• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most comprehensive defeats of Australia in their own backyard

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India tour of Australia 2007-08 ,India easily won that series but denied by idiot umpire Steve bukner (also Wrost cheating I have ever seen in cricket by Australian team ) .
Provide the video please. I wanna see this idiot umpire displaying his cheating.

TheJediBrah

India tour of Australia 2007-08 ,India easily won that series but denied by idiot umpire Steve bukner (also Wrost cheating I have ever seen in cricket by Australian team ) .
Still trying to work out how an incompetent West Indian umpire is "cheating by Australian team"

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Descriptions of Foster's bowling always seem to be light on one detail, which is the pace he bowled. I know Jardine consulted him on field settings before the 32-33 series (and Voce opened around like him) but the only real description I've found was 'medium-paced through the air but doubling speed off the pitch' and I wonder if he was slower than Barnes, I've got a picture supposedly of him bowling with the slips standing if anything closer than for Barnes, but the keeper at the traditional half-back distance as was quite common up to WWII.

He was certainly a swing bowler but I've seen it talked about that he could straighten it very far back down the line off the pitch as well, an amount which means he must have been able to cut or spin it more Barnes like too. You also have his meteoric rise and the premature end of his career, he alone might have made English cricket much stronger after the war, when they had basically no good pace bowling.

I wonder if A Massive Zebra has any more detailed descriptions?
Some stuff from "The Trundlers" by Harry Pearson (don't know how accurate it is - it says that he used Robert Brooke's book on Foster (presumably "FR Foster: The Fields Were Suddenly Bare")):

"Foster bowled left-arm over the wicket from so far wide of the crease that right-handed batsmen had to crane over their shoulder to see his delivery stride. He angled the ball across the right-hander, swinging the ball in to him prodigiously and late even in the clear, hot sun of Australia. Tiger Smith... claimed that his swing was so delayed the ball seemed to straighten up in the last few feet before the batsman played it.

The young Warwickshire captain also had a well-concealed slower ball and also occasionally broke one away from the right-hander off the pitch. Like Barnes he seemed to make his deliveries hurry on... In-swing, however, was Foster's main weapon and he concentrated on a middle-and-leg-stump line to a field that featured six men on the on-side, three in close catching positions."

"Foster is often described in contemporary accoutns as fast-medium, but any idea that he was the Edwardian Wasim Akram should be put aside. Smith always stood up to him, and even got a leg-side stumping off him to dismiss Clem Hill. It seems that the term fast-medium was used only to distinguish his pace from that of Jack Hearne, Syd Barnes and George Lohmann. Foster was quicker than all of them, but he was a trundler sure enough."

Daemon

Still trying to work out how an incompetent West Indian umpire is "cheating by Australian team"
Yeah tbf it was just the grassed catches being claimed that people were calling cheating. It was nothing out of the ordinary for Australia.

Ponting sliding the ball across the turf and the using it to prop himself up was the highlight.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah tbf it was just the grassed catches being claimed that people were calling cheating. It was nothing out of the ordinary for Australia.

Ponting sliding the ball across the turf and the using it to prop himself up was the highlight.
Symonds not walking ... clarke waiting for ump after edging to slip all contributed to the feeling.

Tbf none of those were cheating technically at least

TheJediBrah

Symonds not walking ... clarke waiting for ump after edging to slip all contributed to the feeling.

Tbf none of those were cheating technically at least
Almost as if India experienced in that Test what every side touring the subcontinent ever went through before neutral umpires

OverratedSanity

Almost as if India experienced in that Test what every side touring the subcontinent ever went through before neutral umpires
Ironically if the concept of neutral umpires didn't exist, Simon Taufel, who was atleast 10 times the umpire Bucknor/Benson was, would've umpired that test

Test fan

U19 Vice-Captain
Don't give explanation of Australian cheating .they known always cheater . sandpaper latest proved that .

TheJediBrah

Ironically if the concept of neutral umpires didn't exist, Simon Taufel, who was atleast 10 times the umpire Bucknor/Benson was, would've umpired that test
He was really great. Surprised he didn't hang around the scene longer. I'm assuming he must have got a better job

Burgey

Now that I'm back at work and have a bit more time on my hands, I'd like to extend a big CW welcome to ishqiya and Test fan, a couple of top quality additions to the forum who bring a level of analysis which we've really been lacking for years. Welcome, guys.

Victor Ian

International Coach
How do you go about saying the bowlers didn’t trouble India’s batsmen this series, is what I mean? Massive score here but before that the next highest was 440 odd batting first in Melbourne with four dropped catches. I think you’re being a bit harsh here.
Comparitively. I meant not troubling as in getting India out for a score that our batsmen had a chance at. Actually, pujara aside, I guess they generally did.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Wow, that is worse than I remember. Although I'd say this current series ranks #1 in the context of the OP, with this 10/11 series at #2. At least with that series loss it was against the old enemy, which had triumphed in Australia many times before that.
Nah. The context of the opening post was to trivialise this series. England 10/11 are far ahead.

vcs

Yeah, that series was terrible for Australia apart from Perth. 517/1 lol

It was interesting how the English attack worked as a pack like the Indian bowlers did this time, denying them easy runs, getting batsmen out for a lot of 20s-30s etc. Of course that batting lineup was way superior on paper, but Hussey aside, they never clicked all series.