• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most lll treated players

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Misbah was ill treated by Inzi. He never wanted Misbah, who only got in the squad after Inzi left. I think Inzi also had something against Asim Kamal.

Sadaf Hussain is being poorly treated by the PCB. He might not be the quickest and may fail at International level but he should be given a chance, especially when rubbish players like Tanvir Ahmed and Sohail Tanveer have been given chances.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Nick Compton, told to piss off because he wasn't the sycophantic new boy and was as slow as Cook, only to be replaced by a Dud Root, Carberry who batted way slower and Robson who was less than impressive.

Hughes, Lyon and Sarwan also come to mind in recent memory.
Give me a ****ing break. Compton.

Dude averages almost the same as Carberry and Robson. Compton was a blocker who was never gonna really do better than he did. You would have thought he averaged 45 the way people talk about him. He averaged 31.93 @ sr of 34.68. How many games are you gonna win like that? And that isn't an anomaly. The two years before in the county championship he scored a lot of runs at a pedestrian strike rate (2201 @ average of 73.36 and sr of 45.5). To score that amount of runs at a strike rate so low of 45 is relatively unheard off and suggests a player of limited ability and shot making quality especially as he plays half his games at Taunton which is one of the quickest scoring grounds in the country.

For your reference during the tests Compton and Cook played together Cook scored 969 runs @ 60.6 average and a strike rate of 44.7. And has a career strike rate of 46.82. So quite a bit quicker than Compton (479 runs @ 31.93 avg @ 34.68sr).

Simply put Compton was too much of a blocker to ever be succesful and his age worked against him because at 30 he had little time to improve his offensive game.

If anything Carberry has the most right to feel agrieved about his dropping. He performed as well as any England batsman in extremely tough conditions and was dropped. And for your information he still scored comfortably quicker than Compton.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
In Comptons short 9 test career he and Cook put on 3x 100 opening stands...........England haven't managed one since they dropped him (17 tests)

Alistair Cook also made his last century in the last game Compo played...........the partnership worked.

Mate I don't give a **** what his strike rate was.........I'd rather be 100/0 with Compton contributing 30 of them than 20/1 in the 5th over.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
he still scored comfortably quicker than Compton.
Do you enjoy claiming things that can't be backed up. 3 innings in a 5 test match series he scored at an SR over 50.

One of those was the very last innings where the entire team lost the will to live and started swinging for the fences. The other two were at Perth which really does give more value for your shots than any other in Aus.

The rest of the time he got easily bogged down and had not to impressive strike rates, including that exceptional 12 off 81 at Melbourne which was a miserable show.

They both have not too impressive strike rates in Tests, the difference is Compton statistically did better in his time. Compton probably wasn't the right match for Cook in hindsight given his play style, still didn't deserve to be dropped for a poor two test series though, especially given Bairstow retained his place for the Ashes. And especially given what he managed to do with Cook in the time they had as partnership.

Last edited:

theegyptian

In Comptons short 9 test career he and Cook put on 3x 100 opening stands...........England haven't managed one since they dropped him (17 tests)

Alistair Cook also made his last century in the last game Compo played...........the partnership worked.

Mate I don't give a **** what his strike rate was.........I'd rather be 100/0 with Compton contributing 30 of them than 20/1 in the 5th over.
Yes I'm sure Cook's bad form is all down to Compton not being at the other.

theegyptian

Do you enjoy claiming things that can't be backed up. 3 innings in a 5 test match series he scored at an SR over 50.
You're original post said 'Carberry who batted way slower'. He didn't. Stop talking rubbish.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're original post said 'Carberry who batted way slower'. He didn't. Stop talking rubbish.
A pity as soon as you saw that first sentence you probably decided not to read anything else and just post a worthless reply.

It's certainly not an exaggeration to say he batted way slower at times, all the time? Of course not. Regardless having a go at Compton for his strike rate when Carberry was really no better (35 vs Carberry's aggregate for the series of 41) is rubbish. Especially given how much better Compton was as a partner for Cook during that time.

Last edited:

theegyptian

A pity as soon as you saw that first sentence you probably decided not to read anything else and just post a worthless reply.

It's certainly not an exaggeration to say he batted way slower at times, all the time? Of course not. Regardless having a go at Compton for his strike rate when Carberry was really no better (35 vs Carberry's aggregate for the series of 41) is rubbish. Especially given how much better Compton was as a partner for Cook during that time.
You only made one sentence in your original post referring to Compton. There really wasn't much right with it and I critiqued it my original post. You then went into specifics and were still wrong.

Compton was possibly mildly unlucky not to start the ashes but most ill treated player in the history of cricket. Good one.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I liked Compton and was one of the most vocal about how he'd been unfairly treated at the time, but he hasn't really done anything since to make it seem like a bad decision, even if the replacements haven't done anything to make it seem a good one.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Compton's dropping also seems worse because Cook's form's disappeared. Had Cook carried on in a roughly similar vein then with the occasional contribution from his opening partners, nobody would care about Compton.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Fawad Alam has to take the cake.

Scores 168 on test debut opening despite being a middle order batsman through his career finds himself out of the side 2 tests later never gets a chance again despite averaging 50+ for five seasons.

Gets dropped from odi side despite averaging 37 fights his way back takes his average to 48 has 2 bad games gets dropped again for Shafiq and Younis who unsurprisingly stinks up the joint. Asked to play a domestic tourney to prove his form and fitness before World cup guns it again and then misses out on world cup selection for Younis f'in Khan.

I will not blame him if he calls it quits.
That's very bad. Poor bloke.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Compton was possibly mildly unlucky not to start the ashes but most ill treated player in the history of cricket. Good one.
No one has said that. I brought Compton's name into the discussion, and simply said.........

from a recent England POV I'm going to nominate the dropping of Nick Compton as the one that still grates me the most.

That was the first of some very questionable England selections in that period and pretty much where it all started to go to **** for us.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gus Fraser seemed to be ****ed over pretty thoroughly by Raymond Illingworth.

Very obviously our most reliable seamer of the 90s, yet some of the bowlers selected ahead of him (McCague, Joey Benjamin) for the 94/95 Ashes tour weren't fit to carry his jockstrap.

Chubb

International Regular

Very obviously our most reliable seamer of the 90s, yet some of the bowlers selected ahead of him (McCague, Joey Benjamin) for the 94/95 Ashes tour weren't fit to carry his jockstrap.
Illingworth easily one of the worst things to happen to English cricket. Mismanaged and mistreated so many players and remained completely unrepentant about it.

Flem274*

123/5
Peter Ingram.

Dominated the Plunket Shield for years. Repeatedly ignored in favour of spuds (early Guptill in particular), gets given two tests and is run out twice in his final test.

His technique wasn't likely to see much success (but we all thought that about McIntosh and he scored two hundreds) but he deserved more of a chance. The selectors were just purists who didn't want to admit Ingram was better than guys who looked good at the crease like Guptill and Watling but who weren't actually any good.

Blocky

Banned
Peter Ingram.

Dominated the Plunket Shield for years. Repeatedly ignored in favour of spuds (early Guptill in particular), gets given two tests and is run out twice in his final test.

His technique wasn't likely to see much success (but we all thought that about McIntosh and he scored two hundreds) but he deserved more of a chance. The selectors were just purists who didn't want to admit Ingram was better than guys who looked good at the crease like Guptill and Watling but who weren't actually any good.
Nice guy, but it was his performances in the ODI and for NZ A that got him dropped from the test side.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This is a great shout.

Fraser was an awesome bowler, the best Pommie bowler since Snow imo. Was always happy when England didn't pick him. Very poorly dealt with.