• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most comprehensive defeats of Australia in their own backyard

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh I love how australian fans are almost more triggered by Sydney 08 than Indians are.

Also, we only lost 5 wickets after lunch on day 5 because the umpires were ****e which almost seems too obvious to point out you shunt. And Australia cheated as usual. Only one team played in the spirit of the game. **** off australia.

Last edited:

vcs

Some of the replies on this thread haha.

Feels good that India have inflicted some real misery on a few opposition fans. :cool:

Burgey

Heh I love how australian fans are almost more triggered by Sydney 08 than Indians are.

Also, we only lost 5 wickets after lunch on day 5 because the umpires were ****e which almost seems too obvious to point out you shunt. And Australia cheated as usual. Only one team played in the spirit of the game. **** off australia.
No group of fans of any team in any sport are capable of being as triggered as Indian fans were and are by Sydney 08. This place was the Chennai of fora in the aftermath. It was that bad.

OverratedSanity

Some of the replies on this thread haha.

Feels good that India have inflicted some real misery on a few opposition fans. :cool:
Yes I think it's fair to say this humiliation inflicted on Australia is vengeance for Sydney 2008. Although we being the honest people that we are, we managed to do it by playing in the spirit of the game, shaking the opposition captains hand after winning, not cheating, not having cheating umpires in our pockets and not acting like flogs on the field, apart from kohli.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

He averaged 33 in sl in 2004 when supposedly at his peak. I don't think this helps your case.
Probably should have checked that. For some reason I thought he did better.

He wasn't even dismissed by Murali once that series either so I can't use chucking as an excuse.

eh doesn't change the fact that comparing 2004 series in India to this one is poor, and that one was a bigger achievement than the other

OverratedSanity

Tendulkar rescuing a brown man incorrectly accused of racism should go down as one of the greatest moments in cricket history.

TheJediBrah

What is the whole deal with the Sydney 08 thing anyway? I know there was the whole monkeygate, and Tendulkar ball tampered and then India whinged about it and overturned a suspension. Yet all I hear on here from Indians is about how Australia "cheated". I also know that series Symonds edged behind one game and was given not out, but that's hardly "cheating".

I don't deny that there clearly has to be a justification as to why Indians complain so much about that game but what is it? I'm assuming an Australian must have done something pretty bad to engender the sort of response it's had.

Burgey

Tendulkar rescuing a brown man incorrectly accused of racism should go down as one of the greatest moments in cricket history.
Tendulkar changing his tune over what he heard and didn’t hear should have seen him basically lampooned for the rest of his career. Woeful performance on his part.

Burgey

What is the whole deal with the Sydney 08 thing anyway? I know there was the whole monkeygate, and Tendulkar ball tampered and then India whinged about it and overturned a suspension. Yet all I hear on here from Indians is about how Australia "cheated". I also know that series Symonds edged behind one game and was given not out, but that's hardly "cheating".

I don't deny that there clearly has to be a justification as to why Indians complain so much about that game but what is it? I'm assuming an Australian must have done something pretty bad to engender the sort of response it's had.
What happened was a series of umpiring decisions went against India, which as you know has never happened before to any other team in the history of cricket. They then did what all reasonable sporting teams do in such a situation, and had a match official sent home to the West Indies so he couldn’t umpire any more in the series.

In the same match Harby had been accused of calling Symonds a monkey, something which he had done before (along with a whole section of what passes for a stadium in India). St Sachin of Selective Deafness originally said he didn’t hear anything, then said Singh said maan ki, which was as transparent as glad wrap and obviously a stitch up. When three Australian players told Ponting Symonds had been racially abused he reported it to the umpire. Apparently this makes him a cheat

On day five clarke caught ganguly(?) at second slip and ganguly thought it bounced. Irony then died given his own effort in the 03 WC final

The captains had an agreement they would take a fielder’s word for a catch and Clarke told Ponting he caught it, so Ponting signalled our to the umpire. Indians considered this cheating despite there being no camera angle at all which proved the ball bounced. It was bad luck for the batsman who would no doubt have gone on to make eight

Basically it was the start of the golden era of Sc dummy spits, threatened walk offs, tour cancellations etc

TheJediBrah

What happened was a series of umpiring decisions went against India, which as you know has never happened before to any other team in the history of cricket. They then did what all reasonable sporting teams do in such a situation, and had a match official sent home to the West Indies so he couldn’t umpire any more in the series.

In the same match Harby had been accused of calling Symonds a monkey, something which he had done before (along with a whole section of what passes for a stadium in India). St Sachin of Selective Deafness originally said he didn’t hear anything, then said Singh said maan ki, which was as transparent as glad wrap and obviously a stitch up. When three Australian players told Ponting Symonds had been racially abused he reported it to the umpire. Apparently this makes him a cheat

On day five clarke caught ganguly(?) at second slip and ganguly thought it bounced. Irony then died given his own effort in the 03 WC final

The captains had an agreement they would take a fielder’s word for a catch and Clarke told Ponting he caught it, so Ponting signalled our to the umpire. Indians considered this cheating despite there being no camera angle at all which proved the ball bounced. It was bad luck for the batsman who would no doubt have gone on to make eight

Basically it was the start of the golden era of Sc dummy spits, threatened walk offs, tour cancellations etc
So you're telling me that all this "Australians cheating Sydney 08" thing that I've been hearing about for years is based purely on:
- a non-Australian umpire making a couple of bad calls
- a close catch that was probably out but Indian didn't want to walk so complained about???

I find that hard to believe

OverratedSanity

Lol it wasn't just that ball may have bounced before Clarke caught it, it was that he rolled over after "catching" it and pinned it to the grass. Joke of a decision. Although not as much as dravid being sawn off when the ball when a metre away from the bat. Sachin said the right thing and let's not forget Procter had previously made comments about how he literally has a different yardstick for subcontinent teams than he does for others. This alone should destroy any credibility he has but it's ignored all the time.

The best thing to come out of it was bucknor's career ending. Bloke was always rubbish against everyone.

Burgey

What was interesting was how Tendulkar failed to defend his team mate to the umpires on the field despite apparently clearly hearing what was said and being in a position to clear up any misunderstanding.

Contemporaneous evidence is always best. His was obviously an invention

TheJediBrah

Lol it wasn't just that ball may have bounced before Clarke caught it, it was that he rolled over after "catching" it and pinned it to the grass. Joke of a decision. Although not as much as dravid being sawn off when the ball when a metre away from the bat. Sachin said the right thing and let's not forget Procter had previously made comments about how he literally has a different yardstick for subcontinent teams than he does for others. This alone should destroy any credibility he has but it's ignored all the time.

The best thing to come out of it was bucknor's career ending. Bloke was always rubbish against everyone.
So the Australian cheating thing was literally just Clarke's catch?

I think I actually vaguely remember the pinning to the grass thing and wondering why it even mattered. Seemed to me like if you caught it then who cares if you press it to the ground afterward.

OverratedSanity

I think I actually vaguely remember the pinning to the grass thing and wondering why it even mattered. Seemed to me like if you caught it then who cares if you press it to the ground afterward.
Nope can't touch the ground during the entire process of completing a catch. Regardless it doesn't even matter, there were several worse decisions.

Burgey

The thing is they lost three wickets to clarke in the last over to lose the game. Glorious. But that’s not why the game was lost apparently

Be like me saying australia was robbed in this series despite their own ineptitude because Pujara didn’t walk/ wasn’t given on 80 in Adelaide, and if he was we would have won even though our batsmen couldn’t beat time with a stick. Laughable revisionism