• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MP Vaughan versus Sehwag ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can understand why ppl have a problem rating the likes of Sehwag and Hayden as "real" openers and to be completely honest, against an all time bowling side on a difficult track even I would want better openers than them.. But to say someone like Vaughan is better than Sehwag and Hayden is just silly, AFAIC.
Vaughan certainly isn't a better opener than Sehwag - the question is "is Vaughan a better middle-order batsman than Sehwag is opener?", to which I find the answer "possibly, yes". However, I also find any question of that ilk a rather unfair and pointless one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Though Vaughan on song is simply delicious to watch, Sehwag overall would be a shoo-in to in any World XI today. He can cripple any attack in the mood
Not an attack that cripples him first, which I'm very sure any particularly good seam-attack with a new-ball will.
and has scored runs on non friendly pitches as well.
Since he's been opening, I can think of Trent Bridge 2002, and not much else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just to make sure that you are getting the right stats (as opposed, pick-and-choose-stats-that-suit-my-argument kind of stats) . It is just so amazing how people pick/ignore certain stats if that suits their point.
More accurately, people can look at certain stats and form their ideas because of that. To think it works the other way around is ignorant, plain and simple.
Vaughan's overall record looks respectable only because of his performance as an opener. If one takes out his opening stats, his sverage sinks to < 40. And here people are trying to filter his performance since 2007 as an opener as if he has not excelled there throughout his career. Vaughan's 10 (out of 18) 100s , 9 50s (out of 18) have come as an opener. More than half of his runs have come as an opener.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...span;template=results;type=batting;view=match

Vaughan averages 41.69 since Jan 2007 with 3 100s and 4 50s.
Ian Bell Averages 39.70 during the same period.
Sehwag - 63.81 During that period

Sehwag As an Opener - 53.42
Vaughan as a Middle Order Batsman - 34.30, 45.48 as an opener, 45.43 @ 3.
Bell as a Middle order Batsman - 47.13
If one is to look sensibly at the matter rather than being simplistic and looking only at basic averages, they'll see very clearly why Vaughan is a better middle-order batsman than opener.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can understand why ppl have a problem rating the likes of Sehwag and Hayden as "real" openers and to be completely honest, against an all time bowling side on a difficult track even I would want better openers than them..
I think you're right HBH, but truth be told, if you have an all tiime pace attack on a difficult wicket, then you'll be talking about guys like Hayden & Sehwag maybe failing for 10-20, and those who we may view as better probably only getting 25-30 anyways.

I realise your point is largely a hypothetical one, but if you put say Marshall, McGrath, Akram and Barnes/ Ambrose/ Lillee/ anyone else who factors into discussions, really who will score heavily on a difficult track? They'd get 'em out sooner rather than later imo.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
At their respective best in test matches i'd have Sehwag on a flat deck & Vaughan againts top-quality bowling in testing conditions.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think you're right HBH, but truth be told, if you have an all tiime pace attack on a difficult wicket, then you'll be talking about guys like Hayden & Sehwag maybe failing for 10-20, and those who we may view as better probably only getting 25-30 anyways.

I realise your point is largely a hypothetical one, but if you put say Marshall, McGrath, Akram and Barnes/ Ambrose/ Lillee/ anyone else who factors into discussions, really who will score heavily on a difficult track? They'd get 'em out sooner rather than later imo.
I know that but maybe a combo of Boycott and Gavaskar could see out a couple of hours setting the stage for Bradman/Lara/Sachin/Sobers. It is not just about the 25-30 extra runs... It is the time that we will get. Hayden and Sehwag may give you 30/2 in the first 45 mins but Gavaskar and Boycott may give you 60/2 after 2 or 2 and a half hours. At least the shine won't be there on the new ball anymore after that.

Anyways, as you said, this is just hypothetical and I won't mind if you gave Hayden and Sehwag instead of Gavaskar and Boycott at all.. But just pointing out how their respective styles might play out in difficult conditions against great bowlers..

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
:laugh: . Richard i have no intention to cause any controversy since you no we dawgs yo, but don't you think after all these years stating opinions such as:

- Vaas is better than McGrath
- Criminally over-rating the likes of Atherton, Hussain, Hick etc
- Your First chance average theory
- Criminally under-rating Hayden (although you are not alone)

That have been ridiculed continously on CW overitme, that even if you strongly believe them maybe you should just not state them in your arguments?. Since IMO at least it leaves a big black spot on your overall contribution as a poster which has been extremely good.

Burgey

I know that but maybe a combo of Boycott and Gavaskar could see out a couple of hours setting the stage for Bradman/Lara/Sachin/Sobers. It is not just about the 25-30 extra runs... It is the time that we will get. Hayden and Sehwag may give you 30/2 in the first 45 mins but Gavaskar and Boycott may give you 60/2 after 2 or 2 and a half hours. At least the shine won't be there on the new ball anymore after that.

Anyways, as you said, this is just hypothetical and I won't mind if you gave Hayden and Sehwag instead of Gavaskar and Boycott at all.. But just pointing out how their respective styles might play out in difficult conditions against great bowlers..
Got no probs accepting they'd be a lot more patient, which I suppose would help the team.

I'd have the two you mentioned over Hayden & Sehwag, but that's just my preference. By contrast, if we're playing on a flat deck I'd take one of Hayden/ Sehwag with one of Boycs/ Gavaskar

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: . Richard i have no intention to cause any controversy since you no we dawgs yo, but don't you think after all these years stating opinions such as:

- Vaas is better than McGrath
- Criminally over-rating the likes of Atherton, Hussain, Hick etc
- Your First chance average theory
- Criminally under-rating Hayden (although you are not alone)

That have been ridiculed continously on CW overitme, that even if you strongly believe them maybe you should just not state them in your arguments?. Since IMO at least it leaves a big black spot on your overall contribution as a poster which has been extremely good.
I've actually said nothing of the sorts in any of the three cases relating to players.

First-chance scores have only ever been attempted to be ridiculed in parts, a good few people think the idea has merit.

Top_Cat

I've actually said nothing of the sorts in any of the three cases relating to players.

First-chance scores have only ever been attempted to be ridiculed in parts, a good few people think the idea has merit.
As far as criticism of the idea goes, don't take absence of proof as proof of absence. ;)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Very few people actually think they have any merit in the way you try to use them, though.

In theory, I think they'd be quite telling, but the fact is we don't actually have anyone's FCAs. The lack of data makes the system decent in theory but useless in practice. It'd be possible to calculate for some of the more modern players but no-one has even done that other than the odd player here and there and it'd be impossible to do so for the batsmen of years gone by. For example, it's possible that Bradman got dropped on 4 every time he made it to that score but we don't actually know either way. Even if you calculated it for selected players (as you have at certain times) we don't know which conclusions to draw from your findings. What is a good First Chance average? Collingwood may only average 32 at Test level, but that might be a perfectly good average if you calculated it for every single batsman.

Does it have merit? Absolutely. Practical application? Absolutely not. It means nothing until we have more data on it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very few people actually think they have any merit in the way you try to use them, though.
I know. The point is, those who try to ridicule the idea aren't as large in number as those who number amongst them would like to think.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know. The point is, those who try to ridicule the idea aren't as large in number as those who number amongst them would like to think.
If they used your criteria, I couldnt think of any remotely logical cricket follower that would support it

Firstly, many of the greatest innings in history have been punctuated by a dropped catch yet many batsmen play like an absolute dog and score runs without getting dropped - under your method, we're supposed to rate the latter higher

Secondly, you exclude difficult catches

Thirdly, a play and miss is actually far worse shot than a dropped edge - at least the latter achieved the objective of hitting the ball

Fourthly, I can no longer be bothered

All in all, it's nonsense

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If they used your criteria, I couldnt think of any remotely logical cricket follower that would support it
There's plenty already, and it's almost exclusively people on CW who've even been exposed to the idea.
Firstly, many of the greatest innings in history have been punctuated by a dropped catch yet many batsmen play like an absolute dog and score runs without getting dropped - under your method, we're supposed to rate the latter higher
Nope, apart from the fact both things you say there are totally exaggerated.
Secondly, you exclude difficult catches
Nope, I exclude things that are wrongly called "chances", which were in reality not remotely catchable. Difficult catches are still catchable, though, so they all count.
Thirdly, a play and miss is actually far worse shot than a dropped edge - at least the latter achieved the objective of hitting the ball
So? A play-and-miss can never result in a wicket (barring an awful Umpiring decision), a catch being given mostly does.
Fourthly, I can no longer be bothered
Your lack of being bothered has nothing to do with me.
All in all, it's nonsense
Nah, it's not.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
There's plenty already, and it's almost exclusively people on CW who've even been exposed to the idea.
Which is easily one of the most (if not the most) knowledgeable cricketening discussion circles you are likely to find anywhere in the world in sure. So if its rediculed here surely that would be enough to convince you otherwise. Rich would you be brave enough to argue this theory with Ian Chappell or Richie Benaud?

I remembering arging this with you a while back when you were stating Ponting of what was it 2001 Ashes to IND 03/04 was better than Ponting of PAK 05 to now (forgetting that little blimp vs IND the other day) because he gave less chances?:wacko:

I know how you are going to defend it so don't bother, because again you will struggle to convince anyone.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which is easily one of the most (if not the most) knowledgeable cricketening discussion circles you are likely to find anywhere in the world in sure. So if its rediculed here surely that would be enough to convince you otherwise. Rich would you be brave enough to argue this theory with Ian Chappell or Richie Benaud?
Not sure about Chappell because I plain don't like the guy, but I'd give it a mention in the unlikely event that I had a long chat with Richie, certainly.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey Rich, quick question regarding first chance... If a player gets out from a dodgy decision, would you just consider it a not out for him as he hasn't actually offered his first chance?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Rich, quick question regarding first chance... If a player gets out from a dodgy decision, would you just consider it a not out for him as he hasn't actually offered his first chance?
Or decisions that are inconclusive?