• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most comprehensive defeats of Australia in their own backyard

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope can't touch the ground during the entire process of completing a catch. Regardless it doesn't even matter, there were several worse decisions.
"worse decisions" that have nothing to do with "Australia cheating"?

I'm going to be honest I always assumed that the Aussies must have done something dodgy to get such a reaction from you guys regarding that game, but now that I see that it was literally nothing (looks like India "cheated" a lot more than Australia) I have to say I'm not actually surprised.

Just wish I'd educated myself on it earlier so I could call it out for the bs it is this whole time

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a lot of the Indians' anger was mainly directed towards Bucknor's decisions earlier in the game. The controversial Clarke catch just happened to be a tipping point. I remember reading in someone's tour diary from 1998 (Waugh's maybe?) that he thought the Aussies were robbed a Test due to dodgy umpiring decisions. Memory is fuzzy on that one. That was just part of the game back then IMO. Mistakes and/or bribes will happen & players will always feel hard done by.

TheJediBrah

I think a lot of the Indians' anger was mainly directed towards Bucknor's decisions earlier in the game. The controversial Clarke catch just happened to be a tipping point. I remember reading in someone's tour diary from 1998 (Waugh's maybe?) that he thought the Aussies were robbed a Test due to dodgy umpiring decisions. Memory is fuzzy on that one. That was just part of the game back then IMO. Mistakes and/or bribes will happen & players will always feel hard done by.
So the whole "Australians cheated" thing is a complete fabrication

OverratedSanity

It's one of the most poorly officiated games in any sport I've ever seen. I think there was a ton of sympathy for India initially even from Australian fans because the number of poor decisions was lopsided so badly to India's detriment and came at crucial moments.

India just lost all that sympathy because they went "aussies cheated" instead of "we were robbed by poor umpiring". I mean, Australia were indeed cheats but probably less so by their standards in that game.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
So the whole "Australians cheated" thing is a complete fabrication
They were just upset. What about that time Aussie fans called Stuart Broad a "cheat" just because he didn't walk after being given not out by the umpire? Since when is that cheating?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It's one of the most poorly officiated games in any sport I've ever seen. I think there was a ton of sympathy for India initially even from Australian fans because number of poor the decisions was lopsided so badly to India's detriment and came at crucial moments.

India just lost all that sympathy because they went "aussies cheated" instead of "we were robbed by poor umpiring". I mean, Australia were indeed cheats but probably less so by their standards in that game.
Yeah there were some absolute shockers made in that match. Sydney '08 ended up being one of the driving factors behind the introduction of DRS. Strange thing is, India were the last cricket team to adopt the new system that was designed to prevent a repeat of Sydney '08.

TheJediBrah

They were just upset. What about that time Aussie fans called Stuart Broad a "cheat" just because he didn't walk after being given not out by the umpire? Since when is that cheating?
And still going on about it now? constantly? I've heard about it a dozen times in the last few weeks.

Broad never cheated, no one seriously thinks he's a cheat either. It was all a bit of theatre and I doubt anyone will be talking about it in a decade.

Burgey

Fans being dickheads snd a team literally threatening to go home are two very different things

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread is a shambles

Nowhere near enough discussion of 2010/11
First series I ever followed that one. I remember at the time I actually used to support whoever Australia was playing against because I disliked the Australian team for some reason. Only a bit after I started reading this place did I become a committed Australian fan. That 98 sure was a moment.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
And still going on about it now? constantly? I've heard about it a dozen times in the last few weeks.

Broad never cheated, no one seriously thinks he's a cheat either. It was all a bit of theatre and I doubt anyone will be talking about it in a decade.
Haha true. You gotta remember Indians are more obsessed with cricket than Australians. And there was plenty of theatre at the SCG in '08. Joy, sorrow, resentment, the whole sha-bang.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Fans being dickheads snd a team literally threatening to go home are two very different things
100%. Although I'd wager a lot of that was the BCCI strong-arming, not sure if they would have actually gone through with it though. Was woefully unsportsmanlike.

shankar

International Debutant
Tendulkar changing his tune over what he heard and didn’t hear should have seen him basically lampooned for the rest of his career. Woeful performance on his part.
Is this delusion peculiar to just you or is this the standard version believed by Australian cricket fans? It was Mike Procter who in his farcical hearing, deemed that Tendulkar was too far away to have possibly heard any of the exchange. Justice Hansen in his hearing determined from the video recordings that Tendulkar was, in fact close enough to hear the exchange and recorded his testimony.