• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I believe he was proclaimed the World's Greatest All-Rounder not long ago, nor a million miles away...
By who ?....by some dimwit, right ? Aren't we proving to be the same by even looking at the perspective of a moron.

C'mon fellas, let's not lose it.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
What about Richard Ellison, a former England swing bowler of the 80's? He was regarded as a guy with tons of potential, but faded away after a coupla seasons.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No good sorry.

I think we're going to have to go back to Fulton, as I still think he's not worthy of an England call-up ever!

:D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
We need to make up a new verb, to "Argue for argument's sake"...

Fulton is only under-performing this season because he has the captaincy of Kent. Without it, he would be, like last year, consistently knocking up 100/200 ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But he's still too old to start in International Cricket, and I wouldn't be so sure he would perform like he did last year. Looking long term, he's not had a great career.

Andre

International Regular
Hoggard. Caddick. Flintoff. All useless, just picked on reputation. None have done well against any top countries. Flintoff embarrased himself in South Africa, Caddick gets hammered by the Aussies and Hoggard has never dismissed a quality batting line-up. Honourable mention to Ian Bell.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hoggard. Caddick. Flintoff. All useless, just picked on reputation. None have done well against any top countries. Flintoff embarrased himself in South Africa, Caddick gets hammered by the Aussies and Hoggard has never dismissed a quality batting line-up. Honourable mention to Ian Bell.
OK, New carrots. Time to find some stats to back myself up first. Hoggard is still young, was very quick to 50 wickets and was bowling very well v India's top order this series - possibly not as good as the PwC ratings make out, but on the whole not as overrated as Nehra/Agarkar!.

Flintoff, yeah, maybe a little overrated, only averaging 23/42 in Tests atm, will come to him eventually.

Caddick's been hit by injury of late but he doesn't travel well at all. Except from in New Zealand but that doesn't really count...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
David Beckham. :D

oops, is it cricket that we are talking about ....well its gotta be a Brit anywho, a toss-up between Caddick and Thorpe I suppose :D :D

[Edited on 8/14/02 by aussie_beater]

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator
David Beckham. :D

oops, is it cricket that we are talking about ....well its gotta be a Brit anyhu, a toss-up between Caddick and Thorpe I suppose :D :D
and why wud it be a brit. :I :confused: most of players are dismissed as rubbish in the subcontinent and other places by many fans so i dont think that any of our players can come anywhere near the most over rated.

imo the most overrated players are insamin, shoiab, nehra and agarker (probly only in india tho), and chris cairns

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
most of players are dismissed as rubbish in the subcontinent and other places by many fans so i dont think that any of our players can come anywhere near the most over rated.
Exactly. Remember we are talking about overrated for which a player needs to qualify by being rated first :D

Now would you start talking about Parthiv Patel in this thread or maybe Simon Jones ? We have to wait for a while to start talking about them, capisch ?

Andre

International Regular
I actually do think those guys are overrated - yet I am an Aussie, so I suppose I think all English suck ;)