• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
OT: My brother bought an X-Box this week. For some reason, each console has an individual "Name" (some kind of identifier, I guess).

Guess what this one's called?

Butcher!!!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i dont think i would call Sanath Overrated he lives upto his expectations does a good job as captain scores runs and chips in the bowling when he is needed

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interestingly enough, Jayasuriya is rated as being in the top 5 allrounders for ODI's.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I thought that would raise discussion.

My reasons for him being overrated:

Firstly, he is ranked number 6 in the World for ODIs with the bat, yet he averages only just over 30, which is, in all honesty, not very good.

As a captain he doesn't really do a great deal - throw the ball to Murali and hope.

He is also a little bit selfish IMO. How often do you see a team all out against SL with Jayasuriya coming on at the end of the innings and taking 2 or 3 tail-enders wickets? In fact he doesn't always take wickets, but does tend to bring himself on against the weaker bowlers.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Unfortunately (for the thread..), I agree with Marc, especially from the point of view of the bowling.

Take the SA game the other day, Murali 8 overs, 1-18, Sanath 5 overs, 3-25 - v the tail. Makes Marc's point very well.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember the first time I saw Jeff Thomson. I thought that he was the biggest pile of overrated tripe ever - in the first innings of his first test in England, he bowled 10 pretty ropey overs, and I was thinking 'how did this guy get 33 wickets in his first series against England?' - it just so happened in that first innings Lille and Max 'Mike'
:D Walker (sorry, been listening to too much '12th Man' again) skittled England out for 101.

Come the second innings, he was unplayable and took 5-30 something. Then I realised 'oh, that's how'.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interestingly enough, Jayasuriya is rated as being in the top 5 allrounders for ODI's.
Just looked at the official site and he's been knocked out of there by Chris Gayle.

I think that says a lot!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would think once Cairns & Adams return, they might make a push for a top 5 ODI all-rounder spot, especially if Gayle & Jayasuriya are mingling around.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cairns maybe, Adams definitely not.

He'll be on a par with Flintoff i'd have thought.

It's a very bizarre way of calculating because at the moment England's number 1 all-rounder is Darren Gough!

Andre

International Regular
Im not sure whether that is good for Gough or just sums up the standard of some players England have treid in recent years...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
More than anything, it shows the weakness of the algorithm used to produce yet another meaningless list.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I agree, that's why I said it.

It's calculated by multiplying the batting rating by the bowling rating.

Hardly very accurate as it is biased towards those who are exceptional at one discipline and OK at the other.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Oh Dear. I reckon we've comprehensively debunked that ranking system as being any good.

Simpler and more relevant for ODIs - Batting Strike Rate divided by Bowling Economy Rate.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which would probably make Flintoff up there if not top as he slogs, and doesn't bowl too expensively.

Although I think there's a Sri Lankan (Zoysa?) who has a strike rate of about 120 who may push him off top spot!

BTW I still agree with the batting and bowling PwC ratings, it's the all-rounders that's rubbish.