• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali Karthik

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Why is this lad not playing test cricket ?

I've been watching him in the TVS cup and he has looked easily the most impressive spinner in all 3 sides.
Karthik also has a good record on A team tours with India - most notably in SOuth Africa in March 2002 where he picked 10 wickets in 2 tests.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon he's better than Harbhajan....so what if Harbhajan has a good bowling average?...he averages 21 at home mainly because up until this year India were bowling on rank turners and 35 overseas.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would not drop Harbhajan though. I would play Kartik and Habrhajan and drop Kumble from the Tests. Kartik is also a useful batsman.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Karthik's is one career which has been spoiled by Saurav Ganguly so far.....

amits

Banned
yes, murali kartik is a good spinner and the 2nd best left-arm spinner currently after daniel vettori. (if he gets chances, kartik would surely be the best)

kartik should make it into the aus tour ahead of kumble and kartik is a useful batsman as well.

Cloete

International Captain
amits said:
yes, murali kartik is a good spinner and the 2nd best left-arm spinner currently after daniel vettori.
you must mean left-arm orthodox spinner? ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why not, he's on form, and stacks up very well in comparison to Vettori in Tests.

147 @ 35 in 48 matches compared with 61 @ 37.95 in 16.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Price's recent figures (maybe Zimbabwean wickets this season have been turners?) have been fantastic.
Regarding Kartik, what's so special about him compared to Harbhajan and Kumble? They're none that good away from subcontinental conditions, even if they're all a bit better than any other spinners going around in India ATM.
If Kartik goes to Australia, I expect him to be hammered like Harbhajan, Nehra and Khan and anyone else.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd still take Vettori over Price. Vettori was a class apart in the Tests in India and while Price has shown a lot of ability of late, I think it's too early to rank him alongside the bespectacled Kiwi.

:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I'd still take Vettori over Price. Vettori was a class apart in the Tests in India and while Price has shown a lot of ability of late, I think it's too early to rank him alongside the bespectacled Kiwi.

:)
As an Englishman, I would take either (far better than any of our spin options at present).

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Richard

Richard,

Your comments on Murali Karthik are quite ignorant.

Karthik picked up ten wickets for India A in two tests against South Africa in Australian-like conditions on the high veldt.

A Team cricket is not test cricket but it is the closest thing there is to test cricket -- on the basis of that performance, it would seem that the very least Karthik deserves is a chance to prove himself on a test tour with India. Both Anil Kumble and Harbhajan have done practically nothing in South Africa either in warm up games or tests.
Karthik seems to be in much better form currently than eiether Harbhajan or Anil Kumble.
So his omission from the Indian squad to tour Australia is quite frankly ridiculous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Richard

jamesryfler said:
Richard,

Your comments on Murali Karthik are quite ignorant.

Karthik picked up ten wickets for India A in two tests against South Africa in Australian-like conditions on the high veldt.

A Team cricket is not test cricket but it is the closest thing there is to test cricket -- on the basis of that performance, it would seem that the very least Karthik deserves is a chance to prove himself on a test tour with India. Both Anil Kumble and Harbhajan have done practically nothing in South Africa either in warm up games or tests.
Karthik seems to be in much better form currently than eiether Harbhajan or Anil Kumble.
So his omission from the Indian squad to tour Australia is quite frankly ridiculous.
No, I am perfectly aware of Kartik's South African figures. I even read the reports. None of the wickets were due to good bowling. Not a single one. Two Tests isn't a reliable indication. And Kartik was far from impressive against mostly second-string counties.
His omission from the Australian Test party is, however, regrettable for me as it would probably have dispelled the belief that he's anything out of the ordinary.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Only a bit better than Croft for me.
With Croft called up to Sri Lanka, we'll have our chance to at least compare him with Giles (!) and Batty (in defence of whom I'll say hasn't done much wrong yet)

Craig

World Traveller
Seeing Ponting's love of Kuratik's bowling at Bangalore, I'm sure Ponting is disappionted he isnt coming to Australia.

Note check the last couple of overs Kuratik bowled to Ponting at Bangalore.