• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MS Dhoni Retirement + Tribute Thread

indiaholic

International Captain
I was not on this forum so can't prove but I did. He just seemed to be calm and in control more than other younger lot at the time. Of course I couldn't have predicted that he will win 3 icc tournaments but thought he had potential in him.
Haha I was not being too serious. I just remember it being a decision that came out of the blue. Perfect ****ing choice though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yuvi , MSD and Raina, what a glorious middle order it was in ODIs, it's unfortunate that all three of them fell off their highs for different reasons but when it was at it's peak no total was beyond reach. We'd be lucky to get anything resembling that middle order in the next whatever years I think.
Big factor why we won world cup in 2011. Each of them played 1 critical innings in one knock game each.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The man was a pure winner, a cold-blooded assassin at his peak and a freak especially in Indian cricket. The country owes a lot of its recent cricketing successes to the culture he inculcated in the team both with his personal approach to the game as well as his unorthodox leadership style. A fantastic player, a national treasure like Tendulkar and from all accounts a genuinely good human being! Wishing him a healthy and happy rest of his life!

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Coolest cat in cricket for my money. Broke the mould of Indian cricketers in the sense that he was never given to exaggerated expression on or off the field of play. People from our part are an emotional lot and can be excessive in how they carry on. Dhoni was cut from a different cloth though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Honestly this just makes me feel old. When I joined CW Dhoni was the next big thing. Maybe it was after I joined. But he was this exciting floppy haired geezer who played shots.

He's had his critics over the years but you can't really question his career. A great cricketer and a memorable one too.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great keeper too, especially up to the stumps. Looked a bit self-taught and had some interesting techniques.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw Dhoni's retirement announcement post. The choice of the song so touched me. Wow! I want to be MS Dhoni in next life.

http://instagr.am/p/CD6ZQn1lGBi/
I can't get over this. I have been watching it again and again. Choice of footage to go with lyrics – so classy. Greatest retirement announcement in the history is retirement announcements.

For those who don't know Hindi, here's the translation of the song Dhoni used in that montage: https://www.filmyquotes.com/songs/1256

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
During his best years, which were in the 2000s (that is so long ago now) he was certainly one of my favourite batsmen to watch. As a keeper he was pretty good but not really spectacular or as good as the keepers I grew up watching (Latif and Healz). However, this retirement and the last few years of his career were nothing more than a vanity project. I think that really lets him down as does his dodgy dealings within the IPL. I really soured on him in those dark years and I just could never think of him as that bright eyed, long haired knights of the mid to late 00s.