• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
http://www.cricketworld.com.au/odirates.htm

Kapil Dev comes out top on the SR/ER, out of current players the top 6 are: Wasim, Shahid Afridi, Klusener, Jayasuriya, Hooper, Tendulkar (so not great...)

Batting Ave divided by Bowling Ave (I use this for Club/School stats) gives:
1 Klusener, 2 Kallis, 3 Richards, 4 Imran Khan, 5 Abdur Razzaq, 6 Cronje, 7 Hooper, 8 Shaun Pollock, 9 Richard Hadlee, 10 S Waugh, 11 Tendulkar, 12 Cairns.

Using their Batting & Bowling Performance Ratings:
Klusener, Richards, GS Chapple, Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, Kapil Dev, Kallis, Ganguly, Cronje, ME Waugh, Abdur Razzaq, Hooper.

So inconclusive, really...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
okay if u see the triangular finals between Sri Lanka vs South Africa

you wouldnt say Sanath was over rated , he did a good job batting well hitting 71 and saved the sri lankan team i guess with some good captaincy and rotating his bowlers well

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Possibly Nasser Hussain deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as the phrase "most overrated captain".

Appealing against the light last night as captain of a fielding side was the action of a weasel.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No.

I've been an admirer of Hussain's captaincy over the last couple of years. It's just that I think that he needs to be a little more flexible if Plan 'A' doesn't work.

I think that a Plan 'B' might help - or maybe he's already implemented Plan 'B' - lull the Indians into a false sense of security. Hey, that one worked. :D

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I have not seen this match live, but I get the impression it has eerie similarities with the Eng/Pak test in Karachi a few years back, when Pak was playing for a draw, throughout the last day: appealing for bad light as the fielding side, and Razzaq I think scored 0 runs off 30 odd balls.

This time the tables were turned and Eng were on the receiving end. It really does impact negatively when a team starts playing to 'not lose', and In Pak's case it was worse because had they played faster, in the morning the match would have become out of the reach of Eng, but unfortunately the Pak think tank Moin/Miandad had other ideas.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The 'appeal against the light' this time was on day two, when Ganguly and Tendulkar were giving it a serious bit of tonk. The start had been delayed an hour and although England's over rate was not great, it wasn't (or at least didn't seem to be) deliberately slow like the Pakistan bowling looked at the end of the test you were talking about.

The same problems were met by the fielding side, although wasn't the problem in Pakistan also to do with Ramadan because the sun had officially set? (forgive me if I am wrong here)

I recall the West Indies once bowling 10 overs in an hour many years ago in similar circumstances - this was the prime reason for the introduction of minimum overs per day, fines for low over rates based on a percentage of the match fee etc.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I think u r right about Ramadan, but its pretty simple with Ramadan, the players take a few minutes break when the sun sets. Thats it, no more. Pak were bowling slower purposely to make sure it got dark for english batsmen.

I remember the Pak players complaining that the light was so bad, they could not see it on the boundary line, and I think Moin missed a couple of takes behind the stumps, because he couldnt see in the poor light :)

I dont remeber the WI bowling rate, but over the years India I think have been the biggest culprit in slow bowling rates and also unnecessary appealing. Especailly unnecessary appeling needs to be somehow curbed by ICC, it puts just too much pressure on the umps, who are already under so much pressure due to tv replays and all the camera angles.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The thing that annoys me about the slow Indian over rate is the fact they've usually got a spinner at one end!

Andre

International Regular
Definetly Flintoff after last matches performance. Injured or not, a pair is pretty average. We may have a new Ramprakash on our hands with Rob Key - hes made afew starts but......

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw one Flintoff delivery not even make the pitch, disappointing for him & a bit of a let down to someone like Botham who has continuously praised him.

Still..you are still allowed to have one bad test match every so often & its whether FLintoff can bounce back now.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
About flintoff's bowling, i mean to say that he just doesn't look to me to be anything big.Another medium pacer who runs up to the wicket and hopes the pitch will do it for him(leaving apart the variation in speed). Cannot possibly hope for such a player to survive the longer challenge. He just would not have the armor to get batsmen out.

At best he is a utility player that can be useful in one dayers, doubtful if he should be in the test side.

Tell me if that is a fair assesment...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gotchya, I think that is a very fair assessment.

For years, every new bug has been baggaged with the label 'new Ian Botham' - it certainly happened to Corky, and he was probably the only one to come anywhere near justifying the tag in his first 10 tests.

I think that Flintoff is 'useful' at best. He can be a match-winner with the bat, but he will never be a match saver (I don't think the guy will ever learn how to defend). His bowling, whilst coming in for praise from various circles, is at best threatening and at worse diabolical - he strikes me as someone who could come on to bowl 3 or 4 overs when a batsman is set, just for a change.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And his current Test averages bear you out on that front.

Re Andre/Rob Key - He's had two starts. Ramprakash has done it for years and years. Marvan Atapattu got 1 run in his first 6 innings, and Eddie has already outlined some other slow starters (Sobers!). I think that what you said could be taken as libel by some! :D