• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mundane or marvelous player sightings

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I once had a slash next to Bob Willis at The Oval (we were both in the public lavs at the time). I told him I'd always been impressed with his length.*

& I saw Glen McGrath, resplendent in a blue suit striding past purposefully, whilst I was waiting outside the cricket museum at Edgbaston just before play began on the first day of the first test. I didn't feel the need to point out he was Glen McGrath to him as he was almost certainly aware of it.
was he inspecting the ball he slipped on in 2005?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Glenn McGrath in a Bunnings car park, as a kid around the time he was out with a serious back injury. Still being in the hero-worship-but-famous-people-are-scary age bracket, I hid behind a parked car when my parents suggested I should go up and say hi.

And I walked past John Howard while leaving the office a few months back.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Spotted late 80s-early 90s NZ seamer Willie Watson at the Wellington airport domestic departure lounge a few months back. It was like travelling in the highlights (obscure Willie reference).

Saw Nathan McCullum in Arrowtown last month. Stopped and had a chat.

ajdude

International Coach
billy stanlake in some fisherman bar/pub thing in queensland around this time last year. **** he’s a tall **** ay

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
In the 1990s I worked in the hotel in Leeds used by all the touring sides and the media for Headingley. I know not exactly in the spirit of the thread but have met many of the greats of the era in that context.

thierry henry

International Coach
I've seen dozens and already reported back to CW with height estimates for most of them

Seeing NZ players out and about, or players currently touring NZ, is hardly surprising. Probably the most surprising recent sightings would be:

- Rahul Dravid walked past me in Auckland CBD a year or so ago. I was baffled and it took me a while to work out that he must have been there because India A were touring NZ.

- I've seen Ben Stokes twice in Auckland, once in 2018 when England weren't touring. He was with his wife and I think he must have stayed on for a holiday after their 2017/18 tour, but it was surprising since he isn't from Auckland.

The other time (which must have been while the 17/18 tour was still going on), him and Tom Curran were sitting on some benches on the street outside my office. My intention was drawn to them because they were a couple of guys dressed like douchebag-***-chavs sitting in an area which is generally completely occupied by homeless people. I was slightly concerned for these clearly out of place guys, and then realised it was Stokes and Curran.

Santner and Neesham were out hitting the bars in Auckland last Saturday night before the deciding T20 on Sunday. I can't say they were doing anything wrong though as I didn't even see them with a drink.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Another Jesse Ryder pub sighting here. He was doing shots at around 11am, about two days after telling the media he had given booze the heave-ho. I found that immensely sad.

An odd one was seeing Mike Atherton looking like a startled stork outside a hotel in central Wellington wearing t-shirt, shorts, socks and sandals on a freezing spring afternoon. He looked horribly jet-lagged, and I suspect he had just woken up.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've seen dozens and already reported back to CW with height estimates for most of them

Seeing NZ players out and about, or players currently touring NZ, is hardly surprising. Probably the most surprising recent sightings would be:

- Rahul Dravid walked past me in Auckland CBD a year or so ago. I was baffled and it took me a while to work out that he must have been there because India A were touring NZ.

- I've seen Ben Stokes twice in Auckland, once in 2018 when England weren't touring. He was with his wife and I think he must have stayed on for a holiday after their 2017/18 tour, but it was surprising since he isn't from Auckland.

The other time (which must have been while the 17/18 tour was still going on), him and Tom Curran were sitting on some benches on the street outside my office. My intention was drawn to them because they were a couple of guys dressed like douchebag-***-chavs sitting in an area which is generally completely occupied by homeless people. I was slightly concerned for these clearly out of place guys, and then realised it was Stokes and Curran.

Santner and Neesham were out hitting the bars in Auckland last Saturday night before the deciding T20 on Sunday. I can't say they were doing anything wrong though as I didn't even see them with a drink.
Doing God's work

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was on the same flight as the Wellington Firebirds this weekend. Have to admit I didn't recognise many of them.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Saw Luke Woodcock walking into Chaffer’s New World two weeks ago. He appeared to be in quite a hurry.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw Luke Woodcock walking into Chaffer’s New World two weeks ago. He appeared to be in quite a hurry.
This is exactly the sort of gold I started this thread for.

Another favourite memory of mine was seeing an NZ international (who still is) hiding behind a Chinese takeaway near the Shoreline Motel (where they generally stay) scoffing won tons or some similarly poor food during a Test match.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is exactly the sort of gold I started this thread for.

Another favourite memory of mine was seeing an NZ international (who still is) hiding behind a Chinese takeaway near the Shoreline Motel (where they generally stay) scoffing won tons or some similarly poor food during a Test match.
Kane's shameful secret.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So I just played 2 T10 games. Chandimal and Zaheer were on my team. Played against Pathan, Abdur Razzak and Dilshan.

I’ll put up some pictures on insta for the handful who follow me.

Super stoked right now :D

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
you said they're still playing, so you could have just said you saw ross and guppy smashing some won tons
Correct. Was Ross celebrating his first innings ton? Or was Gup wallowing in his lack of runs? Both capable of putting away junk food