• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most promising young batsman

Who is the most promising young batsman?

• Total voters

DingDong

State Captain
guys stop putting pressure on these kids ok. they're still only children. u shouldn't be comparing and juding young kids like this. it could scar them for life.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
In order IMO:

- Akmal
- Ferguson
- Hughes
- Barath
- All the young Indians TBH (Sharma, Kohli, Vijay, Panday, Raina). Whether they step up is another thing..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook is over 25 with 51 Tests to his name. Way out of the "promising young batsman" category at this point, surely.

morgieb

And Swanneh's over 30 and is a bowler FFS.

Morgan's 23, perhaps young enough to be considered, but rules say U/21. Kohli's good, but only became good after the thread was created.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain

Morgan's 23, perhaps young enough to be considered, but rules say U/21. Kohli's good, but only became good after the thread was created.
A first class average of 50 and being the dominate batsman at the last u19 world cup suggests otherwise, reckon he was just forgotten

bryce

International Regular
Williamson should be a high quality number 3 in time. What about Mitchell Marsh coming into the tough Aussie domestic comp and scoring runs consistently across all forms at such a young age.

subshakerz

International Coach
Interesting thread, to be totally honest I don't think are that many great young batting talents around at the moment, Pujara looks promising, very good temperament, but injuries and the continued selection of Yuvraj in the test side may hold him back. Matthews (SL) looks well organised and has a good temperament, Sharma (Ind) oozes class but his technique and temperament are too loose. In England there a few names being spoken about, e.g. Northeast, Hamilton-Brown, but neither are really setting the county scene alight. Bopara is young enough to be discussed but similarly to Sharma he has technical and temperamental issues, Cook just refuses to improve. Umar Akmal is very talented, but whether he can progress from flat track bully to proper batsman remains to be seen (his brother hasn't done it). Hughes is probably one to watch, though I'm not convinced with his technique he does seem to score an awful lot of runs. Anyone from South Africa?
Not sure its fair to call him a flat track bully, given his performances thus far in NZ and Australia.

Sir Alex

Banned

Lol. More like you were ignorant of him. He was the captain of the U-19 World cup winning team in 2008.

morgieb

Err, I didn't start up the poll. I asked respondents to a certain cut-off date who they thought and which ones out of those were likely to have an international career. Obv. there were those that were posted after the cut-off date (Barath, Kolhi & Shehzad come to mind), so they didn't make the poll. "Other" is there for a reason.

Jayzamann

International Regular
It's hard to go past Umar Akmal rightaboutnow. I would have said Hughes this time last year fosho, but he's crashed down to earth (albeit unnecessarily) and I really hope he doesn't take ages to pick himself up again.