• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali Karthik

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I am not convinced. I think if he played test cricket, he would have a Giles-like strike rate of 100+. Accurate, but not much else

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
halsey said:
I am not convinced. I think if he played test cricket, he would have a Giles-like strike rate of 100+. Accurate, but not much else
No, he was accurate, but he was also flighting the ball and was quite attacking. So, it is a premature judgement to pass on a player who has been denied his fair chance again and again and has almost always done a good job with the few chances he got.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
FC Strike rate=67.5. What what will it be when he plays infinitely better opposition? I repeat, a Giles-like 100+

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
halsey said:
FC Strike rate=67.5. What what will it be when he plays infinitely better opposition? I repeat, a Giles-like 100+
When you say infinitely better opposition, you are forgetting one thing....as far as spin bowling goes, Indian batsmen, whether at first class or test level are quality opposition.....it is their staple diet, so to speak....so, for all you know, his strike rate might actually change for the better in test cricket. What I just said is admittedly speculation, just like your statement....the fact is that whenever he has been given a chance....he has performed decently for India.....it would only be fair to give him a chance in tests...if he is found wanting, well and good....he should be thrown out....it's not as if the Indian team is packed to the brim with great spinners and there is no room for him or something...but he has earned that call and it's still not happening for him, that is the injustice in the whole thing....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yes, but away he wouldn't be playing on turners like in India...I repeat, his strike rate will be a Giles-like 100+

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
He isint as bad as giles.. in karthik run up and delivery he comes from around the wicket in between the umpire.. ive noticed when most people use this line of attack the bowl mostly pitches near the middle or slightly towards leg where most Left armers would want it..
And thats why karthik doesnt always stray of his line..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
halsey said:
Yes, but away he wouldn't be playing on turners like in India...I repeat, his strike rate will be a Giles-like 100+
...but, he would be playing a lot more batsmen who are more susceptible to spin bowling than Indians...and if he is in tests, he will be bowling in India as well as abroad....good spinners will bowl well everywhere.....just because Harb and Kumble are tigers at home and lambs abroad doesn't necessarily mean that all Indian spinners are/have been always like that.....I repeat, what you are asserting as an absolute statement is not even extrapolation, it's mere speculation....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Murali Kartik's test match record:

Home Ave: 33.38 SR: 91.50 E/R: 2.19
Away Ave: 42.00 SR: 153.00 E/R: 1.65
Overall Ave: 34.33 SR: 98.33 E/R: 2.09

Not a good start...

Last edited:

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yea mate thats about 2 years back where he was only given the chance to play 4 tests.

Karthik has matured a lot after that and has been bowling really well of late.. and im sure he would be successful..

Tom Halsey

International Coach
5 of his 9 wickets are tailenders...2 of his 4 tests were against Zim and Bangladesh...the 2 worst teams in history...and still his SR is worse than Giles...He keepse runs down, but thats it...even in FC his SR is 67.5...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
anilramavarma said:
No, he was accurate, but he was also flighting the ball and was quite attacking. So, it is a premature judgement to pass on a player who has been denied his fair chance again and again and has almost always done a good job with the few chances he got.
What, like losing The First Test almost single-handed in 2000\01 against South Africa?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
5 of his 9 wickets are tailenders...2 of his 4 tests were against Zim and Bangladesh...the 2 worst teams in history...and still his SR is worse than Giles...He keepse runs down, but thats it...even in FC his SR is 67.5...
you are lost my friend

karthik is better than giles.. on a scale of 1-10 , 10 being good karthik is probably 7 from what ive seen all this time.. and giles is probably 4

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
yea mate thats about 2 years back where he was only given the chance to play 4 tests.

Karthik has matured a lot after that and has been bowling really well of late.. and im sure he would be successful..
I suppose it would be tactless to mention his figures when he bowled against South Africa in July: 29-5-120-1. Or that in the other three matches he played on the tour, the only side he gave any trouble to was a Durham line-up missing their star batsmen, or at least what pass for star batsmen in the Chester-le-Street area.

He has all the hallmarks of the classic Indian spinner, pretty good at home, innocuous cannon fodder abroad.

Had he gone to Australia, he'd have gone home as Murali Karted.

Cheers,

Mike

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with Vettori is that he is not an attacking spinner, he usually bowls defensively because our pace bowlers get smacked around.

Now that we're getting a few decent quicks, he might be able to work on those poor averages...but it is also up to Fleming, he seems to prefer Vettori to just create pressure from one end.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But I don't expect Vettori to ever get fantastic averages because here in NZ he will never really get the chance to bowl often enough & conditions just don't suit the spinners unless you're world-class like Warne or Murali and can weave your magic anywhere.

Its not coincidence that Kumble & Harbhajan have great home averages and extremely poor overseas averages...if India continue to produce pitches like the ones in the recent test series v NZ then I can see that changing.

I think Vettori is a bloody good spinner because he's basically relying on guile & variation out of the hand than anything off the pitch..making him useful in all conditions. But as I said earlier, he's unlikely to take a truckload of wickets at this stage anyway because Fleming prefers to use him as a defensive option.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
\
He has all the hallmarks of the classic Indian spinner, pretty good at home, innocuous cannon fodder abroad.
thats the difference most people expect him to be that since he is from the sub continent .. and my opinion is unbiased being from new zealand..
I feel he is a totally different bowler now.. and its not like he was spinning it for miles in india..
Im a spinner aswell .. and going to different pitches to play doesnt change the basic of spin set in my mind.. the right grip .. flight and a lot of thinking..
And i reckon karthik has done that a lot of late and he has matured from what he was.. Some might call harbajan a one hit wonder as he isint doing much of late.. but every bowler has their good and bad times aswell..
And as long as you can get things right then you will be on a roll..things went right for him in the aus tour to india..morale goes up..and you do really well.. that reality..