly enough in his autobiography warne has kumble as his first choice spinner in his world xi against whom he played (though does have murali as his backup spinner with no second thought); must be the leggie connection
Makes sense. Because Kumble on Indian wickets have given Aussies night mares, than Murali ever did.

At the peak (for that particular spell) I think Chandra, Kumble, Underwood and Warnaweera were devilish and nightmarish. All delivered it around 95k, and could get up to 110k. Chandra and Kumble produced bounce while Underwood and Warnaweera produced turn off 110k deliveries. Going little back, Jasubhai Patel and O'Riely also would have been in similar bracket, when they got going, would have been the most difficult bowlers to play.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Here are some more old footage. This is very interesting and covers some of the things we have been discussing other than Murali.

1. This match shows Hashan Tillekaratne equalling the world record for non keeper catches. It's not difficult to understand why he is likened to Solkar when it comes to short fielding.
2. This show cases Jayananda Warnaweera. His bowling action is not the most orthodox, some jerky deliveries, some absolutely clean ones, but one thing is apparent, the way the ball explodes off the pitch is scary.
3. A sublime, nearly run al ball innings century by Martin Crowe.
4. The fiery pace of Duleep Liyanage even beating Mike Owens for pace. It was really unlucky that he had a freak accident, and had to retire. Considering Vaas debuted in 1994, a year later, SL would have had a potent new ball attack, with Pushpakumara also emerging in 1994.
5. Asanka Gurusinha bowling. Ungly, ungainly bowling action, but he does produce some sharp deliveries. Once again, a better fitness culture would have allowed us to see a batting all rounder out of him.

Last edited: