• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mundane or marvelous player sightings

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I live across the road from the hotel that NZ usually stays at when they play in Wellington, so I've seen loads of NZ players over the years. The highlight of the lot was probably a couple of years ago when I had dinner at the Boulcott St Bistro, and KW, Trenty, Matt Henry, Mitch Santner and Mike Hesson sat down at the table next to me. Kinda regret not asking for a photo, but it's a nice restaurant and I wanted to let them enjoy their evening without having to deal with my hyperventilating.

Also living in Wellington, pretty much all my mates have bumped into Jesse Ryder while out on the town at one point or another. A few nights after Ryder slashed his hand open while breaking into a pub toilet (and a subsequent public conference where he said he needed to get his drinking under control) one of my work colleagues saw him downing shots with his arm in a sling. Another mate had a chirp at him in a club, which prompted Ryder to try and start a fight. Fortunately for my friend, J-Dawg was too wasted to walk in a straight line by that point, and before things could get out of hand his Wellington team mate Harry Boam (who now works in my office) intervened and led him off to a cab home.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
2 weeks ago took my child to first ever Saturday morning cricket game. Ex-blackcap there with child in same team. Don't want to drop names though, sorry.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've told my Doug Walters story, gets more depressing with every month as he hurtles towards death.
What's your Doug Walter's story? I had lunch and a beer with him a few years ago, absolute champion...and I've literally never seen anyone smoke as much in my life. An hour and a half of non stop durries

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
im not sure what it says that one of the better nz commentators hates cricket
He doesn't. He's actually very articulate about it because he cares so much. He's just not a people person, or at least not a no-name people person.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So I just played 2 T10 games. Chandimal and Zaheer were on my team. Played against Pathan, Abdur Razzak and Dilshan.

I’ll put up some pictures on insta for the handful who follow me.

Super stoked right now :D
So update

Zak was chill and respectful, especially for someone who was playing in Dubai just a night ago. Obviously cbf to be there, but you can’t fault him for that. He bowled pretty well but didn’t pick up any wickets. Got smoked for a big six by one of our U19s.

Chandimal was the best player on show, probably because he’s one of the few still playing top level international cricket. A few levels above the other stars there. He was a nice dude and pretty friendly.

Dilshan was cool af. Walked around taking pictures with everyone and played a few dilscoops.

Razzak bowled well. Very quiet and reserved man.

Ashraful batted like a noob.

Pathan was being a lazy dick and didn’t bowl pace but otherwise seemed friendly. Dude is ****ing jacked now.

Bhajji was a star. Super friendly and funny, bowled and batted properly like he was actually trying.

There was a dinner conversation thing at night where Dravid was a panelist which was great because it’s Dravid ffs. What ruined it a bit was Boria Mujumdar asking very India centric questions and completely ignoring the Lankans and Deshis in the midst. Dickhead.

All in all probably the best day of my life.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I saw John Emburey getting petrol at a motorway service station near Reading in 1986. Sadly nothing to embellish this with, but it does say “mundane” in the thread title.