• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most promising young batsman

Who is the most promising young batsman?

• Total voters

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A year after making this thread, let's see what's happened.....

Hughes - got found out at the highest level.
Pujara - has been very good ats.
Brathwaite - yet to do much, remains very talented though.
Akmal - turned out to be an idiot, like soooo many Pakistani batsmen.
Taylor - has done pretty good for himself - should play internationals soon.
Vandiar - don't really know.
Rossouw - has been playing pretty well, should be a gun.
Williamson - got a test gig and did pretty damn good, should be a mainstay for New Zealand.
Tamin - has been excellent at test level, on his way to being Bangladesh's best ever bat.

Flem274*

123/5
Lollin at this poll. Guess this is what happens though when most people haven't seen all the players and half of them hadn't played a test match. Missed Darren Bravo, Steve Smith and Usman Khawaja too. Shows how much someones stock can rise in a year.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
A year after making this thread, let's see what's happened.....

Hughes - got found out at the highest level.
Pujara - has been very good ats.
Brathwaite - yet to do much, remains very talented though.
Akmal - turned out to be an idiot, like soooo many Pakistani batsmen.
Taylor - has done pretty good for himself - should play internationals soon.
Vandiar - don't really know.
Rossouw - has been playing pretty well, should be a gun.
Williamson - got a test gig and did pretty damn good, should be a mainstay for New Zealand.
Tamin - has been excellent at test level, on his way to being Bangladesh's best ever bat.
In South Africa's preliminary WC squad and is reinvented himself as an onside pinch hitting opener. Had almost zero first class success recently but has put in strong limited over performances. Formerly an excellent athletic fielder, Vandiar seems to be going down the Ryder route. Looked overweight in the Champions League.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Williamson looks the most promising out of all, his technique is also really good. The Australia series will be the real test for him.

Flem274*

123/5
Khawaja, Williamson and Tamim are easily the best of the young batsmen I have seen (basically those three plus Hughes, Smith and Umar Akmal).

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Dinesh Chandimal worth a mention
Dont know about Kraigg as a test batsman, but Lara mk2 and Barath should be good/great for us for a long time. At the very least very good building blocks.For the first time in along time, quite happy with our middle order right now.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Almost worth doing a prediction of who will go better out of Tamim and Williamson. Tamim must get himself into a county side asap to develop further.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think you misunderstood my post: I'm saying Williamson, Tamim and Khawaja are streets ahead of the likes of Steve Smith.
You mentioned Smith in the same breath as some Akmal and Hughes who I consider to be better than him - unless you have high hopes for his leg spin.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Pujara, Williamson and Kirk Edwards, IMHO.

A few rough edges for lil' Bravo (technical) and Umar Akmal (temperamental). If those are sorted out, don't see a reason why these two shouldn't become quality test batsmen.